PC Applications forum

General discussion

itunes access error

by mdenny88 / November 16, 2004 6:40 AM PST

I am trying to install itunes on my pc running winXP when I get this at the end of installation,
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.cdda\OpenWithList\iTunes.exe"
It says that I need to have suffcient access to that key. Do I have to make sure that I have permission to access it somewhere in regedit? I just can't seem to get it working. Any ideas guys?
Thanks for the help, tell me if you need any details.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: itunes access error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: itunes access error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
installing itunes
by jb1223 / December 25, 2004 9:35 PM PST
In reply to: itunes access error

I am having the same problem. I tried logging in as Administrator also and that did not help. Did you get any resolution to your problem?

John

Collapse -
installing itunes
by Big'g' / December 28, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: installing itunes
Collapse -
iTunes install error 1406 on Windows XP Home
by cptmjr02 / December 28, 2004 2:39 PM PST

After trying the fixes that the Apple website suggested, with no luck, I found a discussion forum with a solution that worked for me. Apparently, this solution was posted on CNET by mradamfox in June. A description of the install problem and the solution are posted in an Apple discussion forum at this link: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@652.J8imacCtGF3.2@.68a1ff56/4
I changed the permission settings in the "OpenWithList" and "OpenWithProgids" folders as outlined in the solution posted by Ozzie Charles. This solved the problem, and iTunes installed fine after that. I hope this helps!

Collapse -
no .cdda
by Big'g' / December 29, 2004 1:08 AM PST

Sorry, unless I am missing something this will not help as I DON'T have .cdda under the heading classes, so I am unable to try this solution.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hint. You create it if missing!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: no .cdda
Collapse -
Procedure is no longer posted
by msmichael3 / December 30, 2005 12:34 AM PST
Collapse -
Bob & cptmjr02 YOU ARE BOTH STARS *THANK YOU* SO MUCH
by Big'g' / December 29, 2004 5:40 AM PST

That has got it installed at last.
Thank you so much for all your patience and help it has been outstanding.
There is no way I would have managed to get it installed without you both.

All the very best
Graham

Collapse -
Payment due!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 6:36 AM PST

Help two others through the swamp.

Cheers to sorting it out!

Bob

Collapse -
Congratulations on your success!
by cptmjr02 / December 29, 2004 7:40 AM PST

Thanks for sharing the good news! You just made my day!

Collapse -
iTunes Installation Error 1406
by vwaller / January 8, 2005 5:51 AM PST

I have read the current threads on this issue but but my problem remains. I get Error 1406 "Could not write value to key/ Software/ Classes/.cdda/ OpenWithList/iTunes.exe Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact support personnel".

I am logged on with adminstrator priveleges. When I go to the .cdda key using regedit I cannot open the key. When I select this key I get "Cannot open .CDDA. Error while opening key." I cannot delete this key either. Does this suggest a corrupted registry and if so, do I need to reinstall my OS or is there a less intrusive fix?

Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Didn't I write to use REGEDT32 to set permissions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2005 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Just an FYI.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2004 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: itunes access error

REGEDT32 is used to change the permissions to said key.

Try it.

Bob

Collapse -
REGEDT32
by Big'g' / December 28, 2004 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Just an FYI.

Hi Bob

Sorry a bit to technical for me there.
What is REGEDT32 (I have looked at microsoft page and that talks gobildygook)and how do I change it on XP Home.
Will it make any other changes if I alter it.

Thanks
Graham

Collapse -
Yes, it can be spooky.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2004 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: REGEDT32
Collapse -
Re - yes it can be spooky
by Big'g' / December 28, 2004 6:01 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, it can be spooky.

Thanks bob.
Unfortunatly under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE the only folders are HARDWARE, SAM (security), SOFTWARE & SYSTEM, do you think that because I am running XP home that there is no SECURITY / PERMISSIONS folder.
There is also no administrator when you go in to admin tools in control panel.

Thanks again for your help
Graham

Collapse -
There is an Administrator in the Home version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2004 10:01 PM PST

Sadly the OS is more complex that people like.

1. Administrator logon shows when you boot SAFE MODE.
2. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm shows a few methods to hide/unhide this from the normal screen.

Read the new link above about the issue too.

Bob

Collapse -
Found Administrator
by Big'g' / December 29, 2004 12:27 AM PST

Hi bob, thanks for your continued help.
I have verified that the account used are set up as Administrator accounts, so the instillation problems are not due to that.
As before the error is still
'Error 1406. Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\.cdda\OpenWithList\iTunes.exe. Verify that you sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel'
As I have no .cdda file in the software/classes do you think this will be the problem. How would I install / restore .cdda

Thanks again
Graham

Collapse -
Re: Found Administrator for Error 1406
by cptmjr02 / December 29, 2004 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Found Administrator

Many people are having the same problem with error 1406. The solution listed below worked for me. Try the following fix exactly as it is outlined:

Start Menu -> Run. Type in "regedit" (this takes you to the registry Editor)
Find the heading HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on it.
Find the heading SOFTWARE inside it. CLick on it.
Find the heading Classes. Click on it
Find the heading .cdda. Click
Find the heading OpenWithList. click

Right click on "OpenWithList" folder. Select Permissions. Select Add Button. Select the advanced button. Select "Find Now" button.
The "Find Now" button should list all of the users, Select the "everyone" user. Hit OK. This closes this dialog. Hit OK in the dialog box now on top. This closes this dialog.

On the Permissions for openwithList box now on top select "allow" checkbox in the "full control" row & hit OK.

Do the exact same thing for the OpenWithProgids folder. Close regedit and try the install again.

Collapse -
Error 1406, is no more... HAHAHA, we win
by Teymur / January 11, 2005 6:14 PM PST

WOWOWOW... dude you are the freakin man!!! Holy, wow, outstanding, great job, awesome work.. YOU ARE THE MAN..BOWDOWN, BOWDOWN. I was poking around with this damn itunes 1406 error nonsense for hours trying to figure out what the hell is wrong. But you came through in the clutch. I followed ur instructions, and then finally installed itunes. I think some1 else in this thread gave the same instructions as you, so major props to every1 who helped out. Whew what a relief. I was moments away from punching a hole in my computer cuz its been pissin me off all week. But I am relaxed now. WOWOW u have no idea how relieved I am. I have mad respect for people who know *** they doin when it comes down to computers and **** like this. Who ever calls u a computer nerd, tell them to suck a fat one... You people rule... Goodnight, damn finally, HAHAH, wow. K thx bye

Collapse -
Thanks for the Kudos, Teymur
by cptmjr02 / January 13, 2005 4:10 AM PST

It's all about helping each other. Thanks for letting us know it worked, so others will know this works.

Collapse -
Additional kudos...
by centaurtech / July 6, 2005 12:20 PM PDT

Thank you very much!

It is an awsome experience to search and actually get a fix from the net these days that doesn't say... "sign up to get the answer".

Truly appreciated.

Collapse -
Did you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Found Administrator

Read the response
"iTunes install error 1406 on Windows XP Home" ... above? A more detailed explanation of how to use REGEDT32 to alter key permissions or even create the key is noted.

It appears I was correct about this, but have not supplied any step by step instructions.

Bob

Collapse -
No .cdda in heading classes
by Big'g' / December 29, 2004 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Did you...

Sorry unless I am missing something this will not help as I DON'T have .cdda under the heading classes, so I am unable to try this solution, how can I install it?
Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Then you create them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 1:47 AM PST
Collapse -
HINT HINT HELP
by Big'g' / December 29, 2004 2:24 AM PST

Thanks Bob.

A bit to cryptic for this novice.
A further hint required, do you think I would be on the right track if I was to do the following -

1) Run REGEDT32
2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3) Click on software
4) Click and highlight Classes
5) Click on new
6) Click on KEY (is this the correct one ?)
7) Rename new box to .cdda

Is this correct or am I way off the mark ?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Keys and values.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: HINT HINT HELP

Yes. In the left pane you create and name keys. In the right pane you can create key values. It's much like how DIRECTORIES and FILES work...

Sort of.

I'm beginning to suspect this is a side effect of either an OEM install of the OS or a registry cleaner.

Bob

Collapse -
Key Values
by Big'g' / December 29, 2004 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Keys and values.

We are getting there.
I have created the .cdda there are no values set for it though, will I have to set them manually, if so to what?

Collapse -
Set the permissions to the key as noted and try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Key Values

Much like a missing directory, this may be all that's needed.

Bob

Collapse -
iTunes .cdda file
by cptmjr02 / December 29, 2004 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: HINT HINT HELP

When trying to install iTunes, are you getting this exact message: "Error 1406. Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\.cdda\OpenWithList\iTunes.exe. Verify that you sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."?

With this message, the beginning part of the install for iTunes should have successfully created the folder ".cdda" in your registry before this error appears. It just can't finish the install because of an error in permission settings in the ".cdda" folder. Even when the install fails, it should leave this folder in your registry.

Try this:
Click on Start, Run, type in "regedit"
Click once on and highlight "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
Then go to the menu at the top and click on Edit, Find Next, make sure check marks are in the boxes for "Keys, Values, and Data", and in the text box type: .cdda
Click on the button "Find Next"
If you have the folder, it will be highlighted in the left frame.

Collapse -
cptmjr02
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2004 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes .cdda file

What if .cdda doesn't exist?

The instructions work for the permission issue, but not for the missing key issue.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.