General discussion

ITunes Reverting to Generic Library

About every 10 days or so when I boot up ITunes, it reverts to a Generic Library. In other words, it boots up as a new copy of ITunes, with my library, settings, Genius settings, etc.. gone. Fortunately, I backup my computer regularly and am able to restore my Itunes library from backup, but it is annoying to have to do this. I am running Windows 7, with ITunes version 10.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ITunes Reverting to Generic Library
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ITunes Reverting to Generic Library
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Do you have an account that has a password?

or is there more than one account on that machine?

Could be that occasionally Windows cannot "find" the account that you normally use and rather than just kick you off, it generates an account for you using the default settings.
Of course, this means that there is no iTunes library, or at least one with any content, available to you.

You may even notice that your desktop picture is different, assuming that you have changed the picture from the default one.

Next time it happens, right click the Start menu > Explore and check to see if there is more than one account on that machine with your name on it.
Chances are that there is.

P

- Collapse -
Don't have more than one account on my machine

However, I did notice in my "Preferences" an Ipod, under "Devices" an entry for my daughter's Ipod in "Device Backups". I'm not sure this is the issue, but I deleted the entry anyway. My reasoning is that during bootup, ITunes may be looking for this Ipod, and not being able to find it, reverts me to a Generic Itunes desktop. Anyway, time will tell.

CNET Forums

Forum Info