HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Jerky video - could it be the video card?

by thebign / January 22, 2005 10:26 AM PST

I just purchased a pretty powerful HP Pavilion a830n (http://www.exactchoice.com/profile_3266.aspx). The picture quality is just fine when I'm looking at a basically static image, but when I'm watching videos with a lot of movement (for ex, a video of a horse running) the video is very jerky and slow to react to quick changes. Could this because of a cheap video card? I don't understand why this is happening because my old computer (a Compaq Presario from around 5 years ago that is a lot less powerful) plays videos fine. Thanks for your input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jerky video - could it be the video card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jerky video - could it be the video card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What kind of monitor? If it's an LCD, that is most likely
by Kiddpeat / January 22, 2005 3:13 PM PST

the source of your problem. LCDs have something called latency which means that they may not respond well to rapid changes. This is particularly true of inexpensive ones.

Collapse -
I tried my old monitor - same problem.
by thebign / January 23, 2005 1:51 AM PST

Hey, thanks for replying. I tried using my old monitor and I had the same problem, thus I assumed the problem was with my computer (and I guess more specifically, with my graphics card).

Collapse -
Video
by Oil_Tan / January 23, 2005 2:31 AM PST

How many apps are running in the back ground?
Most prebuilt machines have to many apps running all the time.
Ram?
XP updates and HP website updates?
Directx?

Collapse -
Computer Specs
by thebign / January 23, 2005 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Video

"How many apps are running in the back ground?
Most prebuilt machines have to many apps running all the time.
Ram?"

Well, this machine has an Intel Pentium 4 540J (3.20GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), and 1GB DDR SDRAM (400MHz, 2 modules) so it's probably unlikely that memory-drain is the problem. Thanks for the advice. Take care.

Collapse -
OK, what does it use for video? If it's built in, you should
by Kiddpeat / January 24, 2005 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Specs

probably consider upgrading anyway. A machine that powerful probably should have a fast video card just on general principles.

Collapse -
The website he bought
by Oil_Tan / January 24, 2005 6:04 AM PST

from says its onboard and not meant for games and video.

Collapse -
It is the video card.
by Fremen / January 28, 2005 5:33 AM PST

... or the lack of one. I checked out the specs on your new computer and saw that instead of having a dedicated video card it has what they call integrated graphics. Which means that there is a graphics processor mounted on the motherboard of the computer and therefore the video processing will take up system memory and CPU cycles.

The good news... your computer comes with 1 PCIe slot which is a PCI express slot which is the newest way of connecting a video card. You can very easily get a PCI express video card at an online merchant for under $100 bucks. Once installed, (read HP manual in case you have to TURN OFF integrated video) your video should be screamin' in comparison.

Fre.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.