Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Java plug-in problem.

by Basil Hall / March 12, 2004 12:16 PM PST

This is not strictly a security prob. but it is to do with programs that can be a prob. and I am not getting a reply in the WIN 95/98 forum.

I am running win98se

When trying to enter a discussion room on a humor research site I got the following message:

Java plug-in 1.4.2_03 not installed properly.

I clicked on OK, and get the next message:

Applets in this HTML page requires a version of Java different to the one the browser is using. In order to run the applets a new browser session is required.
Press yes to start a new browser session.

I still can't enter the discussion room and after I have clicked NO to starting a new session a small grey box tells me:

Java plug-in detected JRE collission (bad spelling not mine)

This now also happens when I go to a frequently used, "Places to start surfing the web", but if I click NO to start a new browser session the: Java plug-in detected JRE collission, still shows but makes no difference, that I have detected, in me using the search engines on that site.

I have looked in search for files etc and found a number of entries starting with C\:Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03 so I presume I have the right plug-in installed.

Any ideas please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java plug-in problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java plug-in problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Java plug-in problem.
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 12, 2004 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Java plug-in problem.

Hi Basil,

is a PITA to post a reply - tried already several times - fingers crossed - it will work NOW Happy

click here

Collapse -
[NT] Thanks M. Just got home from a party, let you know if it is fixed tomorrow.
by Basil Hall / March 12, 2004 5:00 PM PST

Collapse -
(NT) Basil, tell about the party... that would be interesting ;)
Wink
Collapse -
(NT) GlennL is the same person as Glenn Lawson ?? Just curious : )

Collapse -
Re:(NT) GlennL is the same person as Glenn Lawson ?? Just curious : )

Sharp eye you have! Yes, I was experimenting with a new name and did not realize it would change my previous posts name. Anyway I will probably change back. It was not my intention to disguise myself. Wink Could not if I wanted as my writing is recognizable with the southern drawl. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Re:(NT) Basil, tell about the party... that would be interesting ;)

Not really Glenn it was a party for a 60 year old and he is younger than myself. I am too old for parties of the type you envisage - or so my wife tells me.

Too old for parties.

I miss the noisy, smoke-filled rooms,
pregnant with semi-intent,
and not knowing where I will awake.

Basil

Collapse -
No good
by Basil Hall / March 13, 2004 10:13 AM PST

Hi marianna, I followed the instructions to the letter but when I tried to install the download, half way through, a box appeared saying something about the installer making a mistake. (sorry I didn't record it as I thought It would appear when I tried to install again)

However on the second attempt, instead of having the two options: Install and uninstall, the first had changed to "modify". I carried on and was told that the installation wizard had done its work and I should restart my computer. This I did, but nothing changed, the initial problem still remains.

I suspect that I have a faulty installer.?? Can anyone suggest further action.

Thanks

Collapse -
Basil, maybe it's best to uninstall
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 13, 2004 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: No good

the version you have ? If you also have jv16 powertools run it - so, there is nothing left. Then download a new copy and install it.

Download this one:

Download J2SE v 1.4.2_04 JRE
32-bit/64-bit for Windows/Linux/Solaris

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Collapse -
Re:Basil, maybe it's best to uninstall
by Basil Hall / March 13, 2004 1:40 PM PST

Marianna, I don't have jv16 powertools ? How do I get It?

Collapse -
(NT) Basil - look in your inbox !
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 13, 2004 1:59 PM PST

Collapse -
Re:Basil, I just found a link ......
by Basil Hall / March 13, 2004 5:05 PM PST

That worked. I now have a fully functional Java plug-in.

Thanks Marianna.

Collapse -
(NT) Basil - You're Welcome :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 13, 2004 11:51 PM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?