Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

java installation error

when i try to install java 6up7 I get this msg
error 1101: Error reading from file:
http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/sp-1.6.0_07/ sp1033.mst. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it. I have been all over the internet, and tried everything I could understand to do. First of all I dont have a file sp1033.mst. If I found one I dont know how to make accessible. The only thing I havent done is uninstalled all earlier javas, because I dont want to be without a java on my computer. I have java 6up4, i can install version 6up5 no problem, anything higher I get that error. According to java this is an ongoing problem. I tried their unregister and re-registering of msie.exe, that didnt work. I even went into cmd mode and tried re-registering a bunch of wu dll's. that didnt work either. Could please help me. I am runniing Windows XP sp 3-32 bit. I have been told to update my windows installer to 4.1 or? 5, but that is only for 64 bit. I did download and install ther version for 32 bit. Didnt work. could somebody please help me. If someone has a 32bit machine and got the java update to work please let me know how.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: java installation error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: java installation error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This might be the latest installer.

In reply to: java installation error

Collapse -
Windows XP: java installation error

In reply to: This might be the latest installer.

What do u mean .MST looks incorrect. The error says exactly this: error 1101: Error reading from file:
http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/sp-1.6.0_07/ sp1033.mst. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it. Do u mean install all version updates and then try installing it.

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Windows XP: java installation error

I mean uninstall ALL Java items you find in add/remove programs of the control panel and then go get the latest Java.

And your first reply didn't share if you installed Microsoft's latest installer. I can't guess what you did about that.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: No.

Yes I did install the latest version of windows installer. Just to today for some reason I was able to install 6v6. Were as before I was getting that error with it also. After installing 6v6 I tried to install 6v7, again that error. I dont know what was different. How could 6v6 have finally found sp1033.mst and suddenly 6v7 cant, is beyond me. I thoroughly dislike the idea fo having to uninstall all previous versions of Java, especially since I just got 6v6 to install. Why would previous versions keep an update for working?

Collapse -
It's Windows.

I can't guess why this happens without heavy forensics, diving into the event viewer and more. But I have cured this too many times with a wipe out of all things JAVA and then installing their latest. Some don't want to take that path.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: It's Windows.

Well I got 6v7 installed successfully. All I did was download it to my computer. Then when I clicked install, it wanted to connect to the internet, I closed the connection. I let it install w/out connecting, and it installed with no problems or errors. I still dont know what this sp1033.mst file is because I still dont have it on or in my system. But thank you for all your input and help. But something worked.

Collapse -
WinXP Java Headache

I just had to say thanks to klk21 for coming back and making that last post. I've been trying for a MONTH to get java installed. Read dozens of posts all over the net, mostly the same, I've tried it all, over and over and over. I found this post because she typed in the error exactly as it appearred (with the MST - not MSI). Installing java WITHOUT BEING CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.... one thing I hadn't tried!!! And it went so smooth I thought something was wrong. She probably won't be back to read this, but I want others to know how helpful it is to come back when you DO find a solution!

Collapse -
Now you have the latest Java......

In reply to: WinXP Java Headache

Collapse -

In reply to: Now you have the latest Java......

I didnt have to uninstall any previous java installations, and thank u Linda for letting me know it worked for u too

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.