Computer Help forum

General discussion

iTunes Installer will not install

by kwl147 / March 20, 2009 7:29 PM PDT

I have got an issue with the iTunes installer...I tried firstly to install the new iTunes from software update and it said it couldn't do it and recommended that i do it manually, however when I tried doing this the installer said that the "folder path program files contains an invalid character" and after that it finishes and says that it couldn't install iTunes.....I have no idea what to do about this....i tried some of the steps on apple itunes support page....but that hasn't worked...i really don't want to have to uninstall iTunes completely and then have to install it again....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes Installer will not install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes Installer will not install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're gonna have to . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2009 11:45 PM PDT

reinstall it but it'll leave your music alone of that's your concern (music is located elsewhere). First, open Explorer and see if there's a folder in Program files called iTunes. If it's there, remove it. Then download iTunes and save it. Do not use the auto-run/auto-install.

Reboot.

Install iTunes.

Collapse -
Tried that but unsuccessful
by kwl147 / March 21, 2009 10:49 PM PDT

I tried your advice and it didn't work....the itunes installer still say that the folder path to program files contains an invalid character.....

Collapse -
Tell me one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

Please tell what HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir says. This key is responsible for returning program files directory and is more than likely corrupt. Make sure it says C:\Program Files

Collapse -
it does infact say..........
by kwl147 / March 21, 2009 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell me one thing.

It does say C:\ Program Files.....

Collapse -
That looks wrong.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 12:22 AM PDT

Any period after that would be incorrect.

There could be other issues but for those you find the owner was running registry cleaners.

Also, you can try the ALTERNATIVE form of that entry but your story is not complete so I have no reason to try this yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't understand
by kwl147 / March 22, 2009 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: That looks wrong.

I don't quite understand you....ok so now what am I doomed to not be able to sync my ipod and not be able to install itunes?

Collapse -
Too much missing detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 12:30 AM PDT

I looked at this a second time and found people with install issues just like this but there were disturbing things going on with their OS.

Items like:

1. An nLite'd Windows.
2. Registry cleaners.
3. 64 bit versions of Windows.
4. An OS that had suffered a malware attack (just as bad as item 2.)

Given so little to work with and no details such as the logon account, permissions to the registry and more, I see nothing but the usual issues.

Any guess is likely to be a bad one.
Bob

Collapse -
what does?
by kwl147 / March 22, 2009 12:33 AM PDT

I do use Ccleaner but nothing other than that.....i have 32bit XP and do malware scans on a regular basis....also what does "an nlited windows" mean?

Collapse -
Sadly it looks like you will soon
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: what does?

Have more issues popping up. Windows is not without problems and if you do not use a search engine to catch up on new words then you will feel lost.

Back on subject. More clues are required to nail down this issue. It's usually not an Apple software issue since the installer they use is what a lot of companies use. I expect you to have more issues soon.

-> In closing, if you can't understand a reply, be sure to use google on the new words first. It's that or make better, complete posts.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by kwl147 / March 22, 2009 1:14 AM PDT

well I have just sorted out some issues to do with my DVD and ROM drivers as they went out of action because the drivers were corrupted....it was then that iTunes asked me to reinstall itself....I am running a fujitsu siemens Scaleo P desktop....windows xp media center 2005....aside from that no other issues have crept up other than spyware doctor consistently detecting threats and removing them......

Collapse -
I checked your first post and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

You didn't tell about that!

Your choice here but when you leave out details and the story the replies will be wrong.

Spyware Doctor and such could be blocking installs. As to the missing CD/DVD and the corrupt item it's a well discussed area but your choice on leaving out details led us in the wrong direction.

-> So here we are. Just a little more bits and pieces of the story and if I had the full story BEFORE you blew away the upper and lower filters I would have shared this link.
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=CD/DVD_drives_disappear_after_installing_iTunes

Collapse -
Sorry....
by kwl147 / March 22, 2009 1:29 AM PDT

I sorted out the issues with my corrupted drivers with my drives...but now what?....I think i will try what you suggested and shutdown spyware doctor for a while and try the installer......

Collapse -
Refuses to work.....still.....god im getting pissed off now
by kwl147 / March 22, 2009 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry....

The Flaming thing still won't work!.....******** it!.....i shutdown spyware doctor and it still say there's an invalid character!......

Collapse -
Now what.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry....

Start over.

We have a dozen posts and only now is the picture getting clearer. You blew away some registry entries and we may have some PC that someone has been installing CODEC packages too.

-> I'd call this discussion dead because of the first incomplete post and the dribbling out of the details. If we carry on like this my bet is that the only fix would be to toast the OS and start over.
Bob

Collapse -
iTunes won't install Answer
by cossee / May 31, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

Seen same issue before, Try the Below, it Should fix your problem.
Register the VBScript engine again
If the latest VBScript engine is already installed, register it again. Note that you must be logged in as administrator or logged in as a user with administrator privileges for the computer to execute these steps.
For Windows 2000 or Windows XP:
1. On the Start menu, click Run.
2. In the "Open" field dialog box, enter the following command and click OK:
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
3. A message should appear stating that the "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded."
4. Click OK and try installing iTunes or QuickTime again.
For Windows Vista or Windows 7:
1. In the Start menu, type cmd in the Start Search field.
2. Right-click on cmd in the list of search results and click Run as administrator in the pop-up menu. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue. (If you are not logged in as an administrator, you will need to authenticate with an administrator login and password.)
3. In the Command Prompt window, enter the following command:
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
4. Press Enter on the keyboard. A message should appear stating: "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded."
Note: If you see a message with "error code 0x80004005", the command window was not

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?