HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Javascript Shortcut:(void)

by jonsmom / January 22, 2005 8:05 AM PST

Why is it that when I click on certain links I will get this error message about a Javascript Shortcut: (void). I have googled 'javascript shortcut' and 'javascript error' several times and seem to only come up with information for programmers. Is there a way to fix this?
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Javascript Shortcut:(void)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Javascript Shortcut:(void)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Edit error message
by jonsmom / January 22, 2005 8:36 AM PST

I see I made a slight mistake - the error message reads Shortcut to Javascript:void(null)
I don't think that makes much of a difference, but I thought I should correct it.

Collapse -
Could be a problem with the version of Java...
by Edward ODaniel / January 23, 2005 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Edit error message

you have installed or simply that you do not have java installed or yet again because the person who coded the page made an error.

Knowing the exact page that gives you the error wold be helpful.

This page for instance uses the coding on two links as an example of what it does.
http://sislands.com/coin70/week4/detectevents.htm

Toward the bottom of the page is a small text box centered on the page with two links under it.

If you place your mouse cursor on the left lind the textbox gets focus and a text cursor appears in it.

If you place your mouse cursor over the right link the text within the textbox gets selected and highlighted.

If you do not see that happen you have a problem with your java VM.

Collapse -
This link will also check and give your
by roddy32 / January 23, 2005 2:09 AM PST
Collapse -
jonsmom is talking about javascript not java...
by trytohelp / January 23, 2005 2:29 AM PST

I don't have any java (sun or microsoft) on my system but I can still open javascript links. These are two different issues.

Collapse -
You also shouldn't get the error message...
by Edward ODaniel / January 23, 2005 2:47 AM PST

if java is not installed and depending on the specific coding you may not be able to open the link.

It is indeed an issue with the java VM or coding. That is why information was provided and why a link to the specific page with links that cause the problem was requested.

Collapse -
This link will also check and give your current version
by jonsmom / February 2, 2005 1:13 AM PST

I went to that page and after some info text at the top of the page all I was able to see was a large grey square.

Collapse -
Could be a problem with the version of Jave
by jonsmom / February 2, 2005 12:46 AM PST

OK, I went to that page and link and it did exactly as you said. I held my cursor over the left link and got a text cursor (nothing out of focus) and over the right side it highlighted the text in the box. What next??
Thank you

Collapse -
OK, that means that javascript is working for you
by Edward ODaniel / February 2, 2005 10:22 AM PST

and the error is the programmers (would definitely help to see the URL that causes you this message) now since you indicated that all you saw was a "gray box" on the other link provided to the www.java.com site try this site and tell us EXACTLY what you see on your browser
http://www.schubart.net/rc/

If you do NOT see a Rubics Cube applet at top center of page you most likely have Java disabled.

Collapse -
OK
by jonsmom / February 2, 2005 1:59 PM PST

I saw a rubiks cube. It showed all sides in one color each, as if it were solved.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / January 22, 2005 10:43 PM PST

1. The article [Q293513] states that IE6 does not include MVM for Java which can be installed on demand. Please also read "Relnotes.htm File".

2. "Differences Between Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP1a (Q813926)."

3. Different versions of the MVM for Java are offered at the (perhaps slow) "Sun Microsystems Java" site as well as a convenient Installation Check (option on the left). Be advised however this check may not be ready for primetime since it reports my system does not have it installed even though the procedural check noted in #2 above verifies that it is.

a. "A Description of the Changes to the Security Settings of the Web Content Zones in Internet Explorer 6 (Q300443)."

b. "Disabling Unsigned Applets Appears to Disable Signed Applets (Q305830)."

Note: When using MVM version 5.00.3802 and IE6, the disabling of unsigned applets also appears to disable signed applets.

c. "HOW TO: Set Java Security in IE (Q315674)."

Collapse -
jonsmom is asking about javascript not java
by trytohelp / January 22, 2005 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

Can you supply a link to which page has these javascript shortcuts that do not work?

Collapse -
Shortcuts that don't work
by jonsmom / February 2, 2005 1:21 AM PST

I will see if I can locate some these pages.

Collapse -
Javascript Shortcut:(void)
by jonsmom / March 5, 2005 2:35 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by jonsmom / February 2, 2005 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Yikes! I'm lost. I really don't understand this javascript stuff. All I know is that it has something to do with programming. right?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.