Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

its getting ugly

by Mark5019 / July 17, 2006 10:03 AM PDT

In the news this morning, from a cave somewhere in Pakistan, Taliban Minister of Migration, Mohammed Omar, warned the United States that if military action against Iraq continues, Taliban authorities will cut off America's supply of convenience store managers. And if this action does not yield sufficient results, cab drivers will be next, followed by Dell and AOL customer service reps , and Motel 6 managers.

It's getting ugly!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: its getting ugly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: its getting ugly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, oh thats not good........
by Rolway / July 17, 2006 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: its getting ugly

I suppose that means Doctors too. I've seen them wandering around the halls at night when I was incarcerated last year. Turbins on their heads. Some of the lady Doc's had that third eye on their forehead. Course I may have been sedated at the time. Who knows. Bad dreams maybe. Flash backs? Grin

George

Collapse -
Oh, Please, Please Please!
by Steven Haninger / July 17, 2006 10:18 AM PDT

Not that! Don't throw us in the briar patch! Devil

Collapse -
Does that mean that once again we will be
by Kiddpeat / July 17, 2006 11:36 AM PDT

able to understand tech support, and that tech support will actually know something other than the script?

Eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk! I've just adapted to the Musak!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How disgustingly racist, Mark.
by Dan McC / July 17, 2006 11:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
dan if it upset you let me be the first
by Mark5019 / July 18, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

to say good get over it
thats whats wrong with you pc crowd no sense of humor
most people have a good sense of humor
unfortuneatly you dont
must be a biotch to live with:)

Collapse -
Do you think that
by Dan McC / July 18, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

adding more hate and bigotry would help? That seems to be your position.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The ONLY "hate and bigotry" was in your post Dan.
by Edward ODaniel / July 18, 2006 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you think that
Collapse -
dan as others have pointed out geta grip
by Mark5019 / July 18, 2006 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you think that
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grow up, Mark.
by Dan McC / July 19, 2006 1:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don't throw stones in that glass house of yours.
by Edward ODaniel / July 19, 2006 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Grow up, Mark.
Collapse -
get over it develop a sense of humor
by Mark5019 / July 19, 2006 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Grow up, Mark.

shame that yours is bad or non existent lifes much better when you laugh dan try it

Collapse -
Mentioning Walmart Mark, reminds of
by Rolway / July 20, 2006 8:53 AM PDT

an oldie but goodie joke..]:)

I had a near death experience yesterday afternoon that has changed me forever. I went horseback riding. Everything was going fine until the horse starts bouncing out of control. I tried with all my might to hang on, but was thrown off. Just when things couldn't possibly get worse, my foot gets caught in the stirrups...

When this happened I fell head first to the ground. My head continued to bounce harder and harder as the horse did not stop or even slow down.

Just as I was giving up hope and losing consciousness, the Walmart Manager came out and unplugged it!

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) roflmao ty george
by Mark5019 / July 20, 2006 9:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
maybe you would feel more at ease
by jonah jones / July 18, 2006 3:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yep!
by Terry Browne / July 19, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

And that is how we create real dangerous racism. By joking about other people (due to their religous belief or color of the skin), it becomes something natural and all of a sudden it'll become reality! The weed has to be pulled up with the roots or it'll grow over your head. By then it is too late. But those people know that and it is systematically done. They have a common goal and they know how to get there. Hopefully the rest of us/US know how to stop them before it is too late! Get rid of it by the breakfast table has been my policy ever since my kids were small. I NEVER accepted any racist jokes and the result is very tolerant kids that have traveled a lot and made friends from al cultures and religions.

Collapse -
Do you ever watch any media....
by EdH / July 19, 2006 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep!

or listen to any comedians? By your broad definition EVERYTHING is racist. The joke merely makes use of the observable truth that certain immigrant groups commonly end up in certain jobs. Not "racist" at all.

Right after 9/11 there was a New Yorker cover that showed a dark skinned cab driver who had festooned his cab with American flags and had a very paranoid expression on his face. Was that dangerous racism?

The society probably has more ot fear form rampant Political Correctness than harmless jokes.

BTW. you often mention the Sopranos. Are you aware that the whole show is one big ethnic joke, if you want to view it that way?

Collapse -
Kind of like disparaging Jewish people.
by Kiddpeat / July 20, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep!

You wouldn't do that would you?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) right he wouldn't call them terrorists would he:(
by Mark5019 / July 20, 2006 8:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Repeat! (from about three years back...)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 17, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And still as funny:)
by Glenda / July 18, 2006 1:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not to mention ...
by Evie / July 18, 2006 3:21 AM PDT

... the UTTER AND TOTAL ABSURDITY of DK crying "repeat" over something THREE years old.

DK you need to seek help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What's the big deal??
by duckman / July 19, 2006 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Not to mention ...
Collapse -
Back in the older days of SE ...
by Evie / July 19, 2006 10:24 PM PDT

... there were joke contest days: BJM (blonde joke Monday), WJW (worst joke Wednesday) and maybe some more. People would vote for the best joke. There was no prize per se. By the time I came to SE in late summer 2000, the joke contests were still alive but apparently not as popular in terms of the voting, etc. I think it is because a lot of the newer members (myself included) didn't realize the tradition and when it fell off somewhat it was more difficult to catch on.

It was common to have a "REPEAT!!" NT posted to a joke that was repeated but usually that was for the "submissions" to the joke contests, and there was an about 1 or 2 year time period. Folks were cautioned to search to see if jokes were repeats ahead of time.

IAC, sometimes a big deal was made of calling out repeats, but DK was as susceptible to posting them himself as anyone else.

Telling Mark this was a repeat from several years ago when it wasn't even a WJW submission seems petty at best.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Still don't think it's a big deal
by duckman / July 20, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Customer service? Not a problem here.
by drpruner / July 19, 2006 2:52 AM PDT

All my reps have been from Ireland: Shannon, Moira, Patrick ...

... 'Course, they don't sound Irish ...

Collapse -
Yes, It is
by JP Bill / July 19, 2006 3:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
No words needed!
by Terry Browne / July 19, 2006 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, It is
Sad
Collapse -
i disagree
by jonah jones / July 19, 2006 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: No words needed!

iraqi women are being murdered for wearing sports gear....

iraqi men (coaches/trainers) are being murdered for doing their job.....

and all you can say is "no words needed"....

says a lot about you i think....

Collapse -
well put jonah
by Mark5019 / July 19, 2006 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: i disagree

what those 2 think my post is in relation to that makes little or no sense to me

Collapse -
so whats that have to do with a joke
by Mark5019 / July 19, 2006 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, It is

nothing per jp must be warped

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!