Audio & Video Software forum

Rant

iTunes 12 worst ever

When will Apple actually start to listen to the end user?

Itunes has always left a little to be desired but for the most part has been reasonably workable provided you don't want too much info out of it.

Having just, reluctantly, downloaded iTunes 12..........It seems that instead of fixing problems and making it better it has got worse. A lot worse

Still no return of the coverflow which millions of folk including me found actually useful.

Sidebar gone for good as well Sad

Yes I know there are work rounds but Really?

Support for audio books even worse than ever: Just managed to scramble nearly 2Tb of library and produce thousands of duplicates, Lost whole albums;missing artwork that exists; missing track info, etc,etc

It's even more clunky than ever with the payload on searches just ridiculous (jesus even a basic Access
database can handle things better than this!)

And to add to the misery it is now completely unstable crashing on a custom built media server that has given no trouble at all (never even been turned off for in excess of 2 yrs )
I dare not point it at my video libraries and
forget about asking it to stream to other machines.

The only reason I started using iTunes in the first place was because when it was first launched it was the nuts.

Time for a good alternative.

I'm running a windows 7 set up

Anyone any (sensible) suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iTunes 12 worst ever
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iTunes 12 worst ever
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So why not run an older version?

In reply to: iTunes 12 worst ever

And where is the backup copy for when the main library fails?

Collapse -
Of course I can run an older version but Why?

In reply to: So why not run an older version?

Of course I can use an older version but thats not the point is it? and WHY?
I have years invested in iTunes believing that it would get better so why go back to an older version? Is there nothing out there that will actually work?

As for the back up?

My media is stored on individual drives in a data store and they are frequently 'backed up' with full images.
The integrity of the data stored is as near perfect as possible.
There are no duplicates; no dead files and data is often more complete that iTunes is capable of displaying.

The fault is with iTunes
After a clean install, when pointed at the drives to create a new library oft it went and took over 6 hrs to complete its own library from the stored data.
When completed it had duplicated, sometimes triplicated, nearly every track
It reported that some tracks (nearly 5,000) where dead
It failed to list over 2,000 existing tracks
Failed to list correct information on some tracks
Couldn't handle the Audio Book files at all. Out of over 100 books it only listed 32, messed up track orders and info as well as duplicating and triplicating tracks. Didn't 'generise' them correctly and put them with music albums.
The xls is a complete mess
I could go on!

iTunes is essentially a GUI frontend over a database:-
A database that doesn't work with a GUI that is top heavy with limited tools that also doesn't work.
Surely there is a known decent alternative?

As for iTunes 12???? It's already been filed under B-1-N but the cost in time and frustration is huge
I will load it on a laptop and see if it can handle a smaller collection of data it may be fun to mess with it for a while and try to find out why Apple software geeks are messing with the end user so much.

The database I can handle ------- stick the whole lot on an SQL but developing a GUI for it is another matter Jesus I can search it faster with MS Access!

Collapse -
iTunes is for the masses.

In reply to: Of course I can run an older version but Why?

You want something else. When you want this but not that, you find yourself coding.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.