The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

James Kim a true hero....

by woody56292 / December 7, 2006 12:14 PM PST

I read alot of posts about how heroic James was, but then I would read alot of posts saying he was just lost and confused. After reading this article, it appears he was just as resourceful and heroic as we all assumed. He just made the unfortunate error of going back where he came from, rather than pressing on into the unknown.
This is for all those who said he was stupid to leave the car etc.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/07/MNGH6MR3191.DTL
STRANDED FATHER'S HEROIC LAST HOURS / He crawled, climbed through 5-mile canyon seeking help for family

Highlights from the article:
1. He traveled about 10 miles through thick, wild, uneven terrain that even rescue workers had trouble with.
2. He left bits of clothing and his map as a trail. ( either to find his way back, or to allow possible rescuers to find him )
3. He followed the creek ( a commonly used survival skill, but unfortunately also attributed to his hypothermia )
4.He was attempting to find help for his family. He probably assumed the search was either unsuccessful or had stopped, and was determined to set out on foot and find help himself.
5. Conditions on the "trail" ( it had never been hiked ) were treacherous. He had to go through ice, snow, and climb down through rocks, logs, etc. It was not an easy walk.
6. Keep in mind he was probably starving by now, and it is unknown whether he ever made a fire.
7. He was also wet, as the only way to cross sometimes involved wading through the river.
8. He climbed down a ravine and was attempting to climb back up it when he became exhausted or hypothermic.

Clearly he did all he could and gave 110% to continue going despite overwhelming circumstances and odds.
I can only hope that he knew his family was rescued.

I don't know about you, but knowing how much James went through to save his family makes me feel somewhat better.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: James Kim a true hero....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: James Kim a true hero....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cell phone
by kellenjb / December 7, 2006 12:31 PM PST

Unfortunately I don't think he knew his family had been rescued. In this I am sure he thought his attempts were worthless. However, I think he did save his family. I am not positive about this because I have not studied the details but... before they found his family they had said there had been no contact with their cell phones. Then the saw a signal from a phone which narrowed their search to the radius of that cell tower. Like I said I am not sure if this is the case because I don't know the details... Could it be that because James left his family he was able to get in the range of a tower? If this is the case I can see no reason as to say that he didn't save his family

Collapse -
But the tower was further away
by woody56292 / December 7, 2006 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Cell phone
Collapse -
details on how the cell phone 'ping' helped...
by shawnlin / December 7, 2006 12:39 PM PST
Collapse -
Sorry, wrong link....
by woody56292 / December 7, 2006 12:44 PM PST

saw google maps and thought it was the right link. didn't bother to check it first.
here is the link that shows his path. very different then the reported
"wander in a circle for 8 miles" You can clearly see he was on a path, just unfortunate it was a horseshoe path downhill.
here is the real link.
http://www.layoutscene.com/james-kim-path

God bless James, he tried his best.

Collapse -
mountains
by kellenjb / December 7, 2006 3:25 PM PST

I guess there really is no way to know with out knowing who's cellphone they got the signal from. However, even if he was further away from the tower it still could have dealt with the mountains and getting it through. I doubt cell phone batteries would last that long if they were left on the whole time. I could easily seem the couple having turned off their phones earlier in the week and then when James was out turning on his phone to see if he could get anything.

Nothing to argue about though.

Collapse -
(NT) Well said
by merrybrown / December 7, 2006 12:33 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) He may have been short on food, but HE NEVER RAN OUT OF LOVE
by shawnlin / December 8, 2006 12:28 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?