Computer Help forum

General discussion

Java question

I have Java Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.2.3_03; Default Vitual Machine 1.4.2_03-b02; Java (TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_03. My OS is Windows XP. I have tried several times to upgrade to 5.0 Update 6 through Java.com and have been unable to download it automatically or manually. I am a novice about this. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a bit slow if you don't have broadband.

In reply to: Java question

but I was able to install java ok.

Collapse -
Thanks for info

In reply to: It's a bit slow if you don't have broadband.

Thanks for the info Art. Shirley

Collapse -
Shirley, Try This...

In reply to: Java question

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the ''Download JRE 5.0 Update 6'' download link that is in the ''JRE 5.0 Update 6 includes the JVM technology'' section. Download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(it's about 15 MB so a dial-up machine will take 30 minutes or so to download), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once it's on your desktop, then open the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section and UNINSTALL all previous versions of Sun's Java Runtime Environment. When that's done, double click on the new Java installer file on your desktop to install Java 1.5.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

AFter that, since you didn't tell us which version of Windows you're using, please download and install the updated Script engine from the appropriate link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

At the link above, you'll need to validate your version of XP which isn't a problem as long as its legal.

After everything is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Internet Options'' icon, then click on the ''Advanced'' tab. When that loads, scroll down to the ''Java(Sun)'' section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: ''Use Java,....''. Click on Apply. Then scroll to the ''Multimedia'' section and place a CHECK mark in the ''Play Sounds In Web Pages'', ''Play videos in Web Pages'', & ''Show pictures'' box and UNCHECK the box next to ''Show download Placeholders:'', then click on Apply, then Ok. Next, under the "Security" tab, make sure the "Internet" properties are set to "Medium"

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Been away

In reply to: Shirley, Try This...

Hi Grif, thanks. Sorry slow response back. Been away for few days. Will check your suggestion and let you know. Thanks again. Shirley

Collapse -
Need additional help

In reply to: Shirley, Try This...

I am unable to download this. Have tried several times. Turned off my firewall, thought this may be the reason for the download not working. Tried to download manually, same thing happened...nothing. Any suggestions on what may be causing the block from downloading? Shirley

Collapse -
Shirley, You're Having Problems Download Lots Of Things..

In reply to: Need additional help

It sounds like you've got spyware problems..I suggest using a friend or family member's "clean" computer and download the items I suggested above plus ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below. Once they're downloaded on the other computer, burn them to a CD and transfer them your computer and install them from the CD. Once they're installed (install the Java and Script engine first, then all the spyware programs), then try to update them from within the program..

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Will Do Grif

In reply to: Shirley, You're Having Problems Download Lots Of Things..

Will have to find another person's computer to use and do as you suggested. Going to check through the Windows Search and see if there is anything in there that comes up with anything to do wityh Zango or 180 solutions. Thanks again for your continued help. Will let you know after I get all this done. Shirley

Collapse -
Didn't find in Search & Getting Help from Neighbor

In reply to: Will Do Grif

Searched Windows files and Folders, no Zango or 180 Solutions. Talked to my neighbor about downloading "fixes" on their computer and burning CDs for me. They said they have a zip that they can download the cures on and then download it in my computer today. Keeping my fingers crossed this works. Computer is getting slower and slower. Also, my best friend is having same problems but worse, hers is freezing up all the time. We both have Windows XP. She asked if the email I sent her could have caused this problem. Told her that all my email is scanned before sending and I didn't think that could cause her problem. Any comments on this part? Thanks again, Shirley

Collapse -
If Thje E-mail Was Infected, Of Course Problems Could Occur

In reply to: Didn't find in Search & Getting Help from Neighbor

If there was a virus in the e-mail it certainly could cause a problem..All of your problems appear to be spyware or virus related but whether it's one specific e-mail, who knows..It's important to scan all e-mail a be cautious of it's contents.

Other than that, start with one step at a time..Try using the installations from the neighbor's CD and see where it goes. Make sure to run virus scans both online and with your current onboard antivirus program. At this point, be sure to back up any important documents, etc. If things can't be fixed, you may need to do a complete reformat and reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Forgot to properly thank you Grif

In reply to: If Thje E-mail Was Infected, Of Course Problems Could Occur

I just found this thread again. I want to thank you properly for all the help you give us here in CNet. You rock!! I installed Spybot, Ad-Aware and Ewido. My computer has been running great. Again thank you!! No need to reply. Shirley.....Only one thing I still have problem with is I belong to 8 MSN groups and can not reply in any of them. Sent to MSN Support for help, but they are no help, give me this reply....
"Although we do not have a definite time frame as to when this will be resolved, we are engaging additional resources in investigating this problem. As soon as we have evaluated the situation, we will notify you as soon as possible." that was last time on Feb 7. Been trying to get them to fix since Oct. 2005.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.