Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Java/ Applets

by SumerBrez / June 3, 2004 12:06 AM PDT

Good morning..
Using Windows XP..IE 6
Getting message..your browser doesnt support JAVA.
I checked and my Java is ENABLED.I dont know what i need to enable in ActiveX?? or does this have anything to do with it not working?
I cant seem to open any java/lake applets with XP..(Im new at using XP).Had no problem with java/applets when using 98SE.
I see something at a site download from Sun,but seem i remember reading here was a problem with that,so thought i would ask about it first... MS Virtual machine dont i need that also??Cant seem to find that anywhere..Have Macromedia flash etc,installed.Please advise how to fix this.Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Java/ Applets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Java/ Applets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Java/ Applets
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Java/ Applets

My advice is this. Move out of the line of fire between malware writers and Microsoft. Use ANY other browser than Internet Explorer.

Both Mozilla and Firebird with Sun's JVM run many Java apps adn I have Flash as well.

Without the security problems.

In closing, I know of no "fix" for Internet Explorer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Java/ Applets
by SumerBrez / June 3, 2004 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Java/ Applets

If i install Mozilla,how do i switch between the 2 browsers(remember you saying that IE is needed for certain things) and will the VM be auto included in the download?Is Mozilla the better one in your opinion?Trying not to make a bunch of mistakes again,so im asking more questions now..Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Java/ Applets
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Java/ Applets

I installed Mozilla and Sun's JVM (or is it JRE?) In either case, I do no "switching." I use Mozilla on this box, Firebird on another so I can get the hang of both. And I find it very easy to use.

Those who use IE exclusively may experience all the fun that comes with it since the fun just doesn't seem to be ending. I put it as succiently as I could. It's not you that has the issue. It's the malware writers taking shots at Microsoft.

Why be there?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Java/ Applets
by SumerBrez / June 4, 2004 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Java/ Applets

Thank you Bob..So Sun Java will work ok with XP?Are they the same..MS and Sun Machine?Need to have java now because i play cards on MS Gaming Zone and they have updated the site again and need the Java for some games to work properly and actually to load the site.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / June 4, 2004 7:34 AM PDT

and... lol at all the *fun* with IE.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / June 5, 2004 9:38 PM PDT

Good morning..Have installed Sun Java Machine,but its not working properly..Picture part of applets are ok,its the bottom,the moving part..I have unistalled ( the first time didnt work at all) and reistalled,now have this problem.Should i try and install MSVM instead? Using XP IE6

Collapse -
The author of theapp.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 10:18 PM PDT

If Mozilla or Firebird with the SUN JVM isn't working, then you contact the author of the application. They need the feedback.

As to IE woes, they will continue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The author of theapp.
by SumerBrez / June 11, 2004 5:40 PM PDT
In reply to: The author of theapp.

Hi Bob..I reinstalled Sun Java Machine..All is working now with no problems..As always,Thank you for help.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 3, 2004 12:27 AM PDT

1. The article [Q293513] states that IE6 does not include Web folders, FTP folders, MSM, MVM for Java, or NetMeeting 3. Existing versions of these programs and features are preserved on upgrade or may be installed by your OS. MVM for Java can be installed on demand if required to display Web pages. In addition, please read the Other paragraph in the "Release Notes" for WinXP Contained in the "Relnotes.htm File".

2. Please be advised of the MSKB article, "[Differences Between Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP1a (Q813926}]."

3. Several different versions of the MVM are offered at this "site" or the Sun Microsystems Java, as well as a convenient link to check if a system has MVM installed and its version.

a. "A Description of the Changes to the Security Settings of the Web Content Zones in Internet Explorer 6 (Q300443)."
b. "Disabling Unsigned Applets Appears to Disable Signed Applets (Q305830)."
Note: When using MVM version 5.00.3802 and IE6, the disabling of unsigned applets also appears to disable signed applets.
c. "HOW TO: Set Java Security in IE (Q315674)."

Collapse -
Re:Re:Java/ Applets
by SumerBrez / June 3, 2004 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Java/ Applets

Im confused..In my computer/properties/under system is servicepk1..got nothing@start/run/cmd/ok then typed jview and enter... IE/aboutIE SP1 q837009,q832894,0831167
PC:AMDAthlon XP2200+
180GHz 480MB ram
IE6..OE6..
guessing i dont have the virtual machine?is that a correct assumption? thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Java/ Applets
by Mary Kay / June 3, 2004 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Java/ Applets
Collapse -
by SumerBrez / June 3, 2004 3:27 AM PDT

Hi..Where did you download from..MS Machine(3) OR from SUN?there are 2 places to choose from..This is a new pc and has never had VM installed before.Guessing i need to do the 3..First one is the MSVM and the other 2 are the updates??Thats the way it appears to me but not sure..Could i possibly download the one below those that says SUN and not need to do updates?Sorry,but im just not sure which one to download from..is MSVM and SUNMachine the same thing? Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Java/ Applets..nt MS machine
by Mary Kay / June 3, 2004 8:02 AM PDT

Collapse -
by kevorkyan / June 3, 2004 8:10 PM PDT

Hello..

look.. I've been working in java for the last few months so: if you download, from Sun the < http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html > JAVA 1.4.2 SDK this kit already brings the JVM and a also a Development kit for java Programers.. and its free...
its almost bullet proof to work... but check it out..
it works on all browsers that a know... i don?t use the IE too much.. I?m more in FireFox..

in hope that this might help...

Collapse -
by eagle434 / June 4, 2004 3:35 PM PDT

When this happened to me I had to delete the java program. Then I used ACE utilities to do a clean wipe on all free space. When I reinstalled java it was up and running again.

Collapse -
Re: Java/ Applets/UPDATE
by SumerBrez / June 11, 2004 5:46 PM PDT

Problem has be Resolved..Java Machine installed and working properly..My Thanks to All of you..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!