Computer Help forum

General discussion

itunes pc external drive

by window2door / May 17, 2009 3:46 AM PDT

I have my music on an external drive. I recently needed to reinstall itunes on my pc. I have pointed itunes on my pc to the external directory where my music is located. (E:\itunes\iTunes)

My music still does not show up in itunes. Any ideas why?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: itunes pc external drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: itunes pc external drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe the library ...
by Kees Bakker / May 17, 2009 4:26 AM PDT

is in your Documents and Settings? Then make it again.

Kees

Collapse -
itunes pc external drive
by window2door / May 17, 2009 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe the library ...

Thanks for your response. Yes my library is in my document settings. I'm confused as to what I need to change it to. My external directory is E:\itunes\iTunes how should I change my library? Thanks.

Collapse -
My idea was ...
by Kees Bakker / May 18, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

that the reinstall somehow erased your library. That's a good reason why it's empty. Just add all your music again.

Or see if the backup copy works.

Kees

Collapse -
itunes pc external drive
by window2door / May 18, 2009 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: My idea was ...

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I still want my music on my external drive. What do I need to do with the library? Sorry I need this spelled out....you want me to copy the music to my library on my pc? I don't want the music on my pc. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry, i don't know iTunes.
by Kees Bakker / May 18, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

Forget what I said and hope for someone more knowledgeable to come by. I don't even know what you meant in your first post with "pointed to".

It could also be a DRM issue if it's protected music you had. But you don't tell the details.

What happens if you add new music?

Kees

Collapse -
Similar problem discussed here?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 18, 2009 6:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
itunes pc external drive
by window2door / May 18, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

just a thought...even though I do not have any music on my pc and it is all on my external drive, do I still need to 'consolidate library' in order for the music to show up?

Collapse -
iTunes PC external Drive
by window2door / June 10, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe the library ...

Hi,

I did consolidate my libaray which helped. I ended up needing to play the music on my external drive in order for iTunes to recognize it. It thinks I'm sharing my music with a new computer. iTunes only lets you share with up to 5 computers. I needed to reinstall my laptop twice...so now iTunes thinks I'm sharing my music with 3 computers. Only two new intalls left..don't you love iTunes!

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!