Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Jave runtime envoroment 5.0. and use problems.

by standeb / July 30, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

Hello All,

I run Windows XP Pro. SP3. System information is :-

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME-B9E38DFE7D
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1808 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.50, 05/02/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Trinidad and Tobago
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HOME-B9E38DFE7D\Smarty Computer
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.16 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.92 GB
Page File Space 3.60 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I recently had a clean upgrade of motherboard and processor done as well as a clean install.

My problems are that two usbs at the front of the tower have stopped working. The flash drive which I use there has gone kaput. I have downloaded Java Runtime Enviroment on several occasions but when I visit a java based website I get the following message. "Windows cannot find the required program". I have made sure to download the same properly but it just won't work. I took off my pop-up blocker to download runtime enviroment.

I do require your assistance to find a solution to these problems.

With thanks.

standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jave runtime envoroment 5.0. and use problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jave runtime envoroment 5.0. and use problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
usb and java problems
by special_ed1 / July 30, 2009 4:14 PM PDT

1. USB issue. You may need to update the drivers for the USB controllers - find them in the device manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager) and right click on them. If any of the USB ports appear with an exclamation point next to them in the device manager it's indicative of an error, usually a driver issue.
2. Java problem. Once you've downloaded Java, I presume you have gone ahead and installed it as well? Which browser (IE, Firefox etc) are you using when you get this error. Also have you made sure you are downloading the correct version of Java for your OS?

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Hope this helps

Collapse -
usb and java problems
by standeb / August 1, 2009 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: usb and java problems

Hello special_ed1 -

Thank you for your reply/suggestions.

First I tried to download and instal java. I am quite certain that I downloaded the correct version. Problem is that the Icon situate in the control panel is the one left over ftom the former virsion I had before the clean install. That Icon will not move. I have tried everything I can to have it removed. Its just stuck there. If it can be removed the problem will be solved.

Do you have any suggestions?

With respect to the second item, the usbs. I would like to fix the java problem before tackleing thhis one.

Thanking you for your kind consideration.

standeb.

Collapse -
usb and java problems
by standeb / August 1, 2009 7:12 AM PDT

Hello all,

I am to report that the Java Icon has been removed. However the problem is not over. Everytime I download the free java version for windows and try to install the same a message comes up:- "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstal it." I reply "yes". The message comes up again and I reply "yes", I then try to verify if the program has installed properly only to be advised that it has not.

Searches of my computer has revealed there is nothing about java on my computer except the installer on the desk top. I delete it and try again but nothing happens.

This is now driving me up a wall. I've been at it for 6 days. Can't get solution at Java site. Can anyone including Grif advise. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

standeb.

Collapse -
Standeb, Have You Tried Using the Windows Installer Cleanup?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 1, 2009 8:43 AM PDT

Below is a link to the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.. AFter uninstalling all versions of Java from Add-Remove Programs, then try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. If any remnants of Java are there, select them and remove them.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Standeb, Have You Tried Using the Windows Installer Cleanup
by standeb / August 2, 2009 12:57 AM PDT

Hello Grif,

I sure did, but it did not work. Don't know what happened but when I gave up and went out my wife did something and left a note for me before she went to work "I got Java. Check the control panel". It works.

I will post to let you know what she did.

Meanwhile, many thanks to you and the guys for your kind consideration.

standeb.

Collapse -
"Jave runtime envoroment 5.0. and usb problems."
by standeb / August 20, 2009 9:16 AM PDT

Hello Grif,

I am informed by my wife that she had to search for every iota of Java in the system and delete the same. She used Revo Uninstaller which revealed all entries in the registry. She also had to go to system 32 folder and delete the files therein. That did the trick as after she downloaded java again. it installed properly.

A new mother board combo with video card ASRock N61P-S NVIDA GeForce 6150 430 chipset and processor was installed. However I can't say what is wrong but the usb ports at the front of my new tower as well as when it was in the old tower will not work. Our tech has not yet found the problem but it has been 2 weeks and I need to use the ports. There are two ports and another for my earphones. ironically the bluetooth usb adapter works on those usb ports. I just cannot understand it. Moreover my flash drives both went on the bum just like that. Lost everything therein.

Any suggestions in this premise will be greatly appreciated.

Your kind attention hereto will oblige.

thanking you.

standeb.

Collapse -
Not Uncommon...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 2:12 PM PDT

As long as the USB ports work correctly on the back of the computer, then it's not uncommon from the front USB ports to function poorly.. It's a wiring thing and in such cases, we usually solve the problem by using a power 4 or 5 port USB hub connected to one of the rear ports.. Such hubs are available with 12" to 24" cabling so you can plug the USB into the rear port, then lay the hub on top of the computer tower.. You can then plug in any devices from the front of the computer.

It is strange the bluetooth device works but nothing else, still, there are other options such as the one I mentioned above.. It's also possible you need to get an updated set of drivers for the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Jave runtime envoroment 5.0. and usb problems.
by standeb / August 22, 2009 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Uncommon...

Hello Grif,

Thank you for your narrative. It was indeed very instructive to me. However just before I got your thread my techie visited and rectified the situation, but in remembering what he did and explained to me it was indeed just as you said. The usbs work now however the flash drives are still kaput. The're dead. I was lucky to have backups on drive "E", so a nice 250 gb external drive would be in order.

Thank you Grif. You have further extended my education by sharing with me and Cnet members the greatest gift of all eg., knowledge.

standeb.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.