Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Audio & Video Software forum

Question

iTunes home sharing question and much more.

by jcc3801 / November 20, 2011 12:17 PM PST

My network hard drive died and while I'm waiting for another to arrive I decided to move all the titles, art etc to my Mac and use that to access my music instead of the PC I use now. I thought it would be easy but I haven't been able to move the info from one machine to the other. How do I do it?
A stranger part of this whole thing is that I am able to access all my music through home sharing with the PC but it can't find the songs on its own drive, most likely because it's still looking for the Nethd I think this means I only copied the music instead of moving it permanently. I tried and wasn't able to drag any songs from the shared library to my desktop or anywhere else.
My Mac is one of those old Whitebooks so it doesn't have enough memory to store my thousands of songs or I would find a way to do that.
Sorry I'm not more familiar with the lingo but hopefully I make enough sense for someone to solve the mystery.
Thanks

Discussion is locked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Where were you moving the music from
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 10:59 PM PST

I thought it was on the network hard drive, which you say is dead, but then you say you were moving it to your Mac.

Collapse -
Thanks for responding-I admit my questions are confusing-
by jcc3801 / November 21, 2011 2:21 AM PST

Hi--

I'll try breaking it down for both if us.

1/ My music is stored on a network drive.

2/ The song info, art etc---Is it called metadata?--is currently stored on my girlfriend's PC.

3/ The network drive died and the PC can't find any of the songs. Those little icons appear next to any song I click on.

4/ While I am waiting for a new nethd to arrive I decided to transfer the metadata (song titles-art-etc) onto my Mac and use that to "control" iTUNES from now on instead of hogging all the memory on her laptop.

5/ I turned on our Shared Music feature and tapped into the PCs library hoping I could just move the metadata from the PC to my Mac.I couldn't.

6/ While doing this I discovered that my Mac was able to access and play all the music the PC can't find which leads me to believe that when I got the nethd I just copied all the music from the PC to to the nethd instead of deleting it from the PC altogether .Even though I was able to access the shared playlist I couldn't drag or import any songs into my Mac.

So to sum up.

-Is there a simple way to move the song info from the PC to the Mac right now or do I have to wait for a new drive?

Since iTunes stopped letting you back up your music to disk I am afraid to fool around with it too much. A friend said he can transfer the music from the dead drive to a new one but he doesn't use iTunes himself so he doesn't know about the other stuff.

Unfortunately my Mac is one of those extinct Whitebooks and it doesn't have enough memory to store my albums.

-Thanks for any assistance-I hope I haven't confused you more. I can take a 2nd shot at explaining my problems if necessary.--Don't give up on me yet!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!