Mac OS forum

General discussion

itunes video

by thegeekdeek / October 17, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

I have an iBook 800 Mhz G3 640 MB SDRAM OS 10.4.8

If I try to view a video purchased at the Music store or a video podcast, the playback is choppy both audio and video like its buffering.

Is the reason its doing this because of the G3 processor or what?

Can Quicktime play iTune videos?

I've never had a problem with QT playing a video however I don't see an option on the iTune preferences for video playback with anything other than iTunes.

Also, half the time after I close the lid, I get no desktop after reopening and am forced to power up without shutting down properly.

Is this a sign of something not kosher? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: itunes video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: itunes video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
according to apple.com
by boya84 / October 17, 2006 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: itunes video

there was no iBook G3 800 MHz machine... at least none that I can find in the iBook G3 series list... anyway, presuming you are using a G3 machine, that debuted in 1998... 8 years ago.

http://support.apple.com/specs/powerbook/PowerBook_G3_Series.html

I'd say that between your RAM (640 meg) and OS and CPU and iTunes, running choppy iTunes video would be expected... And I would not expect QuickTime to play iTunes video as that would probably defeat the security required by the studios and artists... But 8 years is a darned good run!

As for the sleep issue - I suggest you check out the Support area at Apple.com. The Knowledge base and user forums are quite extensive.

Collapse -
mrmacfixit pointed out to me
by boya84 / October 17, 2006 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: according to apple.com

that there is indeed a more recent machine

http://support.apple.com/specs/ibook/iBook_Early_2003.html

my apologies for any confusion... that said, I still stand by the fact that a G3, 800MHz, iBook with the RAM you have is definitely riding the edge running 10.4.8... so I'm not surprised on the issue you are reporting with iTunes video.

Collapse -
iBook and iTunes
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: itunes video

Running 10.4.8 on this machine is pushing the edge of the envelope. I think I would have stopped at 10.3.9

QuickTime, either the version downloaded with iTunes or the version previously installed with the system, should be version 7.1.3 with iTunes being version 7.0.1 (7)

iTune video's are played back using QuickTime, hence the reason that QT is bundled with iTunes. Even if you locate the video that you downloaded, you may not be able to play it if it has DRM encoded on it. However, you should be able to open Non-DRM'd video files using something like VLC.

To be honest, your machine is getting a little long in the tooth and is now struggling to keep up with the "big boys". It's processor is very slow and you cannot squeeze any more memory into it.

I'll give the lid problem some thought and get back with you

P

Collapse -
I never knew..
by thegeekdeek / October 17, 2006 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: iBook and iTunes

that 10.4.8 would be pushing the limit. Why is that for the benefit of others who might be thinking of upgrading?

Is my machine in any type of "danger" because of this?

Collapse -
Tiger
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: I never knew..

Although your machine is capable of running OS 10.4.8, it is not capable of running it well. You may have noticed that it takes quite a while to open windows, launch programs and process data, or you may not have, since you have nothing to compare it with.

Your machine is in NO danger whatsoever. It will just run exceeding s l o w , but will still be usable. As programs become more processor/RAM intensive, iTunes for example, your machine will start to choke. I'm sure you have read that the performance of newer machines, sent out with 512MB of RAM, is greatly improved with the addition of a further 512MB of RAM. And that's with processors that are much, much faster than yours.

However, if the machine is working for you, you will loose nothing except a little time.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.