Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Itunes Library not Playable

by tamburlaine63 / January 18, 2007 9:38 PM PST

Hello - I've probably done something to my Itunes which I hope is reversible. In an attempt to 'back-up' my music I dragged what I think was the Itunes library folder to a Lexar 2gig flashdrive. Seemed to go OK, but the next days' session on Itunes showed this: None of my playlists would play, and when individual selections from either a playlist or the library were clicked on, a flag came up saying 'could not be played because original files cannot be found', and an exclamation point would be next to the selection. Later, in the 'user' folder in Finder, I found some; not sure if all of the music, and it could be played! Now, do I drag each folder to the Itunes Library, or what would be best to do? My library still shows it's holding the same amountbas before this glitch, so in my thinking, it's all 'gotta be there somewhere'...Thanks - Eric

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Itunes Library not Playable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Itunes Library not Playable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now Worse!
by tamburlaine63 / January 19, 2007 8:04 AM PST

An update on this: Earlier today I had my full iTunes library and all playlists. Although none would play, of course, showing the dreaded exclamation point and the flag indicating 'itunes files cannot be found'. On a Mac iTunes forum through the archives I found a similar issue where the solution was described as; 'the iTunes Library must stay in the iTunes/Music folder'. Did that, and now have absolutely nothing either in the Library or the playlist groups I'd made. Looks like when someone turns on their new computer the first time...mrmacfixit! Where are you?? - Thanks, Eric

Collapse -
Itunes Library
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2007 9:21 AM PST

My first thought was to move the file you dragged onto the Lexar, back to where it was.
Music does not have to be in the music folder, it can be anywhere on the computer, as long as iTunes knows where to find it. The iTunes library usually lives in the music folder but you can drag it to an external drive and, as long as you tell iTunes where you put it, you will be fine.
What do you have on the Lexar drive? Is it the entire library or just parts of it.
The music you found in your Home folder (user), move it back to the Music folder.

Use spotlight to see if you can locate any MP3's laying around. Do NOT delete the thing that is on the Lexar drive.

Let us know how you get on.

P

Collapse -
Wish I Knew...
by tamburlaine63 / January 19, 2007 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: Itunes Library

Somehow got all back in the library through a 'who knows really why this happened' sequence, and going to 'Add to Library' function for completion. I have no idea why now all selections are playing; I can't think I 'fixed' anything, at least on purpose. Right now I'm burning the entire library to CD's; something that should have been done originally...of course. I can declare that this entire glitch happened in the midst of downloading an album from Itunes, interrupted in mid-download by my dial-up connection. And after extensive searching, I can find only four of the six selections on the album...bummer. Still have to rebuild all the playlists, but at least in better shape than when I posted. Thanks much - Eric

Collapse -
A very good idea
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2007 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: Wish I Knew...

to burn all your tracks to CD.
Glad to hear that you managed to get up and running (playing) again.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?