Computer Help forum

General discussion

Jasmine France, CNET editor for MP3 and digital audio Live!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 5, 2007 12:09 AM PDT

Ask the Editors Live! Headphones live chat event with CNET senior associate editor Jasmine France starts Thursday July 12th at 11 a.m. to noon PT / 2 p.m to 3 p.m ET. Where Jasmine, will be answering your questions about headphones and other MP3 player accessories.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Jasmine France, CNET editor for MP3 and digital audio Live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Jasmine France, CNET editor for MP3 and digital audio Live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm listening!

I'm here to answer your questions about headphones and other MP3 player accessories. Fire away!

Collapse -
Noise Cancelling Earphones
by brianurb / July 12, 2007 4:06 AM PDT

I've been looking at several in-ear noise cancelling earbuds, Shure E210, Vibe by vmoda etc. Any guidance of what to choose if you are looking for a good pair of in-ear.

The buds with the Nano are good but the lows and bass are lacking.

Brian

Collapse -
Shure & V-moda are both good
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

If you are looking for good bass response along with passive noise isolation, try:
Shure SE310: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-headsets/shure-se310-sound-isolating/4505-6468_7-32327762.html?tag=prod.txt.1
V-moda Bass Freq: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-headsets/v-moda-bass-freq/4505-6468_7-32098284.html?tag=prod.txt.1
V-moda Vibe: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-headsets/v-moda-vibe-flashback/4505-6468_7-32165976.html?tag=prod.txt.5

Those are all great choices and cover a range of price options.

Collapse -
headphones

how do the panasonic HTX7's compare to the grado sr-60's and DT770 pros?

Collapse -
Durability
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: headphones

I haven't used a lot of non-portable headphones, but my colleague Donald Bell tells me the Grado's you mention aren't very durable, so I would go with one of the others. I'll try to provide some more info as I come across it.

Collapse -
Suggestions for Mid range headphones but not in ear or over the head
by Arnav / July 12, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

Hi Jasmine,
Could you suggest some mid range (<100$) headphones for casual Mp3 player listening which are not in ear or over the head maybe something which loop over the ear only.
Thanks!

Collapse -
Video iPod Silicone Cases
by skram369 / July 12, 2007 4:11 AM PDT

What is the best silicone Case for the Video iPod 30gb? Ive looked at the iSKin evo3 which seemed to be good. Is silicone the best choice? I want sumthing that I can take walking/running with and I want it to protect the screen.

Collapse -
How about an armband with neoprene
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Headphones that don't leak out music
by sbaxter / July 12, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

Hi,

I like to listen to my music loud, but the problem I have is that everyone around me is also listening to my music.

Can you recommend some decent in ear headphones that I can crank up and not disturb people around me at the same time.

Thanks!
SB

Collapse -
Top earbuds
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Technical problems

Hey everyone, I'm seeing the questions but am having some technical problems with submitting replies. Please bear with me while we get this issue solved.

Collapse -
mp3 function of the PSP
by falapedro / July 12, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

I have been thinking in buys the psp to use not only as a video game but also as a mp3 but is the mp3 function really good? does replace a original mp3 player?

Collapse -
Not sure about MP3...
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Noise Cancelling Earphones
by brianurb / July 12, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions, are you recommending E310 if you don't mind paying a little extra?

Collapse -
Definitely
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

Those are definitely the pricier option, but they also offer the best audio response overall.

Still, all of the ones I suggested sound good.

Collapse -
ipod nano v creative zen v plus
by kwelGadets / July 12, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

Jasmine,

does the zen v plus show up on the itunes application. I'm planning to update my ipod mini what would recommend?

thank you

Collapse -
I don't think so
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

I'm pretty sure the Zen V Plus will not work in iTunes, and I'm not sure of any plug-ins that accomplish this.

As for suggestions, do you use a Mac or a PC? And do you have a lot of iTunes purchased music?

Collapse -
KRZR

I have a k1 Motorola KRZR. I am able to transfer songs from i tunes to my phone by copying and pasting into the removable e drive. The problem occurs when I tunes transfers music to my phone. The name of the song appears on my phone by the artist and genre and album are all unknown. There is no way to edit this on my phone or computer, to my knowledge. I have contacted both apple and Motorola about this problem. They do not understand how to fix it. I realized that my phone works perfectly with music I got from a friend because i tunes has not encoded it. Windows media player has a software that automatically syncs with my phone and puts the songs I obtained from my friends on my phone with all the id tags: artist album ect. But i can't get my i tunes songs on windows media player. It doesn't recognize the format itunes has encoded it with. What should i do to get songs on my phone displaying the artist and album?
Post 1 of 1 | Back to top

Collapse -
Tough one...
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: KRZR
Collapse -
Bluetooth Headphones
by joe_leo46 / July 12, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

I had some bluetooth-enabled, wireless headphones that worked with my iPod but I was disappointed in the quality. I want to purchase another pair. Can you recommend any?

Collapse -
Jawbone
by royadm / July 12, 2007 4:18 AM PDT

cNET reviewd the jawbone headset with gsm phones(at&t, t-mobile, etc.) But what about cmda phones like verizon? I want to buy one, but I want to make sure it works well.

Collapse -
Sony Earphone MDR-EX90LP
by kwelGadets / July 12, 2007 4:19 AM PDT

what are your opinions on the sony MDR-EX90LP earphones?

Collapse -
Nice
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

I actually reviewed those myself. Here's the gist:

The good: The Sony MDR-EX90LP provides excellent clarity and detail and decent bass response; the understated black-and-silver design meshes well with most gadgets.

The bad: The silicone ear fittings included with the Sony MDR-EX90LP don't always create a seal with the ear; no cable extender for at-home listening.

The bottom line: The Sony MDR-EX90LP earbuds sound as good as their $100 price tag suggests, but there's nothing particularly exciting about them. They're just good headphones with an understated design.

More: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-headsets/sony-mdr-ex90lp/4505-6468_7-31894746.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Collapse -
Bose headphones
by dunway / July 12, 2007 4:19 AM PDT

are they really worth the price? I want to get the best active noise canceling headphones under $350.

Collapse -
Yes
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Bose headphones

The Bose QuietComfort 'phones are very comfortable and they sound great. If you're OK with investing a couple to a few hundred in some nice full-size headphones, they fit the bill.

Collapse -
headphones

Hi, Jasmine.

I have been looking for circum-aural headphones that I can use with my ipod. I don't need anything with noise cancellation, but I found that most headphones I like are studio headphones with cords that are too long for convenient use with my ipod. I was wondering if you had any recommendations for something that would be under $100 that would fit my needs; I'm looking for something like the Grado sr60s in terms of sound quality, but they don't look comfortable enough. Thanks!

Collapse -
Tough one
by Jasmineflower / July 12, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: headphones
Collapse -
Sennheiser HD650 Upgrade

Okay I have a pair of Senns on the way, and I was wondering if they should be fine right out of the box, or if I should look an upgrade cable.

I use Grado SR125's with my A/V receiver to listen to Vinyl, that's what I got the new Senns for, and I've read so many reports of the 650s being "so laid back." I have a pair of Sennheiser 515s, but I hate the bass that I get out of them.

I will listening from everything from Belle & Sebastian to the White Stripes, and everything in between.

Thanks,
chocolatesabbath

Collapse -
video quality
by tallnproud / July 12, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Is there a noticeable difference between the video quality of the Clix (gen 1) vs. the Clix (gen 2)?

How does the video quality of the zen v plus compare to the Clix?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?