HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

iTunes frustration!!

by crapaper / November 20, 2010 1:53 AM PST

I'm so completely frustrated with this piece of program. It's most likely because I just don't know how to use it properly, but it ain't making it easy for me anyways.

I bought my first ipod a few days back. This entire iTunes mess came as a surprise to me.

So what I've done is I've imported a buttload of albums to the music library, and for some very nice reason iTunes has decided to break solid albums in to 2-5 different duplicate albums, with different songs in them. So if I have 12 tracks, at worst I have 6 albums with the same name with 2 tracks in each.

What's even better is that I seem to be unable to freely move these tracks between albums. I seem also unable to create albums freely, put what ever songs I want in them and then smack a picture of what ever on it.

With normal, less fancy mp3 players I could just use normal resource management, create folders, name em, put what ever in them and smack a picture if I so wished. So why does not this piece of very expensive fancy tech let me do anything like that, but instead insists on trying to do everything automaticly and ******* it all up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes frustration!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes frustration!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
where's the edit button btw?!
by crapaper / November 20, 2010 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes frustration!!

Continuing the OP. Obviously the mess of albums relates badly in my ipod as the nice coverflow feature is just a one big mess with dozens of duplicate albums each with 1-2 songs in them.

Is there no way to shut this automatic **** down and organize everything manually? I checked out the resource management of the iPod itself, and I noticed someone had the very fine idea of ******* all that up too so that there is no logical folder structure and the songs are all scattered around with their names changed...

Collapse -
See those asterisks in your post?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 5:40 AM PST

They are the result of an automatic "Potty mouth" censor.

Refrain from the profane and you'll get answers faster.

iTunes will organize your tracks and will arrange them nicely for you. Much of what you see depends on what view you are using in the library.
The Library view has a number of columns which can be used to organize your tracks by any number of means.

To get music onto your iPod, and I would suggest that you do not use the "Sync Automatically" feature, you must have the tracks in a playlist or two.
You will find the manual sync option when you click on the iPod in the left sidebar of iTunes. All sorts of information is contained in the tabs that appear in the main window when select the iPod.

Create a playlist and pull in the tracks that you want.
Then before you manually sync the iPod, set the preferences to only put certain playlists on to the iPod. Then sync.

iTunes creates a database of all the tracks that you import into it and it really does not matter how they are organized internally. That problem is between iTunes and its database.
All you are concerned with is that you can see your tracks and can organize them into playlists in any order that you wish.

To have duplicate albums at this stage of the game means that you imported duplicates. iTunes does not generate copies of tracks unless specifically asked to.

P

Collapse -
sigh
by crapaper / November 20, 2010 9:05 AM PST

syncing I know, playlists I know.

The problems are these: iTunes automatically messing up albums -> a mess in the coverflow of the iPod.

And there are no duplicate tracks. I have double and triple checked. There is for instance, this one Album called Eye to Eye. It has 12 tracks.

When imported in to iTunes, it lists 9 of the 12 tracks in one album called Eye to Eye, and 3 of the 12 in to a seperate album, also called Eye to Eye with the exact same details. One solid album gets broken apart and there are no duplicate tracks.

This is highly annoying when synced to my iPod, because the coverflow shows the albums, and I have the same albums 2-6 times at worst showing there.

Unless there is a way to manually manage albums, or change the coverflow to show only playlists, then I don't see how this system is anyway useful.

Collapse -
On the three of 12 in the separate album
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: sigh

select one of the three, right click and select Info.

See if there is anything there that you can change to make it go to the right album.

Ignore Coverflow for the moment.

P

Collapse -
Aha!
by crapaper / November 21, 2010 1:19 AM PST

Now I'm starting to get the hang of it. Like you said, info screen has that organize label or what ever it's in english.

The difference between the Eye to Eyes, was that the three songs had the album name with a space after the name. Would have never thought of that unless you had pointed out to check around there.

Finally I can manage this, but the UI is kinda painful. Anyway, the problem was what I initially suspected, me not knowing how to use it properly. Thanks for pointing me out in to the right direction.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 21, 2010 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Aha!

You will soon find that you get the hang of it.

P

Collapse -
how do u sort compilations tho?
by freddyply / May 31, 2012 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Aha!

this forum has helped me sort a few of my albums out (as i had the same problem) but i still have the problem of compilation albums (e.g MINISTRY OF SOUND etc) seperating into countless albums containing just one track each.

Collapse -
"This track is part of a compilation"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 31, 2012 10:01 PM PDT

In the info section of the track.

Sort that out and all the tracks should go into the same album

Starting a new thread would be the better way to ask this question. The original thread is over 2 years old.

Let us know if it works for you

P

Collapse -
itunes is an absolutely botched job
by utayara / June 3, 2012 7:45 AM PDT

I am documenting all the flaws in order to launch a twitter, facebook legal campaign against such a time waster.

Collapse -
Nobody obliges you to use it.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 3, 2012 7:55 AM PDT

So why care if it doesn't suit you?

Moreover, it isn't illegal to write a bad program and give it away for free. So any legal campaign is absolutely chanceless.

Kees

Collapse -
Your choice. Why use it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2012 1:19 PM PDT

And imagine if you put your effort into making it's replacement!

Collapse -
you are an optimist
by utayara / June 3, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

or you have too much time on your hand. Or you have a magic wand. itunes creates a lot of chaos and does not even always work, stops working, stops syncing, does not import at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.