Audio & Video Software forum

Question

iTunes imported wrongly, and is being a confusing mess.

by QuietBlackCat / April 6, 2012 8:00 AM PDT

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, on HP Pavilion dv6-6c 13cl. The following post may be confusing and long, but it is illustrating the process of my actions and thoughts over the past night and day.

I copy/pasted my entire Music folder into an external hard drive. I started by trying to paste the entire thing and succeeded in transfering a little before the computer froze. Thanks to the computer crashing, I had to learn my lesson and go file by file, but ended up with the Music labeled folders within Music labeled folders and a generally disorganized and huge Music folder, with duplicates running around and all that.

When I installed iTunes in the new computer, this gave me problems in that not all my music was being read, but I reached a semblance of organization by pasting missing music into every folder labeled iTunes music on my laptop. so that all of my files made it, and all the playlists too.

But I wanted to erase all the files and start over again, so the music folder wouldn't be occupying so much space and have folders within folders, etcetera. Also, although my iPod appeared under Devices in iTunes, it would say it was being synced and charged, and then after it was done syncing it would stop charging even though it was still under Devices.

I went back to my music folder and slowly copied each file into a new folder named Music in an external hard drive. Then I erased the Music from both the Libraries section and the Username1 section and pasted in the new Music folder. iTunes remained empty. So I manually clicked on File, Add folder to library, and even selected the new Music folder from the external drive instead of the computer. It imported, but now I have 39 missing podcasts: there had been 401 previously on both the iTunes of my old computer and the the iTunes of my new one. The TV shows section said fourteen instead of twelve, which is what it had been previously - and eleven on the old computer, because I downloaded a file to this one. Now all my playlists are gone as well.

Curiously, aside from the organizational messup of when I first transferred the files, the only difference between now and then is that before, I just copy/pasted. This time, I followed the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

I only deviated from those instructions in that I brought the whole Music folder, not just the iTunes folder within it. Also, I hadn't uninstalled iTunes after erasing the Music. When iTunes became empty, I uninstalled it, after having pasted the Music folder in the computer, and then reinstalled it. It was still empty and that was when I used File -> add folder to library, and decided to ask here.

Important: the numbers are now changing. I'm leaving the above post as it is, to expose the understanding of the situation I had before the numbers started wobbling, because I'm still confused and my problems are now the same, only worse.

The amount of podcasts decreased to 325 while I was writing the posts and is increasing to the 500s, not stopping. Also, I can't remember whether or not it said 138 of the items in iTunes U when I started writing this, but it says it now that it is 138 when in the working iTunes library it had 169. Now the podcasts count has stabilized at 640 and the TV shows count is going up. I think it's because I've copied the iTunes folder within the Music folder I added to the Music folder... this is complicated, so diagram:
Username1-> My Music -> iTunes, Music, and Music-Copy (from a copy I accidentally made of I don't know which folder, the old Music one I was replacing or the new one). The Music-labeled folders have iTunes folders within them, by the way. Within iTunes, there are: iTunes Media, Album Artwork, iTunes library extras, iTunes library genius, iTunes Library, and iTunes Music Library.

Within iTunes media, there was an automatically add folder. It was empty, and I thought that might be the problem, so I pasted the iTunes music folder within it. Now the Media folder has categories like Music, Podcasts, etcetera, and the automatically add folder has iTunes Music and Not added folders.

Those might be why the number of tv shows and podcasts have increased, and my library now says it has twice the content it did before I messed with the iTunes Media folder, even as I'm sure that I have no items that weren't previously there and the number of iTunes U items has not increased.

I have just connected the iPod, and it tells me that the iPod is synced with another library and would I like to erase it and sync with this one? I chose no and have closed iTunes. The iPod is still connected, but is not charging. Help! I had a problem and screwed it up worse.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes imported wrongly, and is being a confusing mess.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes imported wrongly, and is being a confusing mess.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I think this is a fine example of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

Why we must back up and follow those backup and restore procedures to the letter.

-> If there is something worth saving from the iPod, take a look at iRip.

Read all about iRip if there is anything on the pod you must save because the iTunes library is lost.
Bob

Collapse -
Pretty much everything I have on my iPod.
by QuietBlackCat / April 6, 2012 9:12 AM PDT

My iPod is a mirror of my iTunes library on the old computer, except for a few files like the digital booklets that came with a few of the albums, and the tv episodes I downloaded that weren't playable on my iPod. Plus a Mobile Application that is also not in the new library. I suppose that I could copy/paste those into the new library after I rip the remaining files from the iPod? Do I have to erase everything in an iTunes folder from my computer before ripping the iPod? Uninstall then reinstall iTunes? I hope the free trial has all the features I'll need for this one maneuever.

I still have the folder I initially pasted into this new machine that was read correctly except for the iPod not syncing with it. I now see that despite my making sure I copied every file, I must have missed something, because that initial Music folder has 47.1 GB, while the folder I was more methodical about has 44.7 GB. So that might explain the missing things. I don't understand why that happened, unless there were some hidden files that transfer only if I copy the whole thing.

Are you sure I can't just delete everything again, uninstall iTunes, install it, and paste the old folder again? Though that might still leave me with the problem of syncing and charging the iPod. I think my pasting into the iTunes media folder is what caused everything to clone itself so the library is twice its size, just as the article I linked to said would happen.

To summarize everything, my initial copy/pasting worked fine except for the syncing/charging problem and the disorganization and huge size of the Music folder itself. The iTunes library itself was the size it should be. Then I followed the steps outlined in the article except that I had iTunes installed already when I went to paste. And that I pasted the whole Music folder into the Music categories of the laptop because I wanted all the files in it on my computer. Well, I just realized that I also didn't bother consolidating and backing up the existing library on this computer to then drag it onto the desktop, which the article said to do, because I erased it instead. Except for a copy that is on both my computer if I look under my User Profile folder within my User Profile Folder (thanks to the disorganized copy/paste job, I have the new Music folder within the User Profile Folder, while that User Profile Folder also has Username1 within it, leading me to a seemingly identical list of items but with all of my old Music folder) and my external drive.

Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Restore Point.
by QuietBlackCat / April 6, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

Windows Updates installed in the early morning before I made any changes to this computer. It created a Restore Point. Should I resort to that? But then I'll still have the problems with the iPod/iTunes connection where it won't charge and possibly won't sync (I have no evidence except the show I downloaded, but it did say it couldn't be played on the iPod, so that might be a problem.)

Collapse -
Restore points are for the OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore Point.

It should not affect our files. Let's find an article about that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

"What files are changed during a system restore?

System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer.
Note
Note

System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup."

Collapse -
About the huge size.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

While I defer to Apple on backup and restore. There is a known setting in iTunes where it copies content to it's "home" when this happens (your method.)

When folk copy folders like this, and iTunes starts up, it will dutifully copy in all that content and leave a copy where it was. You'll see anywhere from double the disk space to more when it completes.

Let me see if I can find that screen shot.

Sorry, just the article about the check box is at http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1476?viewlocale=en_US
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.