Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

JAWDROPPING PICTURE TOSHIBA 72MX195

by stewart norrie / January 25, 2006 8:36 AM PST

Just checked this beauty out today at cambridge Soundworks It was next to a Sony 70" Well the price was $4900 compaired the The Sony $13000. and this Toshiba looked twice as good, Also the salesman adjusted both sets to get the best picture, and this Toshiba 73" has the best picture I have ever seen . Does anyone own this t.v. or have you seen it any feedback would be gratrful good luck to you all and have a nice day please help I want to get the best picture It has to be at least 70" and my budjet is $5000, I may be stupid but you really get that movie theater experience watching a 70" screen

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Abes of Maine
by Docwu / January 25, 2006 8:58 AM PST

Abe's of Maine has it for $4248 with shipping ($3899 + $349)...

Collapse -
Don't have the TV, but love Toshiba
by Dan Filice / January 25, 2006 9:15 AM PST

I've been a fan of Toshiba ever since I bought their RPTV. Forget about the picture, I just love what they have done with their stretch modes (best ever!) and the way the remote works to access the various Inputs (ability to directly access ANY Input rather than painfully cycle through them), and the almost infinite adjustments to adjust color, contrast, hue, etc., which all comes in handy when using either the Video Essentials or AVIA setup DVD disc. Stewart, make sure you get one of these set-up discs if you get this set. Your eyeballs alone cannot adjust the picture controls the way these discs allow you to. And a side-note, I know you've been looking at front projection systems too, but do you have the ability to run cables through your ceiling to get to the projector? I guess this might be a good reason to buy the flat-screen.

Dan

Collapse -
i agree. i love their remotes...especially the older ones..
by masterying01 / January 25, 2006 2:23 PM PST

with the switch on the side for dvd/vcr/cablebox/etc.

toshiba has great whites and pretty good blacks and since the tv is 1080p, you will get very little pixelation. the thing with toshiba's is that their powersupplies has a tendency to break in our displays in our store while other tv's connected to it never have problems. its a great tv and a great buy.

it sounds like you'd be a lot happier with a projector though...especially with the speakers you got and the big size that you're looking for. whatever happened to looking at the sony front projectors?

Collapse -
Beautiful television. Most people don't have the room.....
by Riverledge / January 25, 2006 2:38 PM PST

FOR this Cinema model, therefore it may be difficult to find many owner reviews. I've seen two EXCELLENT write-ups by consumers. Also seen discounts into the $3500 range (Abe's of Maine for one.) Good shopping, Stewart.

river.

Collapse -
Stewart, The Toshiba 72HM195 Is The Same TV, Cheaper Price
by RoadRunner6 / January 25, 2006 6:05 PM PST

Stewart,

I did an online check and found that the Toshiba 72HM195 is almost the exact same unit as the 72MX195. It only lacks a PC connection and a "Virtual Dolby Digital Surround Sound" which of course you don't need. You can do a detailed comparison at www.tacp.toshiba.com for the PDF sheet.

I know you don't shop online but the 72HM195 is offered by eight 4.5 and 5 star dealers between $3768 and $3895 (source-www.pricegrabber.com) delivered to San Jose. Other tops dealers are slightly higher.

I point this all out because you might want to search your area for a delear who has the 72HM195 in stock. There is a $300 difference is MSLP and you might be able to get a much better price than $4900.

Hope this helps and you really enjoy the unit you do end up with. These Toshiba's look like nice sets.

Chuck

Collapse -
72HM195 -
by arthurmnev / February 16, 2006 8:59 AM PST

I have called Toshiba to verify that this in fact is the only difference - they confirmed that audio and analog RGB connector are the only differences. The video components are exactly the same...

I have purchased the TV waiting for it to get here. My price paid is 3,466.00 in NJ (got taxed/free delivery)

It was quite funny how the sales rep who called me back to confirm the order insisted the screens between the two are different. "And only for additional 499 in extended warrantee we will upgrade your set to MX...". BTW, if you buy on American Express they will double manufacturer warrantee (which from, what I understood, covers everything) Happy

Collapse -
72mx195,72HM195
by buddyluv / February 16, 2006 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: 72HM195 -

Again, I mean no disrespect but why is there no test on these Toshiba TV's that have a picture better than the 70 inch Qualia 006 Sony TV.I need someone from Cnet to intercede please clear this UP!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Toshiba 72HM195
by apapa / January 30, 2006 3:11 AM PST

I purchased the Toshiba 72HM195 version of that tv, which apart from the Dolby Surround is exactly the same as the 72MX195. It is amazing! The picture is clear and crisp, and the back levels will absolutely stun you. I bought mine online via Savinglots.com for only $4199, this included the matching stand! I can't wait for the Toshiba HD DVD player which comes out in March to complete my system.

Collapse -
Stewart Never Did Thank Me.....
by RoadRunner6 / February 16, 2006 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Toshiba 72HM195

.....for the online research I did on these Toshiba model differences and price info so he could save some big bucks. He probably saved enough to buy a new snack bar.

See if I ever spend any time responding to his threads again! Sure would be nice if those who start threads would go back occasionally and check to see if they get any responses and thank those who try to help them out; just common courtesy.

RR6

Collapse -
ROADRUNNER THANK YOU AND MORE ON THE SONY
by stewart norrie / February 17, 2006 4:28 AM PST

Yes the picture quality of a Sony 60" 3 panel l.c.d set seems to look better, but I was after THE MOVIE EXPERIENCE and a 60" just looked to small for my room The Toshiba gives the effect of a front project system so I can have my cake and eat it to. Next week Iam going to have it calibrated I.S.O $350 for one h.d.m.i. input I run my d.v.d. player and dish 811 box using d,v,i, output and a Gifin d.v.i. switcher and a d.v.i. to h.d.m.i. adapter so I only have one input calibrated . Always a pleasure chatting with you I consider you one of the few in this chat room that really know there stuff have a nice day stewart

Collapse -
Best Picture Toshiba???????
by buddyluv / February 17, 2006 5:35 AM PST

A Stew I thought it was the 70 in Qualia you saw now
you say it's 60inches.What TV did you see and Why say
the Toshiba 72mx195,72hm195 is the best if it's not. Why make flippant statements about TV's that not true.I take my video and audio equipment purchasing very serious.Some people rely on the opinions of people in this forum to make decisions.
By the way the dimensions of the Sony KDS60XBR is 66 x 39 X20,Toshiba 72HM195 66 X 44 X 21,70 Qualia
75 X 47 X 24 a Stew which TV is bigger???????.If SIZE is your thing Mitsubishi makes 82 in floor model.
Stew let's be Serious `okay.........

Collapse -
I agree
by kena10 / March 21, 2006 5:32 PM PST

Too late to reply but I think Stewart wasn't looking at the Qualia. I have the 60" XBR1 and it will put the smack down on the toshiba. I've seen the Qualia and if I had the money I would buy it, if not for the prestige but also because they're hand made.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!