Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ivan and it's aftermath, any stories here on SE?

by Roger NC / September 17, 2004 12:18 PM PDT

As a squall line has cleared here, with tornado warnings less than 10 mile away (now cancelled), wondering what people here on Speakeasy have seen with Ivan.

Both as far as further south and the flooding in the mountains.

NC, Virginia, West Virginia, and even further north reported flooding in the mountains I believe. I'm not sure about Tennessee and Kentucky?

There has been a huge number of tornados reported from Florida panhandle north to Virginia at least.

Here in NE NC, except for that one mentioned squall line a little while ago, I've had almost nothing to note from it. Gusty wind occasionally, brief downpours of rain, that's all right here at my home.

How about the rest of Speakeasy? given that the coastal area is the worse, what other reports do we have from members here?

Decided to post this as I prepare to go to work, catch ya'll later.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ivan and it's aftermath, any stories here on SE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ivan and it's aftermath, any stories here on SE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ivan is over Maryland right now.
by James Denison / September 17, 2004 1:18 PM PDT

Some rain, some rumblings, a bit of breezy, definitely muggy, but nothing much to report. Earlier however there were some tornados south of us in Loudon county Virginia and heading toward Montgomery county Maryland. Chantilly community near Fairfax had a tornado, some power lines and trees down. The tornado in Loudon destroyed homes. In Leesburg Va. in Loudon county several airplane hangers were burning due to lightning strikes, and the airport was shut down for awhile. Dulles airport near Washington was shutdown for about an hour and half due to the tornados in the region, but none hit right there. We have flood and tornado watches, no longer warnings in the area. I just heard there were an estimated 20 tornados in the area, but I don't think that meant they all touched down, but were on doppler. I think most of this will be gone by tomorrow though.

Collapse -
Severe thunderstorm over Maryland forecast James
by SteveGargini / September 17, 2004 5:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
Two tornadoed hit here, James...
by J. Vega / September 18, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

James, a tornado hit Winchester (Va) and destroyed someone's house (no one home, so no one hurt), and then went north. I'm about a mile or two north of that and that one went to the east of the house, I think. About 90 minutes later, one dropped on the freeway about a mile or so away. It flipped several cars and semi trucks. The news said that some people were trapped and the freeway was closed. Then, I lost my one remaining TV channel, so I don't know the eventual outcome. Hopefully, everybody was O.K in the cars.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it didn't hit you, and no one was hurt.
by James Denison / September 18, 2004 4:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Ivan and it's aftermath, any stories here on SE?
by lylesg / September 17, 2004 1:45 PM PDT

Atlanta and the metro area fared pretty well considering that we had some flooding and 30-50mph. winds. Most streams reached flood stage or slightly above. Peachtree Creek normally crests at 3ft. with a flood stage of 17ft. It crested at over 22ft. Thursday night. That may be the second highest crest for Peachtree Creek. There were downed trees around the metro area and loss of power for a couple hundred thousand, but nothing long term. I haven?t heard of any loss of life in the metro area due to the storm, so Atlanta was fortunate.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people who are less fortunate.

Collapse -
Sadly I retract.......
by lylesg / September 19, 2004 11:13 PM PDT

my statement I haven?t heard of any loss of life in the metro area due to the storm,...

A six year old girl was swept away by the flood waters of Nancy Creek. Sad

Collapse -
Just a rant...Heard on local TV tonight that our City
by John Robie / September 17, 2004 2:18 PM PDT

Public Service is sending around 100 employees to Alabama to help them out with electrical/gas problems. Gee, we are 700-800 miles away from Alabama, and most are expected to stay up to 6 weeks. The TV news report didn't mention which taxpayers (local city(s) or feds) are going to cover the motel, meals, salary, transportation, and other cost.

Regardless of who pays, it just indicates another fat cat govt entity we have in our city that can let 100 people go off for that long with no problem, so why are the 100 even needed in our city. No wonder our electric/gas bills are so high, annother padding it appears to me.

Just a rant...ignore.

Collapse -
Re: Just a rant...Heard on local TV tonight that our City
by Roger NC / September 17, 2004 11:05 PM PDT

Well we had them here in northeaster NC last year after Isabel from all over, even Texas I think. And it was still about 4 weeks I think before restored power in NC and Virginia reached 90% of those down.

The smaller co-ops have one organization, the huge companies have another. The purpose is mutual aid, sort of like NATO for nations.

There is a lot of regular line work that can and is postponed when something more urgent comes along. Normal replacement of poles and lines, cleaning transformers and switchgears, even connecting new lines for loop feeding so when there is a problem a smaller area can be isolated to be down rather than an entire local network.

Without the mutual aid pacts, a storm such as this one might mean neighborhoods would be off for months instead of weeks, or weeks instead of days. And then you'd really have people complaining of who got fixed first. Normal priority is fairly simple at the disaster stage, whatever will benefit the largest number of people is the first fix. Which means those of us out in the boondocks sometimes have to wait a bit.

I think it was weeks or even a couple of months before power was completely restored in Virginia along US 17 through the Great Dismal Swamp between NC and Norfolk area.

I suspect that's how they could spare 100 to help, by postponing all normal maintanence for a while.

I'm sure someplaces may not be absolutely as lean as they may be, but local utilities are just like everyone else, they're paring down all the time lately.

RogerNC

Collapse -
by TONI H / September 17, 2004 11:20 PM PDT

AEP services our area in Virginia and since Charlie, most of our service people have been down there and still haven't returned because Frances made her entry and then Ivan.......Our skeleton crew has been doing a magnificant job of getting our services back up and running, normally within twelve hours of being out, and they better ALL get raises, even if it means having to pay a little more in our electric bill. There's nobody else out there who could do what they do in the weather conditions they work under most of the time and, like teachers, cops, and fire personnel, deserve more than what they get around here.

TONI

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 18, 2004 4:12 AM PDT

Now the news indicates our sending 100 CPS people to Alabama is a reciprocal help, if we need some Alabama help for a disaster they will help us. Well, that sounds reasonable, but the thanks from Alabama should be to our local CPS rate payers.

I've lived in and around this city for over 60 years and don't recall any time that we needed help outside of Texas for any disaster. We have had hurricanes from the Gulf coast reach us, tornadoes (minor with some that even hit in the city limits), earthquakes (minor just south), many flash floods from rains, and recently train crashes that caused toxic contamination deaths, but do not recall asking for help outside the city. Course' maybe one of these days we will have a biggie, and it will be nice to call in our markers from out of state. In the mean time we help our neighbor states with our rate payments and proper thanks to those is in order rather than all to CPS and the politicians.

Collapse -
by MKay / September 17, 2004 11:16 PM PDT

I live in Easterm Ohio close to the PA border.and three times in the last 45 days the area has been flooded. Our state representative Strictland has applied each time for a disaster proclamation and FEMA nor anybody else has even showed up. The initial devastation showing in the eyes of the victims is truly heartbreaking but now the look they have of defeat is even more painful. A TV station held a mini telethon and people are trying as best they can to help these victims but in an area that has the highest unemployment in the nation, it's not a realistic solution.Bush has been to our area or sent representitives but not to view the devestation but simply to campaign. I did not want to end up making this a political issue but you can't make it anything but.

Collapse -
What about John Glenn?
by James Denison / September 18, 2004 5:47 AM PDT

Isn't he from your state? Doesn't he have some influence still in Washington?

Collapse -
Re: Update
by MKay / September 19, 2004 9:55 PM PDT

The area was declared a disaster area over the weekend. A FEMA # was published. No word when they would be here though.

Collapse -
Re: Update and update again.
by MKay / September 20, 2004 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Update

More like a downer. The news wasn't exactly what we had hoped for. The only damage that will be covered is from the Ivan aftermath and the worst damage and loss of life was on Aug 27. The Gov. is appealing but that could take eons. So people are trying to pull themselves up as best they can.

Collapse -
by C1ay / September 18, 2004 1:36 AM PDT

Here, west of Atlanta, I've personally seen nothing but a high creek and one blown down tree. On the news I've seen some minor flooding and downed trees in the local area. We did have some isolated pockets without power Thursday afternoon but I think must of them were back online by Friday. They did close the schools here for Thursday and Friday to be on the safe side.

Collapse -
Roger, how close to Macon County are you?
by TONI H / September 18, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

CNN showing videos and live reporting and the place has been wiped clean after a normal 5' creek that has never flooded before became a 30' wall of water and took houses off their foundations, uprooted trees, destroyed the road, and killed four people already with people missing still.

TONI

Collapse -
Just about as far as you can get within the state
by Roger NC / September 18, 2004 9:05 AM PDT

Macon county is actually where my wife and I rode around for couple of days after our wedding. It's in the western tip of NC. There are a lot of narrow valleys and deep folds there. That area is filled with small and larger waterfalls (the reason we spent time there) and lots of narrow waterways. I can easily see where flash flooding in some places there could be huge disasters. Water pouring down a deep narrow chasm, then hitting a wider spot where people have built and there probably be a vertical wall coming at them. Maybe similair to what I've read about in the dry glutches of the desserts just east of the western (Rocky etc) mountain ranges.

NC county map

Cherokee county is the very most western tip of NC county, then Graham/Clay and Macon.

I'm all the way across the state in the northeastern quadrant.

RogerNC

Collapse -
For some reason
by TONI H / September 18, 2004 9:22 AM PDT

I thought you were in Boone right below me as I'm in the western tip of VA that connects to NC and Tenn

Glad you were out of that area.......

TONI

Collapse -
Re: For some reason
by Roger NC / September 18, 2004 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: For some reason

Probably from a couple of years ago when I was talking with you about the area when I was visiting Mount Airy and up the parkway from there and then going to stay in Boone a few days.

RogerNC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?