Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Java Problems

by Debra Dee / August 15, 2004 12:49 PM PDT

I've recently been infected with major program destroying ADWARE and Trojans. I think I may have inadvertanly deleted a needed registry file or perhaps a shared file when trying to uninstall the useless Norton Internet Security program. However it happened, whenever I try to view a site with JAVA in it, my computer shuts down the program I'm running (either AOL or Internet Explorer) and leaves me with no icons or buttons on my desktop, it's blank. Any ideas? Suggestions? I cannot find anything to help me. Please....computer experts, help me!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Java Problems
by Kees Bakker / August 15, 2004 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Java Problems

Try (re)installing the latest Sun java (1.4.2.05). Go to: http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp and see the Free download for Java software for the desktop in the upper right corner.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Java Problems
by Debra Dee / August 15, 2004 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Java Problems

I've tried to re-install JAVA. It gets to the install screen, downloaded, then when I tried to setup, it shut down like it does. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Collapse -
These problems will continue as long as...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 10:19 PM PDT

The users habits have to be examined. There are a few causes for such trojans to get on the machines. The worst being such things as KAZAA. This is much like CRACK COCAINE for your PC. Until the user learns the lesson, the repeated problems will happen.

Other reasons include running with no or outdated antivirus or my favorite... use of Internet Explorer (IE). IE should be set aside for sites that require it and no where else. The only way for people to learn this lesson seems to be for them to experience the problems.

I think its important to find out why the trojans are getting on the machine. Can you reveal what the user is doing to let them in?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: These problems will continue as long as...
by Debra Dee / August 15, 2004 11:01 PM PDT

I did not have an anti-virus program installed as it was bogging up my speed. Thus, I clicked on a link that led to the virus/trojan. I pretty much have the trojan cleaned up from all the scans I'm doing, however, it was only after I installed Norton then attempted to uninstall it (to no avail) that I began getting all the problems with the Java. I do not use Kaaza or any such file swapping program, so it's not what the "user is doing" but rather the one mis-click I did do. Bottom like, I need to know if it sounds like a missing dll or registry key edit problem (as I manually went in to delete some of the keys there).

Collapse -
Since you have NO ANTIVIRUS...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

Then it's unlikely that you can win the battle. Here's why. There are thousands of malware writers out there.

And there is "you".

You lose.

How much clearer can I put this?

Free AVG from grisoft.com is free and has a light load on the machine. If you don't run an Antivirus, then don't complain about all the problems. Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: These problems will continue as long as...
by Kees Bakker / August 16, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

I run AVG on my 200 Mhz, 48 Mb Windows 95 machine, without noticable performance problems. The only thing being SLOW is Mozilla Firefox (that's a real CPU hogger), but I'm convinced that is a Mozilla issue, only to be solved by a faster machine (as proven on my other one). Working with 0.8 is tolerable, the typing of text-boxes in 0.9 so slow that I went back to 0.8.

Personally I installed the Sun JVM without uninstalling Microsofts, but it wouldn't harm to try Bob's suggestion in the Computer Help forum for the MS uninstaller. You're very short on what happens if you try to install Sun JVM now, so I don't think you'll get effective help for that.

If a virus (or the remnants of it) are a cause of your problems, your only hopes (apart from a reformat) are:
1. Boot into MS-DOS and do a scanreg /restore to a few days ago. You'll have to redo part of your cleaning (this time without disabling Java!).
2. A clean by an online virus scan, like housecall.antivirus.com or panda's, or possibly AVG. No need to run the real-time detection to do a scan of the hard disk, of course. The success might be small.
3. Installing and using Mozilla (Firefox) in stead of IE for pages with Java. But if the system is so damaged that you can't install Sun Java now, it's dubious if you can install Mozilla (and, frankly speaking, dubious if it's sensible to continue with the machine in its current state).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Java Problem!
by Cursorcowboy / August 16, 2004 10:21 PM PDT
However it happened, whenever I try to view a site with JAVA in it, my computer shuts down the program I'm running (either AOL or Internet Explorer) and leaves me with no icons or buttons on my desktop, it's blank. Any ideas?

1. Why do you think or how do you know the problem is contributed to/by Java? The reason I asks is whether there is any error messages that may explain your statement, "shuts down the program I'm running (either AOL or Internet Explorer)"?

2. We know there are several versions of IE which may be used in Win9x, but we are unaware of which you use and we do not know whether it's a branded version or not -- IOW, how was it installed and using what media. We also know that AOL - the most I know about it is how to spell it, is an entity all its own and since you pay for their services, ask them about the problem.

3. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

4. Your history lesson is good to know but I wonder just what actions have been taken other than your used removals procedures that may have been attempted -- other then the Java download try -- to perhaps correct the supposed browser problem?

PART I

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

1. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

2. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. 'Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

Note: Should you perhaps receive a warning similarly labeled "DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit . ., please access the S&D site and read the information at this link.

d. "CWShredder" - 1 or "CWShredder" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal", "Malware Removal", and the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum moderator's message concerning "HiJackThis log postings."

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal."

3. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result if you require further input.

PART II

1. The article "Troubleshooting Browsing Error Messages in Microsoft Internet Explorer" describes the steps you can use to troubleshoot the following error messages:

a. The Page Cannot Be Displayed.

b. Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site Web address. A connection with the server could not be established.

c. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

d. Cannot find server or DNS Error.

e. An internal error occurred in Windows Internet extensions.

2. "The page cannot be displayed" is a link to articles published by MS.

3. This Symantic article explains what happens when NIS or NPF has been configured to block scripts, ActiveX controls, Java applets, referral information, or advertisements, and gives help instructions.

4. This Symantic article explains that you cannot see a specific Web page or some parts of a Web page when Ad Blocking is enabled, and gives help instructions.

PART III

Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

"Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

"How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

PART IV

1. The article [Q154036] describes the step-by-step procedure for troubleshooting problems with Active Content in IE such as ActiveX scripts, ActiveX controls, and Java programs when you are unable to load a particular Web page.

2. When you attempt to view a Web page by clicking an Internet shortcut on the Favorites menu, double-clicking an Internet shortcut which may not load (do nothing) or may open a blank separate page, this can occur if the "Internet Shortcut file association" is incorrect, [Q175306]:

3. Reinstall Internet Explorer itself not Windows, [Q318378] or [Q194177].

4. The article [Q177054] explains that when you double-click an Internet shortcut in a Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail message, your Web browser may not start or may not connect to the Web page. The issues are explained in this article as well as the troubleshooting procedures.

5. This behavior may occur if the (Default) value setting for registry keys are pointing to an invalid location for the Urlmon.dll file, [Q281679].

6. The article [Q300443] and suggested reading states that when an attempt is made to execute a link from an e-mail message that contains the <tmeta http-equiv="refresh"...> HTML tag, the redirection does not occur. This article discusses the reasons as well as procedures for troubleshooting the problem.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "A New Internet Explorer Window Does Not Always Open When You Click Hyperlinks (Q272415)."

b. "OLEXP: How to Configure Outlook Express to Open Links in E-mail Messages in a New Browser Window (Q256953)."

c. "Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default (Q306098)."
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?