The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

iTunes 8 nuked my pc--Arr the horror!!!!!

by tjt620 / September 9, 2008 11:55 PM PDT

I was so happy to see all the new features in iTunes 8, and loving the possiblity of HD download. Loving the look of the new nanos and installed iTunes 8 on my Vista PC at home looked like everything was a okay and then restarted....dead pc. Tried running system restore...no go. Tried to do a startup repair...no go. After much crying and hair pulling (Arrrh!), I'm doing a reintsall of OS since I need to get back up and running. Why have your cursed me so STEVE!!!!!!!!! Was wondering if anyone else has had any issuse

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes 8 nuked my pc--Arr the horror!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes 8 nuked my pc--Arr the horror!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

I replied to you and it appears you are content to rant but not ready to try to pull the machine back from the edge. So be it.

Collapse -
Oh SO Sorry!!!
by tjt620 / September 10, 2008 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Fine.

I thought that by post in different threads I would be more likely to find a solution since someone might visit one area of the site and never visit another...so sorry that my problems maybe seen as a rant, so sorry that my search for help is an issue. Before I have to wipe my system I would like to find as many solution as I possible could before I take that final step. SO VERY SORRY!

Collapse -
Okay , I really need some help and sorry about rant.
by tjt620 / September 10, 2008 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh SO Sorry!!!

Okay that was a tad ranting, before I reinstall my OS and lose countless files, like digital picture of my brother who was killed in a car wreck... I was wondering if anyone knew of a possible non-destructive solution? It was suggested that it to logitech drivers and that maybe a possible cause but what i see in the Apple forums is Blue screens of Death or crashes when the ipod is plugged in or when iTunes is started...I'm in a booting loop...can see my drives in Bios, but can not boot or enter safe mode or command prompt and when I try to do a system restore it claims not to see the drive if anyone have any ideas I would be glad of the help.

Collapse -
Let me repeat ...
by Kees Bakker / September 10, 2008 1:15 AM PDT

my reply in the MP3-player forum:

"So it seems your hard drive has died. Better buy a new one to install Vista on.

Getting your pictures off the old one might be expensive. That's why most people back up files they don't want to lose (like burning them to a DVD). People who don't occasionally have to chose between accepting the loss or paying the recovery company."

By the way, the mp3-player forum is about those small mp3-players (like the zune and the ipod and the creatives). And BOLL is more about the latest technology and gadges, and not meant for tech help. So your choice of forums and your choice of language aren't very good. Let's hope your choice of a solution is better.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Well is there anway to delete the other threads
by tjt620 / September 10, 2008 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me repeat ...

Is there anyway to delete the threads in the other forums, since you think the Vista one is the one I should stay with....and as for the picture I've only had the since labor day weekend since the files were imported from someone elses who lives out of state, and were added since my last back-up.

Collapse -
Good to read ...
by Kees Bakker / September 10, 2008 7:25 AM PDT

you've got a backup of most files. And those pictures you got from somebody else maybe he still has, so you can get a new copy?

Best of luck.

Kees

Collapse -
You Do Know It's Possible...
by PressAnyKey / September 10, 2008 10:08 PM PDT

...to install a new copy of Windows without nuking the entire drive right? Vista will even gather up you old program and document/picture files for safe keeping.

Collapse -
hell yes, there is a solution
by Papa Chango / September 11, 2008 1:41 PM PDT

> Okay that was a tad ranting, before I reinstall my OS and lose
> countless files, like digital picture of my brother who was killed > in a car wreck... I was wondering if anyone knew of a possible
> non-destructive solution

Go download one of the small Linux distros like Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux which are bout 70 to 120 megs and that are popular as recovery CD's or even one of the full version distros that has a Live CD option. Put the CD in, it boots into Linux virtually, it will then read your HD and you can copy your info to a USB drive.
At worst, I've had to remove a HD and put it into my PC or a USB external HD enclosure I have. I must do this about once a month for firends. I even keep a cd of PCLinuxOS in my car and on every USB stick I have for when people freak out taht they lost everything they ever had.
Every Windows user should keep a Linux distro just for this very reason.

Collapse -
Thank you everyone!!!!
by tjt620 / September 11, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

I was able to pull the pictures of with the linux trick, there was some video files it wouldn't let me transfer that I had saved from my BlackJack phone and some of other files were corrupted but nothing I couldn't live without. Tried all the other suggestion to fix the pc and it look like it is going to be a restore, but thank you to everyone for your help.

Collapse -
Use a Boot Disk
by Renegade Knight / September 12, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

The problem is booting from your drive. Use a boot CD or stick the drive in another machine as a second hard drive. You can then surf to your data and pull it off.

Also safe mode often works for booting once you can break into the bluescreen/reboot cycle and tell it to boot into safe mode. BTDT.

Collapse -
iTunes 8 nuked my pc--Arr the horror!!!!!
by wizkids32 / September 10, 2008 7:18 AM PDT

Sorry to hear that I think that Apple will put out a patch soon. Also if you do a clean install and get rid of the earlier then it will work. I found this out on Loaded.

Collapse -
see if that work
by funkmaster2 / September 10, 2008 3:18 PM PDT

i had the same problem. after i day of hair pulling went to apple forum and found help. i unplug my printer and then plug my iphone in it work no BSOD. try this hope that work.

Collapse -
see if that help
by funkmaster2 / September 10, 2008 3:27 PM PDT
In reply to: see if that work
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?