Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ive had virus and now my computer turns on and off randomly

hi...
as i explained i had virus and trojans on my computer and now its turning on and off by itself. when it does this it isnt connected to the internet.

my computer: its about 2 years old and its a laptop
brand: fujitsu siemens
Screen: 15.4" 1200x800
operating system: windows xp
processor: 1.9 Ghz AMD Turion
Ram: 512mb ATI Radeon xpress
Harddrive: 100 Gb
the external mouse i have is a logitech G5 with a cord.
i have symantec antivirus

problem 1:
my computer turns on and off.
it only turns it self off when im not looking and i havent logged on to my windows account, but the turning on thing happens a few minutes after i switched it off.
to solve this ive been taking the battery out and removing the power supply, but this isnt a solution for me.

problem 2:
windows security.
i cant get the "automatic updates" turned on, and the few times ive managed it, a couple of hours passed and it turned off again.
dont know what to do about this either.

if anyone know or have any ideas on what to do id would really like to hear from you.

thanks Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ive had virus and now my computer turns on and off randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ive had virus and now my computer turns on and off randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder if this is virus damage.

In reply to: ive had virus and now my computer turns on and off randomly

If you're convinced of it and nothing helps, go back to factory settings using the restore CD.

- Turning off: might be an energy saving setting. Check them in Control panel.
- Turning on: might be a "boot upon LAN" option or so in the BIOS. Check it and turn it off.
- No automatic updates: this seems something you can live with by checking manually each second tuesday of the month. Although I can't explain it.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: I wonder if this is virus damage.

first of all thanks for the reply. but with the turning on what do you mean by that?? didnt understand it :S

Collapse -
Re: wake on lan

In reply to: reply

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

There are other wake's also, like wake on a specified time.

Have a look in your BIOS-setup if any of those are activated. It's the only possibility I know of that will turn your machine on if it's off.

Kees

Collapse -
ummm

In reply to: Re: wake on lan

where do i find the BIOS-setup??

Collapse -
Press Delete or Escape key in your keyboard

In reply to: ummm

when the computer is turned on (before Windows will load).

Some computers is configured to use F1, F2 etc key to enter the BIOS setup. Please be careful when you are at the BIOS. Do not modify anything if you are unsure what to modify.

Collapse -
thx

In reply to: Press Delete or Escape key in your keyboard

thank you

Collapse -
Scheduled Tasks>Updates>"Wake Computer...

In reply to: ive had virus and now my computer turns on and off randomly

to perform this task" Box check-marked? Most Updatable programs have this available. That means that you need to check if box ticked by going thru each task scheduled in list one by one.

Some of the "free" versions of AV & AS have started making "auto" update mandatory (not easily disabled within program) often calling for update check every 2 hours OR LESS (Windows update a particular offender)!
When you get several of the autos functioning w/ different time frames for each, the result may well seem "random".

I've disabled ALL of mine to manual since "I never allow my mechanical horse to roam the range without ME holding the reins!".Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
last night

In reply to: Scheduled Tasks>Updates>"Wake Computer...

last night i think i solved the problem..
i use the program where it moves things to get more space on your computer(cant remember what its called in english), and now my computer hasnt started by it self for almost 12 hours..

should i consider the problem solved??

Collapse -
You use the defrag utility in Windows?

In reply to: last night

If yes, that's good. Defragging the drive is needed. Do that twice a month or once a week (if you often move, delete and update files).

If no more issue then defrag must have do it for you. Good work!

Collapse -
okay

In reply to: You use the defrag utility in Windows?

now the problem is fixed, so i dont need help anymore. and thank to all who relyed Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.