Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

iTunes 8 killed my pc..oh the horror!!!!

I was so happy to see all the new features in iTunes 8, and loving the possiblity of HD download. Loving the look of the new nanos and installed iTunes 8 on my Vista PC at home looked like everything was a okay and then restarted....dead pc. Tried running system restore...no go. Tried to do a startup repair...no go. After much crying and hair pulling (Arrrh!), I'm doing a reintsall of OS since I need to get back up and running. Why have your cursed me so STEVE!!!!!!!!! Was wondering if anyone else has had any issues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes 8 killed my pc..oh the horror!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes 8 killed my pc..oh the horror!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OK before I reinstall my OS is there anything I can do ?

In reply to: iTunes 8 killed my pc..oh the horror!!!!

Okay that was a tad ranting, before I reinstall my OS and lose countless files like digital picture of my brother who was killed in a car wreck... I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution? It was suggested that it to logitech drivers and that maybe a possible cause but what i see in the Apple forums is Blue screens of Death or crashes when the ipod is plugged in or when iTunes is started...I'm in a booting loop...can see my drives in Bios, but can not boot or enter safe mode or command prompt and when I try to do a system restore it claims not to see the drive if anyone have any ideas I would be glad of the help.

Collapse -
So it seems ...

In reply to: OK before I reinstall my OS is there anything I can do ?

your hard drive has died. Better buy a new one to install Vista on.

Getting your pictures off the old one might be expensive. That's why most people back up files they don't want to lose (like burning them to a DVD). People who don't occasionally have to chose between accepting the loss or paying the recovery company.

Kees

Collapse -
Me too!!

Oh my God. First off, tjt620, I see it's been a while, but I hope you didn't do anything drastic with your drive, as I think the problem lies elsewhere. I just installed itunes and had the same experience. It asked for a restart, I complied, and lights out. No splash screen, nothing, but the computer's definitely on. I freak out for a minute, then decide to try plugging into the onboard display port. Presto! Somehow my machine had failed to find my 3d party video card (system info below). Device manager failed to find it as well. Here's the thing. I turned off the machine, pulled the 3d party card to clean the contacts and get its info, put everything back together and...nothing from either the onboard or the 3d party cards. The machine seems to be starting up, accessing the CD drive, etc., but no video whatsoever. What the hell? I'm really freaking now. Is this just a coincidence or did itunes somehow just annihilate the entire video end of my system? Please, anybody weigh in on this one, I'm totally stumped. By the way, during the brief period I had video, I checked and itunes was right there in my program menu, all highlighted and ready to go. Great.

XP media Center Edition 2005
SP2
HP Pavilion A1310N
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.19 Ghz
2 Gigs RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series (onboard)
VisionTek x1300 256mb (3d party)

Collapse -
Same problem...Dell inspiron

In reply to: Me too!!

I have run into the same problem. Had just installed itunes 8. Was pluggin along checking out the new features. As soon as i activated the visualizer the screen went blank and my system was down. I have been working on this problem for several days now. Here is what i have done. First I was getting a NV4_disp error. Googled that and found some info that didnt help much in my case. I have updated bios, updated chipset, un-installed and re-installed the NVidia software at leaste three time and have spent several days looking for something to update that will fix the problem. Too no avail of course. The Dell site is next to worthless for any real data. The NVidia site only privides the driver and sends me back to dell. I resorted to tearing the comp apart in hopes that pulling the bios battery may jog some electrons. This did no good and was not worth the risk. It seems that at one point the bios reload helped even if it was the same ver. but then it was back to the same ol thing. I even un-installed alot of programs and downloaded some reg clean software hopeing that a little house cleaning may help. It didnt. What i think happend is that when itunes 8 activated the vizualization it scrambled my video driver/controler relationship. Now my system says they are non compatable even though they have been working flawlessly for the past 20 months. Curse you apple!!! someone help please....and to think i only had itunes so i could jog with some music and track my runs via nike+. By the way that system work great when im not stuck to my comp. trying to fix it.

Collapse -
Do you see a bios prompt or any kind of menu right when you

In reply to: Me too!!

Start?

If you can't or did try the F2 or F10 keyboard key or del key just after after the reboot. On some system it only .5 sec that it will pickup the del key or any other combinaison.

If you don't even see the onboard video card working on the bios level good chance that your video card is fry or your monitor but I doubt it but never know.

Accumulation of dust inside the PC for a long period of time w/o clean up could lead to premature degradation of the pc component I have not been lucky with HP/AMD pc computer in the past, I found they tend to combine the cheapeast part together and tend to fail prematuraly, mind you it is the same on the ently level for the other brand names.

here the possibility.

Faulty memory;
Faulty power supply;
Faulty onboard video;
Faulty Monitor;
Faulty Hard Drive;

Corrupt video drivers due to the installation of iTunes maybe but if you don't see your Bios Post more likely the video card itself and or monitor or cable or power supply that is now faulty.

Do you have surge protector power bar/UPS combo of that kind?

Collapse -
Did have lint buildup on cooling fins to the video card

In reply to: Do you see a bios prompt or any kind of menu right when you

I did have some buildup cleaning was the first thing i did. I have a new video card on the way and will see if that helps. I will post back with an update.

Collapse -
Similar Issue

I installed iTunes 8.1 and after the requested reboot, the system would not start. There was no video and I heard beep codes which seem to indicate a corrupt BIOS. I was also running Windows Vista (Ultimate). Additional information: 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200 CPU, Onboard video disabled, GeForce 6800 GT PCI-X video card.

I didn't have a VGA cable at home, so I haven't been able to connect the display to the onboard VGA port to see what/if is displayed there. On the PCI-X DVI port, there is no video signal at all.

I've seen two or three references to systems having this type of problem after installing iTunes 8.1.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
TM

Collapse -
iTunes killed my Dell Precision Workstation 470 - R.I.P.

In reply to: Similar Issue

System: Windows XP Pro

I installed iTunes, things worked fine (although Windows was noticeably slower). On one startup, I plugged the iPod Touch into the USB panel on the front of the machine and the BIOS never completed loading. It got to 80% progress bar on the Dell splash screen and froze, never to get that far again.

My first call to Dell Support incorrectly identified the problem as a faulty Front I/O panel inside the box. (That is the panel that connects the power button to the motherboard, so it couldn't just be disconnected.) I replaced that part, but to no avail.

Dell Gold Support was helpful in determining that the actual light and beep codes indicated faulty RAM, which wasn't the case either. Replacing the RAM did nothing. Kudos to Dell for still supporting a 6 year old, out-of-warranty PC.

Another call to Dell Gold Support (guaranteed domestic U.S. English speaking support btw!) helped determine that the motherboard was toast and it would be just under $400 to replace. The new netbooks cost less than that and have more power, so a new motherboard was out of the question.

Either way, my old Dell Workstation is dead and not worth the parts anymore, thanks to iTunes, Apple and the iPod Touch.

Fortunately, I was able to install my HDD into another computer and still access my data, even if I had to reinstall all my software again, with the exception of Apple software: iTunes and QuickTime.

Curse you Apple. I need your address now so I can invoice for my wasted time.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.