HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

iTunes Problem

by Xavier / December 16, 2004 7:19 PM PST

I have a dell 8100 demension 3 years old and I am using windows XP. Whenever I start a new program and iTunes is running, iTunes would pause or skip for a couples of seconds. I'm using the latest version (4.7) When I purchased my iPod last year, I didn't have this problem. What is causing iTunes to pause/skip when a new program is opened?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe A CleanUp Is Needed.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes Problem

A three year old machines starts accumulated "stuff" that drags down the resources. Music players use a fair amount of resources anyway and when something else starts up, it's fairly normal to hear a slight jump..If your installed RAM is 256 MB or lower, you probably should add more. That would help. Follow the procedures in the links below and see if it gives the machine a little boost...

Ignore the first few sentences of the link below because WinXP doesn't display resources as listed, but follow the other procedures, especially check the "Services" links toward the bottom of the page.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Have you checked for spyware and adware? Use the three programs at the links below to do that. Download, install, update, then run the free programs that are provided.

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Similar Itunes Problem with DIM 8100
by monchie / January 15, 2005 4:58 PM PST

I'm in the same boiler too. It all started when my son was running Itunes and all of a sudden, the computer stood still and the power button light turned amber (instead of green). I had no choice but to force shut down the unit. It never woke up after a day or 2, and when it did, I immediately backed up my files and cleaned up all suspected junks using various utilities. I even uninstalled some programs, e.g., ram optimizers, tweaks, graphics, services, etc. except the unsuspecting Itunes. I have 256 ram and I never had problems with music/video players. After the clean up, the computer performed very well again (and noticeably faster and "stable") in the next few days. It occurred to me this morning that we should try Itunes again so I asked my son to download again his audio cds to Itunes for his Ipod. Viola!, in just about 5 minutes only, the computed hanged and even blacked the monitor out! Until now, the computer won't power up and instead, only the amber lit of the power button indicates life in the unit. What do you think? Please.

Collapse -
"... I'm using the latest version (4.7)" ...no you're not!
by LarryD / January 15, 2005 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: iTunes Problem

See http://www.vnunet.com/news/1160519 or simply visit Apple for 4.7.1

"iTunes users at risk from hackers
Subscribers urged to upgrade software immediately
Iain Thomson, vnunet.com 14 Jan 2005

Users of Apple's iTunes software need to upgrade immediately to avoid their computers being compromised, security experts have warned."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.