General discussion

IU561401.cab & YS561401.cab missing

Jul 11, 2006 4:01PM PDT

After cleaning up my home computer, WORD will not start and it asks me to install the disc, which I do, but then I get a message saying that either YS561401.cab is missing or IU561401.cab is missing and it can't load or run the programme. It has obviously affected my Outlook also.
Any ideas on how to fix this? I looked on this machine but could not find any files by this name to copy.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IU561401.cab & YS561401.cab missing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IU561401.cab & YS561401.cab missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First try this..
Jul 11, 2006 4:08PM PDT

Run the setup from cd by double clicking PRO11.MSI , Or try to right click the ****** and choose run. If you have the other issue still, let me know.

Paul

- Collapse -
No result, unfortunately
Jul 12, 2006 5:39AM PDT

Thanks for your help. No, that didn't work. The cabinet files that it keeps telling me that it's waiting to cache are definitely in the computer - I looked for them using the "search" facility.

Tried to part reinstall it but it came up with another missing "cabinet" file.

Should I try "uninstall"ing the whole MS Office 2003 and then reinstall? Or do have a safer suggestion?

- Collapse -
Strange for sure...
Jul 12, 2006 3:40PM PDT

but did you try Bob's suggestion? By any chance, is this a cracked bit torrent version?

Thanks ,

Paul

- Collapse -
Wouldn't know what one of those is !!
Jul 12, 2006 5:08PM PDT

Thanks for your continued support.

I have no idea what a cracked bit torrent version is? Sounds brilliant though - being an old-git !!

You probably think the delay in response a little weird but I'm based in Dubai, UAE and there's a fair time difference. I will take Bob's advice and when I get home tonight(it's my home-based compaq laptop - the one that the screen snapped off from - that has the glitch) and uninstall then re-install. Can't do any harm.

Actually, I had backed up the C Drive to an external Hard Drive in preparation for this operation - just in case I got the go-ahead from you boffins(that's "experts", by the way).

Thanks again.

- Collapse -
I wouldn't
Jul 13, 2006 3:26AM PDT

say brilliant, but most of these combo missing files seems to lead to that is all as a cracked version is what seems to encounter these two errors the most and have many fixes for them. Was just wondering is all.

Take care,

Paul

- Collapse -
Was this the Office 2003 evaluation download?
Jul 11, 2006 9:19PM PDT

Details could help, but evals tend to expire.

Bob

- Collapse -
It isn't a download
Jul 12, 2006 5:49AM PDT

Thanks so much for your interest. It isn't a download and all the other Office Pro 2003 features are unaffected. The cabinet files that it tells me it can't find are definitely in the computer.

Funnily enough, I can get Word to open by left-clicking all the boxes that come up when I try to open it from "all programs" - but Outlook can't find it. I can still use it for a mail merge from Word once it's open.

Strange, isn't it?!

- Collapse -
Since it's the full version, uninstall it.
Jul 12, 2006 6:09AM PDT

Then use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove it from it's list and reinstall. Be sure to backup what Office documents you want to save before this.

Bob

- Collapse -
Have Backed up C Drive completely to an external Hard Drive
Jul 12, 2006 4:59PM PDT

Thanks for your continued support.

You probably think the delay in response a little weird but I' based in Dubai, UAE and there's a fair time difference. I will take your advice and when I get home tonight(it's my home-based compaq laptop - the one the screen snapped off from that has the glitch) and uninstall then re-install. Can't do any harm.

Thanks again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info