HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

JellyBean "keyfinder" will not open?

by klonestar / January 29, 2006 4:59 PM PST

I was following a thread here "I Need My Lost CD Key To Reinstall Windows 98" and being in a similar situation I downloaded Keyfinder. When I try to open this program nothing happens (sometimes a very brief flash on screen).

Is this due to one of my security settings or?

Running Win2000 SP4,AVG av,Zone Alarm pro,AdAware SE,SpyBot,Spyware Blaster,Spyware Guard and using pop up stopper from ISP.<--(which doesnt stop the add from Circuit City in this forum btw?)And my ADSL moden has a built in firewall (modem is a Westell 2200)

Im "assuming" something im using is stopping this program from opening.

I need to do a clean reinstall (after saving everything) and lost my key code.

Thanks,
Ken

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: JellyBean "keyfinder" will not open?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: JellyBean "keyfinder" will not open?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd be careful using keyfinder
by glb613 / January 29, 2006 7:19 PM PST

I downloaded keyfinder because it was recommended here and it had a virus. I use Belarc and haven't had any problems.

Collapse -
Gail, Maybe Not A True Virus
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2006 11:43 PM PST

Yes, many antivirus programs detect it as a "potentially unwanted program", but that's because it does what it does..It detects key numbers within the registry..

On the other hand, if the file is detected as some other type of virus, that's a different story.

I normally download the Magical Jellybean from the link below:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Would that be Belarc Advisor?
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 4:14 AM PST

Are you talking about Belarc Advisor? Will that give me the key number? I already have that program.

Thanks,
Ken

Collapse -
Yes, Belarc Shows The Key Number
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 5:09 AM PST

At least it does on this XP computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK gonna try that, Thanks!
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 5:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Let's see...
by Willy / January 29, 2006 9:48 PM PST

Magical JellyBean is very simple and small pgm. and should run w/o any hassles. Since, you place it behind any firewalls and *want* to run it should take off. However, do take care *WHERE* you obtain any keyfinder
pgm. as a possible malware attachment could be there. Go directly to the pgmers. source or support website for the pgm. and d/l it again. Delete your current keyfinder for now and try gain with no d/l'ed one. I use MJB often enough and haven't it fail at all, but do recheck your system regardless. If you have prior OS problems or egistry errors, try running from safemode. -OR- reduce bkgrd. running pgms. to increase system resources if you have a burdened system. If I remember right, be off of any network system so don't be ADSL active, etc. as it maybe trying to find "network" keys and the like.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Willy will try this to!
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Let's see...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did that ,didnt work.
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Let's see...
Collapse -
Ken, Do You Have An Unzipper Program
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2006 11:51 PM PST

Just a guess here....Did the file download with a .zip file extension??? If you download the Magical Jellybean keyfinder from the link below, it comes in a .zip file package. (Most sites download it as a .zip file) As such, you'll need to have an unzipper program to unzip the .zip file and allow you to use the .exe file inside.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

If you don't already have an unzipper program on that computer, the link below will provide the free Cam Unzip program which after installing will open the .zip file. (After reading about the program at the link below, click on the "Download" link toward the top of the page and follow the prompts to download the installer file to your desktop. Once it's there, double click on the file to install the program. Once the program is installed, each .zip file will look like a folder with a big "Z" in it.)

Cam Unzip
http://www.camunzip.com/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Using ZipGenius....
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 4:10 AM PST

I will uninstall keyfinder and use the link provided. ZipGenius doesnt seem to actually open the zip file so will download the other program (zip) and try that one. I did scan the file before opening and had no virus or malware.

I will use all info given! Thanks everyone.

Ken

Collapse -
No "uninstall" file for keyfinder?
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 4:28 AM PST

Keyfinder is not shown in add/remove programs can I just Delete it?

Thanks,
Ken

Collapse -
Just FYI....
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 4:30 AM PST

The link you provided is the one I originally used to download JBKeyfinder.

Thanks,
Ken

Collapse -
Ken, So Is It Working Now?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Just FYI....

Is the keyfinder finding the product key in question? It should...Once you're done with the Jellybean keyfinder, you can simply delete it..In my case, I save it in my backup files...in case I need it at some time in the future.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still no luck!
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 5:10 AM PST

Grif, Willy did as you both suggested, closed all open programs, turned off ADSL, even closed AVG and Zone Alarm, re-downloaded JBKeyfinder and installed Zip program Grif recommended. Nothing!

Another thought? I do have most of my security settings set to high. Might this be the problem? How about active x, java script, etc..?

Thanks again,
Ken

Collapse -
Ken, What Do You Mean By 'Nothing'?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Still no luck!

Can you unzip the file so you're looking at the .exe file? Can you double click on the .exe file? Is it a problem with the "unzipper" or a problem with the .exe file itself?..

I just tested it here on two Windows 2000 SP4 machines and one XP SP2 PRO machine and it works fine.

If the .exe file itself won't run, the please download and install the newest Windows Script engine from the link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

And just for kicks, access the Internet Options icon in the Control Panel, then click on the "Security" tab, then "Internet" icon (world globe), then use the "Reset" button to go back to "Medium".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 5:45 AM PST

I will do the above anyway HOWEVER....TADA....Belarc found it!!!! Thanks

Just to verify: This is the "Key" number located in (Key:XXXX-XXXX-....) under MS Win2000pro just after the product license number? Correct?

The keyfinder did show the exe. file but would not open it. No erroe mesgs. nothing. I will install the latest windows script engine as well.

Will try the rest later "just for kicks" heading off to work now.

Thanks a Bunch everyone,
Ken

Collapse -
Ken, That's It...It Should Have 25 numbers/letters
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Grif

Like this: Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Just for the record....
by klonestar / January 30, 2006 9:41 AM PST

I have done everything everyone recommended and keyfinder still will not open. It is now an exe. file in Camzip and neither extract nor view will open it. Right click and open does not work either.

Anyway I have the keynumber now through Belarc!

Many thanks again,
Ken

Collapse -
Ken, When Using Cam Unzip...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:58 AM PST

I think you're doing it wrong. After double clicking on the .zip file, you'll see Cam Unzip open and it shows the internal .exe file. Clicking on the "Extract" button will cause the file to be extracted and placed in a separate folder of it's own in the same directory as the .zip file. After extracting the file, close all windows from Cam Unzip. If the extracted folder doesn't show up, press the F5 key and it should appear. Remember, it extracts to the same directory as the .zip file. If the .zip is on your desktop, the extracted folder will be on your desktop. If the .zip file is in another folder, the extracted folder will be placed in that folder.

Now open the extracted folder and double click on the .exe file. You can't run the .exe file until AFTER it's been extracted.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.