Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

Itunes importing help

by PurpleCarrott / December 17, 2011 6:08 PM PST

Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong forum, i'm using windows and couldn't find a windows iTunes forum.

<div>I'd like to import a movie on my computer into iTunes, but whatever I do it won't go in! I have lots of different versions of it, each refusing to go in. They range from 260mb to 900mb, and the file extensions are .mov, .mp4, .m4v and .wmv. I've tried dragging it into iTunes from the desktop and nothing happens (although it does highlight the library section with a blue border when I drag it over there) and the same happens when I add a file using the file menu. When I put it on a CD and try to add it from there, it refuses to recognise the CD. I've tried importing the folder it's in and it says 'Processing' for a few seconds (however, it only seems to be processing other files in the folder) and then doesn't put any of them in the library.

PurpleCarrott has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Itunes importing help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Itunes importing help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by PurpleCarrott

Collapse -
Movies that you want to import into iTunes
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 17, 2011 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Itunes importing help

must be in a format that iTunes can handle.
This from the Apple iTunes site.
"QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player"

How did you get all those different versions of the movie? Downloaded each one individually or by converting them in some way.

I suspect the latter here but I could be wrong.

My suggestion, download and install a copy of Handbrake. This app will reliably convert just about anything into a format that iTunes will be happy with.

On the subject of Chrome, "the apple support thing" would NEVER ask you to install Chrome. It may ask you if you want to install Safari but it would never suggest Chrome.

Let us know how you get on with Handbrake.

BTW, there is not a Windows iTunes forum

P

Collapse -
Itunes importing help
by PurpleCarrott / December 18, 2011 12:06 AM PST

Yeah, i downloaded it in .mp4 format and converted it to all the others. About chrome, sorry for my bad wording Happy it didnt ask to download chrome, it just asked what browser I had. I've seen that apple quote before, and they can play on Quicktime which is why i'm a bit confused.
I've also tried renaming the file to 'Video' incase it's something to do with the name; that still didn't work.
I've just downloaded handbrake, it seems to be taking a very long time so i'll reply when it's done.
Thanks!

Collapse -
Handbrake
by PurpleCarrott / December 18, 2011 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: Itunes importing help

I've tried the videos with handbrake and got really confused when it closed mid-conversion Happy I'm assuming it's meant to do that? The new files are on my desktop but the file size is increasing every time I hover over them. The first time, I thought it had finished, so I tried to play it with Quicktime and it said it couldn't recognise it. Maybe because it wasn't finished?
Thanks

Collapse -
I noticed you write the "videos" and "files"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Handbrake

While handbrake is good stuff, when I encounter a set of files it can't handle I then convert ONE AT A TIME.

Handbrake does demand a machine to work properly. I've lost count how many times the host machine had other issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Handbrake
by PurpleCarrott / December 18, 2011 1:04 AM PST

Sorry - my bad wording again
I tried it once, and it closed mid conversion. I assumed it was finished (I didn't realise it was just the window closing) and tried again, thats where the plural comes from. I'm not trying to do all the files at once!

Collapse -
Try one file at a time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 1:09 AM PST

Sometimes you find encoding that Handbrake can't convert. For those you look at other convertors or

YOU TELL US HOW YOU MADE THE FILE.
Bob

Collapse -
Handbrake
by PurpleCarrott / December 18, 2011 1:11 AM PST

Handbrake does seem to be converting it fine. It's just a standard .mov file. I downloaded it off the internet somewhere a while ago, can't remember where. But it's a perfectly fine file with the right encoding.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 1:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks!
by PurpleCarrott / December 18, 2011 3:28 AM PST

I used Handbrake and it worked, i've no idea why it wasn't working before. Thanks so much Happy

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?