Windows Vista forum

General discussion

iTunes 8....ARR the Horror!!!!!!!

I was so happy to see all the new features in iTunes 8, and loving the possiblity of HD download. Loving the look of the new nanos and installed iTunes 8 on my Vista PC at home looked like everything was a okay and then restarted....dead pc. Tried running system restore...no go. Tried to do a startup repair...no go. After much crying and hair pulling (Arrrh!), I'm doing a reintsall of OS since I need to get back up and running. Why have your cursed me so STEVE!!!!!!!!! Was wondering if anyone else has had any issuse

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes 8....ARR the Horror!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes 8....ARR the Horror!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me about your Logitech stuff?

In reply to: iTunes 8....ARR the Horror!!!!!!!

Collapse -
So for the rant, but I really do need help...Please?

In reply to: Tell me about your Logitech stuff?

Okay that was a tad ranting, before I reinstall my OS and lose countless files like digital picture of my brother who was killed in a car wreck.(and not included on my back-ups) I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution? It was suggested that it's the logitech drivers and that maybe a possible cause since I do have a webcam, but from what I see in the Apple forums is Blue screens of Death or crashes when the ipod is plugged in or when iTunes is started...I'm in a booting loop...can see my drives in Bios, but can not boot or enter safe mode or command prompt and when I try to do a system restore it claims not to see the drive so all of the suggested fixes are not workable for my situation. If anyone have any ideas I would be glad of the help.

Collapse -
Recovery can be "advanced."

In reply to: So for the rant, but I really do need help...Please?

"I try to do a system restore it claims not to see the drive so all of the suggested fixes are not workable for my situation. If anyone have any ideas I would be glad of the help."

Here's the one exit that saves files we didn't backup. Take ANY current Linux CD, boot it and copy the files out to networks, USB hard disks, USB memory sticks, etc.

Now back to your issue. Your post was half rant, half it failed without the needed details to begin offering possible repairs. Maybe I missed what Vista DVDs you have or none or just restore DVDs. A make and model too would help so we know what we have to work with.

In closing the age old solution was to pull the hard disk, stick in a new drive (cheap today!) install the os and get the files off the old drive later.

I know the solution. I've fixed such some thousand times but then again I was at the keyboard, had the full retail OS CD/DVD to work with plus other machines to put the drive on to do some file renaming, etc. In forums its not always possible to fix such a crash but a light post assures we can't start.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.

In reply to: Recovery can be "advanced."

Always start with everything USB unplugged. No CD/DVDs in the drives, etc. etc. etc. We even can disable sound cards, ethernet, USB, Firewire ports in the BIOS to slim down the boot and avoid a crash. This may be beyond some users so I apologize if it seems advanced but it is.
Bob

Collapse -
More info ....on the pc

In reply to: PS.

I'm running 32-bit Vista Home premium, on a Gateway FX gaming machine. The only disc I have are the OEM recovery and driver disc that came with it. I had unplugged all the usb devices, but I'll try the disabling the other items in the bios as well to see if it'll help. And the linux solution if switching the bios doesn't work. As for replacing the hard drive I live in a fairly small town so other than Wal-mart, Target or Radio Shack all other tech shopping is online so I rather that be a last resort. I back fairly regularly so I have most of my files but I had added thing over the Labor Day weekend that aren't backed-up like the picture, since I got them from someone who was down for the holidays and lives out of state. I'll try the solution when I get home today. Also, thank you for the suggestion...it is just so frustrating how dependent we are to our technology.

Collapse -
itunes8 vista BSOD

In reply to: Tell me about your Logitech stuff?

i had the same problem with my itunes . after 1day off anger and hair pulling wnet to apple forum and found some help. i unplug my printer then plug my iphone in and it sync fine then i plug my printer back in know both working good. i have vista32bit gateway5404 pc. hope that help.

Collapse -
No Apple on my PC

Boy was I a Fool. I let Apple I-tunes look at my music library and add tags from the internet if needed so that I could listen to my music as well as the podcasts that I-tunes handles so well. BAD MOVE! The next time that I looked at my library which used to have 25k plus songs in it, Title count was down to 17k. Every song that remained had been renamed and stuck into an Artist/Album folder. Where the hell does Steve Jobs come off renaming or deleting MY MUSIC with out ever asking permission? Most of the songs that I-tunes deleted were songs ripped from CDs that I have purchased. Buying a CD not good enough Steve? I-Tunes can't co-exist with music not bought from it's online store? Many others were rare hard to find cuts from old vinyl that, unless I can find the archive DVD are lost to me forever. No Apple Products on my PC. Jobs can go to HELL>

Collapse -
As the seasoned PC user you are.

In reply to: No Apple on my PC

You restored from backup after this debacle. For me the same thing happened with WMP 11. It began moving and renaming on its own too. So no WMP 11. Seems like Linux may be the future after all.
Bob

Collapse -
library organization

In reply to: As the seasoned PC user you are.

Nex time read when you are installing the installer gives you the choice to leave the library as it is or reorganize and rename., it's also onthe preferences. WMP11 does the same thing in it's options you can choose wheter it moves the music or just rename it from the id3 tags. Personally i use itunes for it's podcast and ipod syn but i organize my music with wmp11 cause it's metadata service is free and billy G doesn't ask for my credit card, don't like the idea of giving it to steve just to download song names and stuff.

Collapse -
I blame this on my glasses.

In reply to: library organization

I learned my lesson. Read all the text and don't click OK...

Collapse -
Apple has a fix

Unfortunately the fix involves using Control Panel|Programs & Features to uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support, then uninstall iTunes. Then go to Apple.com and re-install iTunes 8 USING THE LINK THERE. Do NOT use the installer you may have downloaded to your system earlier.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2280

Collapse -
What if it happened the other way round?

In reply to: Apple has a fix

I'm just wondering what the fall-out would be like if a piece of ported MS software did similar damage to a Mac?
Lawers and add men would be rubbing their hands in glee.

It also begs the "why?" question - why on earth would you even contemplate letting anything Apple flavoured anywhere near your PC in the first place? There are many, much better, alternatives to the iPod which don't need to install the spy-ware app of the century which iTunes seems to have become.

Ignore the hype and zone out the chants of the fan-boys - use your ears and find a music player which actually sounds good and lets you be in charge of how you manage your audio tracks (that rules out Sony too then!)

Collapse -
itunes 8 kills vista pc -

I foolishly attempted to upgrade itunes from 6 to 8 this morning Oct 26. that computer is sill down - will not boot, and like the previous post I will have to reinstall the manufacturers setup. So the changes Apple made in Itunes 8 did not fix the problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!