Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ivan looks like a real rotter

by SteveGargini / September 15, 2004 4:26 AM PDT

Sorry, but no links, but would like to say that we should pray on S.E that the storm, Ivan, doesn't turn out to be so bad as is feared at the moment.
It is carrying winds of 140 mph and could create a real mess wherever it hits.
Alabama, Florida and Louisiana, look like possible targets.
God Bless anybody on here who lives in those areas and I hope you all keep safe.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ivan looks like a real rotter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ivan looks like a real rotter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thought I posted a question about it earlier,
by Roger NC / September 15, 2004 4:52 AM PDT

But don't see it. Oh well, I may have closed the window or something before hitting post.

What I can't figure out is why Accuweather.com has a substantially different path forecast than NOAA or Weather.com .

Hmmm interesting, they've change the one at Accuweather since noon. Now it doesn't even make a prediction past 7 pm Thursday. Before it showed by Saturday evening the eye or what was left of it being up in Kentucky, and staying west of the mountains.

NOAA has for some time showed it reaching area of Gatlinburg Tennessee Saturday morning, and showed it still there Monday morning .

While I wish a storm on no one, from a purely selfish point of view the further west and faster it moves north of me the better.

Now if what is left of Ivan sits in one place for 48 hours in mountainous terrain and rains, there may be as much flooding there as at the coast. However, of course the wind will be so much less dangerous. But still, 48 hours of tropical storm rain in that region will mean lots of floods, landslides, and roads washed out. Possibly even houses washed down the mountain side, maybe even communities.

Hopefully everyone on the coastal impact area has evacuated or is at least on the road now. All seem to agree in a very early Thursday morning (3 am is one time mentioned I think) landfall. And rigth now it still has maintained winds of 135 and hurricane force winds up to 105 miles from the center, at least that was the report. And there may be tropical storm force winds up to 290 miles away according to NOAA.

Gonna be another bad one, may it do no more than the last two. Bad as they were, the potential was for a lot worse. Hopefully this one will also be fortunately less disasterous than it could be.

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Watching Ivan. Time Sensitive Satellite Link.
by James Denison / September 15, 2004 5:02 AM PDT

Looks like it will destroy New Orleans, or come close to doing so. Just spoke to Mom's brother in Panama City, and things there are still OK at the moment, just some breeze and a slightly elevated tide.
Collapse -
NOLA will survive...
by J. Vega / September 15, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

I dare say that NOLA will survive, even though a lot of things get torn up. It survived Betsy. The French Quarter has been there for a long time, and has survived a lot of storms. The size and power of those pumping stations has to be seen to be believed.
All of my relatives have already "gotten out of Dodge".

Collapse -
Re: NOLA will survive...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 15, 2004 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: NOLA will survive...

Hi, J.

Well, it'll survive this time, as luckily it's not a direct hit. At 10 ft below sea level, a direct hit by a 4 or 5 would be unbelievably catastrophic.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
True, Dave...
by J. Vega / September 15, 2004 2:46 PM PDT

True, Dave, Betsy made a real mess. I got a message that most of my relatives have moved to safety, far away. I hope that the ones from who we haven't yet heard have done the same. There will be a lot of damage, and needless to say I hope that it is not that severe. Last I heard, it was supposed to hit east of the city not west, at least that's something (thinking about the storm surge). We shall see. What a time to be limited to just one TV channel for news and no cable. Thank heavens for the net.

Collapse -
Re: True, Dave -- Speaking of NOLA...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 15, 2004 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: True, Dave...
Collapse -
Do you think, Dave...
by J. Vega / September 16, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

Dave considering the fact that the taxpayers spent over 14 billion dollars for the "big Dig" in Boston, would you favor the government spending money on the levees and pumps of NOLA? Isn't protection of a major port facility city just as important as solving traffic problems in Boston?

Collapse -
Hope you don't get hit too hard there Roger
by SteveGargini / September 15, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

The storm on James's link looks really horrendous.
Something I cannot understand from the satellite picture is the time given. It said 18 something a moment ago, and it's 20:20 here. Weird?

Collapse -
Re: Accuweather
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 15, 2004 1:51 PM PDT

Hi, Roger.

I hate that Joe Bastardi's columns are no longer available for free. I'd even pay a small amount, but you can only get them if you sign up for Accuweather's whole "professional" service at about $20 per month Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wow! And I'd never taken the time to go to New Orleans
by Dan McC / September 15, 2004 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Ivan image
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hope there is something left!
by Dragon / September 15, 2004 6:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are two places in the US that are below sea level
by Dan McC / September 15, 2004 6:37 AM PDT

And I think that Death Valley is pretty safe from this storm.

Collapse -
Now there's an idea.
by James Denison / September 15, 2004 10:41 AM PDT

Cut a channel from the closest point to Death Valley, flood it, and let it become an inland salt sea. It might temper the weather there and the whole desert turn into a tropical sort of paradise.

Collapse -
It wouldn't have to be a very large channel either
by SteveGargini / September 15, 2004 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Now there's an idea.

I wonder how many miles it is from the sea?

Collapse -
It's a big national park area
by James Denison / September 15, 2004 2:31 PM PDT

near the California, Nevada border region. It's not like it would displace a lot of people to do it.

Collapse -
Re: Ivan looks like a real rotter
by Rolway / September 15, 2004 6:42 AM PDT

I've been listening to some of the radio reports coming in from the Cajun station I listen to, out of Larose, LA which is just a bit SW of New Orleans. It does'nt look good down there. If New Orleans takes a direct hit or it goes a little bit west of there, its going to be a disaster. If it stays more to the east it may not be too bad. Parts of New Orleans is built 7 ft. below sea level. Its all pretty well evacuated by now.

Collapse -
I hope to God they have all got out of there George
by SteveGargini / September 15, 2004 1:29 PM PDT

Not to sure where Bilox is, spelling probably wrong, but Mojo said it looks like a direct hit on that area.

Collapse -
Thanks for the link George
by SteveGargini / September 16, 2004 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Updated Link

Our prayers on S.E must have been answered for a lot of people along the Gulf coast.
Only a few dead, bless them, but things could have been so much worse.

Collapse -
It now looks like Biloxi, Ms...
by lylesg / September 15, 2004 10:06 AM PDT

is right in the path of the eye. Biloxi, is very near N.O. Prayers for all the people in the path of Ivan.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Prayers on there way Mojo - Hope everyone got out ok :
by SteveGargini / September 15, 2004 1:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
My mom, sister and brother-in-law left Huntsville, AL...
by Paul C / September 15, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

...yesterday and are now in Massachusetts. While Huntsville's in northern AL, the projected track takes the storm - which will probably still be Category 2 or 3 - directly over the town. They boarded up and got out.

Collapse -
Looks ok in the Huntsville area Paul - Biloxi looks very
by SteveGargini / September 15, 2004 2:09 PM PDT

dodgy though.
Not sure it has actually hit land yet, but that is the expected point of entry.
Glad your family got out ok - Better safe than sorry.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?