Computer Help forum

General discussion

Jasmine France, CNET editor for MP3 and digital audio Live!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 6, 2008 7:01 PM PDT

Ask the Editors Live! event. Topic: Headphones

Joining us for the next upcoming Ask the Editors Live chat event with CNET senior associate editor Jasmine France, who will be here to answer all your questions about headphones and MP3 player accessories. So if you need some buying advice for what cool to add on to your MP3 player, be sure to join us on Thursday, August 14, at 11 a.m. Pacific Time (2 p.m. Eastern) and hit up Jasmine with all your questions. I'm sure she won't skip a beat about giving you an answer! Don't miss out!

Click here for upcoming Ask the Editors Live events and past transcripts of events.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jasmine France, CNET editor for MP3 and digital audio Live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jasmine France, CNET editor for MP3 and digital audio Live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Bring it on!
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
ipod touch sound quality
by rudster11 / August 14, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

Hi Jasmine,

Is iPod Touch sound quality really that bad? I am thinking of getting one but can't decide whether to get iPod Touch or Samsung P2

Thx
Rudy

Collapse -
No, not at all
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Actually, the iPod Touch's sound quality is quite good. Donald Bell compared it head-to-head with the iPhone and the Touch was noticeably better. The P2 sounds phenomenal, though - that's a tough call!

Collapse -
Great all purpose wireless phones?
by CliffnMichelle / August 14, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

Can you suggest something of an all purpose wireless solution, something for all Home Theater, Gaming, computer and portable applications, keeping in mind that I can not stand ear buds, and I don't want a massive set of cans either?

Collapse -
How about portable?
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K 701?
by Lantern42 / August 14, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Between the two, which one would you recommend?

I've listened to both, and I'm leaning toward the AKG. But from what I've read, the HD 650's seem to be the standard.

Collapse -
Without having used either...
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:17 AM PDT

...I would go with the AKG because I dig the style. Plus, the user reviews are phenomenal, and I believe user reviews can be a great indicator for headphones.

Collapse -
Zen X-Fi
by redeem4god / August 14, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

I could have missed this but in regards to The new Zens Wi-Fi support are we looking at a restricted connection for select applications, or is there an actual browser?

Will it suffer from Archo's ailment of charging the consumer extra to download the brower or come pre-installed like Apple?

Collapse -
No browser at this time
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Zen X-Fi

The Zen X-Fi's WiFi capability is fairly limited at this time. You can chat or access a music/content server that you've set up, and that's about it. However, there are plans for future apps, and a browser may be one.

Collapse -
Second comment yeah!
by G-hero47 / August 14, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

What is the best headphones ever, regardless of price?

Collapse -
Oh man...
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Second comment yeah!
Collapse -
Headphones in the shower
by Ryan415 / August 14, 2008 4:06 AM PDT

Hi Jasmine

My question is - Can you reccomend headphones to use while showering?

Collapse -
Waterproof headphones
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bang & Olufsen
by awesomelife / August 14, 2008 4:06 AM PDT

What's your review about the ear phones from Bang & Olufsen?

Collapse -
Awesome
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Bang & Olufsen

I haven't reviewed any B&O headphones as a standalone product, but they included a pair with one of their MP3 players that I reviewed way back and they were fantastic. Excellent sound quality.

Collapse -
Best iPhone headphones?
by Fetch1389 / August 14, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

What are the best Best iPhone headphones?

Considering

-Price

-Quality

-Features (handsfree)

-Compatibility (I have the 1st gen iPhone so not all headset jacks fit into it)

Collapse -
How about a specific set for gaming?
by CliffnMichelle / August 14, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

For PC gaming with 3D audio, do you suggest dedicated phones that produce their own multichannel/3D audio, or do you suggest a sound card that produces the effect over stereo headphones?

Collapse -
Gaming headphones
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

I don't get my hands on many gaming headphones, since they are handled by our home entertainment editors, but I would start at the sound card. Then, if you can, test out a variety of full-size cans and see which ones you like the best--personal taste has a lot to do with it.

Collapse -
Any tips for determining ear buds fit?
by pdxstoney / August 14, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

One thing I hate about ear buds is you really can't test fit them before you buy them. I'll take a comfortable pair over a good sounding pair any day of the week. Depsite the fact I have a fat head, my ear canal is relatively small. Is there anything I can look for when picking out a ear buds?

Collapse -
Foam eartips
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

I totally feel your pain. It's always good to purchase from some place with a good return policy. Another thing I always look for are foam eartips included in the package. These tend to conform nicely to small ear shapes and seal up well.

Collapse -
What is a good headphone for the price?
by smilepak / August 14, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

I've gone through the low end Shure, B&O, Bose Plugs, and several others.

I am still in look for that good headphone that able to maintain deep bass and being crisp at the same time w/o having to spend above 200.00 bucks for.

What do you recommend?

Collapse -
How about $150?
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
How about $150?
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Inexpensive in-ear head phones.
by Allaniceman / August 14, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Hi Jasmine,

In a recent podcast you mentioned that the standard ipod headphones were not all that great and people were missing out. Can you suggest an inexpensive(less than $100) in-ear alternative.

Thanks,
Allan

Collapse -
I can suggest several!
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
New Headphones?
by crod60 / August 14, 2008 4:17 AM PDT

I have been using ETY 4s earbud for abt 5 years. They have been excellent. Has the technolgy changes sufficiently that I should think of an upgrade? If so, what would be a good in ear set with noise cancelling. I log abt 150K miles in a plane and use an iphone 3g for movies and music. Is a headphone amp worth the $?

Collapse -
No need for an upgrade now
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: New Headphones?

You might find this of some interest: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6490_7-10014325-49.html

I think that if those are still working great for you, there's no reason to replace them. Chances are, they may start to fizzle soon, and then you can start shopping. For the in-ear variety, are you set on active noise-canceling, or will passive noise-isolation do?

Collapse -
good quality wireless headphones
by redeem4god / August 14, 2008 4:18 AM PDT

I saw a movie (definately, maybe) where the lead actor placed some small ear bud headphones in his ears while walking the streets of New York. The cook thing was that these ear buds had no wires.

Do we chalk it up to mere hollywood affects or is there such a thing as wireless earbud headphones. I do know that wireless bluetooth exists with an ala Sony style headband type but the earbud kind rocks.

Collapse -
Etymotic Ety8 and others
by Jasmineflower / August 14, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?