Mac OS forum

General discussion

iWeb help !!

by tapasdesai / September 27, 2010 6:34 AM PDT

1. How do I get rid of the standard menu on the top of every iWeb theme ?

2. Where is my iWeb site saved on the hard drive ? I want to copy the file and check it out on a windows computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iWeb help !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iWeb help !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iWeb questions
by centurion48 / September 27, 2010 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: iWeb help !!

With iWeb active, go to the view menu and select Show Inspector. On the Page Inspector select Page tab. There are options to Display Navigation Menu that you uncheck to make those links disappear.

As far as I can tell, the iWeb file is located at:
/Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/iWeb (where accountname is your account name)

It appears to be a package so I am not sure how you would view it on a Windows PC. Right-click (or Ctl-click) to see the contents of the package.

regards,
centurion48

Collapse -
So I can't see my work on a PC ?
by tapasdesai / September 27, 2010 2:26 PM PDT

I want to see how it looks on internet explorer. You know, compatibility issues. Plus this is for my college, and all college computers are windows.

Is there any way atall that I can transfer the file to a windows pc and view the file/archive on internet explorer/firefox/any browser (by giving the file address) before I publish it ??

Collapse -
View iWeb page on PC
by centurion48 / September 27, 2010 3:31 PM PDT

You cannot see how it will look in any browser until it is 'published' somewhere. Publish the page and then view it with Firefox, Chrome, IE and Safari. You can email yourself the link to your college email address and look at it there before publicizing the URL.
You might be able to use the Publish to a Folder menu item and then copy those files to a memory stick or email them to your PC but it seems to me to be a more difficult process for no advantage.

Collapse -
Confusing information.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 27, 2010 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: View iWeb page on PC

The site you created in iWeb is saved to wherever you told it to go when you Published it after you had put it all together.
Clicking on the name of the site, in the left hand pane of iWeb, will bring up the Publish page. Use the drop down menu to choose Publish to Folder, and click OK. Now hit the Publish button at the bottom of the screen.
This is where you give the site a name and choose where it is saved. By default, it is saved in the Sites folder in your Home Folder

It is NOT in the Applications Support section of the Library.

To view your newly created website on a PC, you will have to copy the entire site folder onto a PC, open the folder and look for the index.html file. That is the home page of your site.
A thumbdrive (flash drive) is probably the best method of moving the site folder from the Mac to the PC.

From what you were asking, it sounds as though you have not published the site yet. It is the publishing action that creates the necessary pages for the site.

Is that what you were looking for?

P

Collapse -
re: Confusing information
by centurion48 / September 28, 2010 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Confusing information.

@mrmacfixit: I am not having a go at you, because I usually like what you write, but the website that I created in iWeb is not saved or stored in the Sites folder. The Sites folder is miniscule compared with my website and contains only an Apple page about Apache and three graphics. Perhaps Publish to Folder stuff goes there: I have no idea because I have not used that menu item.
As far as I have looked, my website is located at the path I previously mentioned and I (definitely) did not choose to save it there. That is where the Save command puts it. YMMV.
The OP has been given enough information and I don't really understand his reluctance to Publish.

regards,
centurion48

Collapse -
I appreciate your candor and have no problem with
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 11:27 AM PDT

being proved incorrect.
However, in this case I think we both may be kinda correct. It depends on what exactly the OP meant by "Saved"

I have just created, saved and published to a folder, a very small web site.

The finished (Published) site is in the Sites folder while the Application support location contains a very small file called Domain.

Moving on from there, I created another site, saved it noticed the file in Application Support changed its icon and its creation time. File size is 9.3MB
Actual size of both sites in the Sites folder is 3.9MB (Not a typo)

The file in Application Support cannot be used to view the site with a browser, and certainly not by a Windows machine, and I do believe that the OP was really asking where his actual WebSite was located.
As we know, this does not get created until they decide to Publish the site.

So how about a point each? 1 for you as, technically, the site in proprietary form is saved in the Library and 1 for me as the site, in its correct viewable form (Published), is stored by default in the Sites folder or anywhere you tell it to go.
Happy

P

Collapse -
wow thanks a lot
by tapasdesai / September 30, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

i appreciate your help but i havn't finished my site yet, but i guess i cud find and transfer the site file to see how it works out

i'll be sure to post a reply if i need more help Happy

Collapse -
you can publish to a folder at any time
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 30, 2010 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: wow thanks a lot

whether the site is completed or not.

After you make changes to your site, just republish.

P

Collapse -
website I made is "narrow"
by tapasdesai / October 1, 2010 4:42 PM PDT

most websites i see online occupy the full screen but mine leaves 2 strips of empty white space on either sides of the screen

how can i make the site to occupy the full page ?

Collapse -
One way is to make the page bigger, but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2010 11:32 PM PDT

you cannot please all of the people, all of the time.
Do you build for someone with a 19" 4:3 screen or someone with a 24"/27" 16:9 wide screen.
Build for the 19 and the only way it fits on a 27 is to stretch it.

iWeb allows you to change the size of your page, using the Page Inspector:
This from the Help File:
"You can change the height and width of a page by changing the dimensions of its content area (the main region of a page). When your website visitors make their browser windows bigger, the size of the content area stays the same and more of the browser background shows around the page."

You may find that without the addition of additional HTML code, the page is what it is.

I think the best way to create a site that dynamically fits a screen size is to create the page in a Table. Not something you can do in iWeb, I don't think

P

Collapse -
i saw my website on a 15 inch monitor
by tapasdesai / October 2, 2010 5:40 PM PDT

i didnt change or make any page settings when i started. i built the site on the blank white template.

i went to the page inspector and it allows me to define the content width, which is 700 pixels.

i believe every screen projects any image in the same proportion, only the overall size changes. so if i keep an aspect ratio of 4:3, how much wide should by screen width be

Collapse -
how wide should my contect be to cover the entire width
by tapasdesai / October 2, 2010 5:44 PM PDT

of a 4:3 screen ?

Collapse -
Aspect ratio is 4:3
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 2, 2010 11:07 PM PDT

4 (insert measurement here) tall by 3 (insert measurement here) wide.

This means that a 19" monitor with an aspect ratio of 4:3 will have a screen size of 15.1863" X 11.4183"
Remember that screen sizes are measured diagonally.

1094 X 823 pixels should fill the 19" screen.

P

Collapse -
wow, thanks a lot
by tapasdesai / October 4, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

why couldnt i think of that lol

will come back here for more questions

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?