Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Java Help

by ultralight / April 25, 2008 11:05 AM PDT

When I went to control panel today, I noticed there are two things for Java. Could you tell me if I need both, and if not what to remove and doing it through add/remove is all I have to do?

1.) J25E Runtime Environment 5.0 update6

2.) Java 2 Runtime Environment. SE V1.4.2.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use the Add/Remove. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 25, 2008 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Java Help

to uninstall the SE V1.4.2.

Now do a little search for Java 6 and install it.

Collapse -
Uninstall ALL Previous Versions Of Java..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Java Help

...from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, then if you're using Windows 2000 or XP, follow the instructions in below to install the newest Java 6 Update 6:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then scroll down and click on the ''Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6'' download button. Follow the prompts, accept the license agreement, choose your operating system and "multi-language", then download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u6 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
A quick question
by littlebit1000 / April 28, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

why do you recommend installing the offline version? Just wondering what the difference is. Thanks
Liz

Collapse -
I Prefer The Offline Version Because...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2008 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: A quick question

1. After downloading the offline installer to my desktop, I can then close all programs, INCLUDING my browser, then uninstall, then reinstall using the downloaded installer.

2. For those with a slow internet connection, I can save the downloaded installer to a CD or flash drive and run it on those particular computers without waiting hours for the download to occur.

3. I've NEVER had problems installing Java with the offline installer while I have had issues when an internet download "hiccuped".

4. I support 50 or 60 computers now and after saving the Java installer to a CD or flash drive, I can quickly install the newest Java on all those computers without accessing the internet.

5. IF there is a problem with the newest Java installation, because I save all the previous full installers, I can easily uninstall the newest, then reinstall the old.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by littlebit1000 / April 28, 2008 10:43 AM PDT

and yes..as always it does help Happy
Liz

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?