Question

ITunes keeps shutting down by DEP

Jun 1, 2014 2:27AM PDT

I uninstalled and re-installed iTunes from the apple site but my Microsoft Data Execution Prevention program keeps shutting it down. AVG indicated a trojan (which it got rid of) but the download also added MyPC Backup and a couple of other unwanted programs. How do I keep iTunes running? This is the only computer still running XP but it is connected to a WiFi network and I am worried that the problem will affect my other devices.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ITunes keeps shutting down by DEP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ITunes keeps shutting down by DEP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Where are you downloading iTunes from?
Jun 1, 2014 6:21AM PDT
- Collapse -
I downloaded from the Apple site that you listed.
Jun 1, 2014 10:01AM PDT

That's whats got me bugged. I always assume that legit Apple downloads are clean. Bob provided a hint that DEP does not work if virus protection is turned on. So I double checked. My AVG is indicating that my computer is protected. The MyPC Backup malware was a real devil to get rid of. I'm going to assume that it is a CODEC issue but that's way over my head. Time for a pro.
Thanks everyone

- Collapse -
Answer
I don't see a clear cure.
Jun 1, 2014 2:30AM PDT
- Collapse -
Yes, I tried to disable DEP as suggested in prior forums
Jun 1, 2014 5:26AM PDT

I followed the directions to disable DEP. The only program that DEP is messing with is iTunes. I checked the box to leave iTunes alone, restarted my computer but nothing changed. I'll keep searching for other things to try but maybe it's time to scrap this computer. Thanks for your help

- Collapse -
So disable it.
Jun 1, 2014 5:51AM PDT
- Collapse -
See the note above.
Jun 1, 2014 6:28AM PDT

Crapware seems to be in play as well.

CNET Forums

Forum Info