The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

its about drm and take a grain of salt when you read this

Drm can now be considered a bad word, those not to be spoken in good manner. Molly, Tom and Veronica have made clear of the cons in 2006. Back in December, they had guest speakers on the show; one of them brought a good point. In a medium where people can take an advantage of something and distribute it, you can trust maybe 10 people, maybe 20 that they would do the honorable thing, but how about thousands, maybe millions to do the same. Watermarking technology seems like a good idea, but the way I see it (although I don?t like it very much, but I have come to terms with) is that DRM is a way for multiple companies to make more profit out of the same media. For example: video game industries.

Video Game industries launch the same titles, sometimes even the same format, or they don?t bother to change anything when they make and distribute the same game for different consoles. Follow me in this analogy: You have been a playstation owner as long as you can remember. The games on the other systems are different but for most part, most games come for the other consoles are the same with maybe some small variation (to be able to adapt for the different way the controls are set up in each system).

Bottom line: Choose your poison...for example if you like apple products, then stick with iTunes drm (or playstation for that matter) and so on. This guarantees that apple will be getting back its revenue somehow, just like if you owned a PS and bought a game that is available on other systems. With your PS, you can?t do anything else with the PS game that you just bought other than play it on your PS. But what about those files with no drm attached to them, this is where gets tricky.

Having pure mp3 is does makes life easier if you get them from a site where the artists are getting the royalties they deserve. BUT, what if your computer of hard drive that the files are lost or stolen, and found and then the person who sees this will distribute them freely, giving the artist no royalties and it gets worse if they are watermarked. In this case, the files are being spread with your information and if they fall on the wrong hands, then you might be accused of distributing copyrighted content, and to prove that you have gotten your computer stolen or lost, or prove that you left your computer unattended while your coworker browsed through your collection had some fun copying files and then distributing them, even before you get back with your coffee. That?s going to be more fun to prove than the original scenario

In conclusion, I believe, that although I do not agree with it completely, DRM is a necessary evil at this point in technology because in part its not fair that I pay .99 a song while other people are helping to it for free, and I do pay it, because it?s the legal thing to do and makes me go to bed at night easier.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: its about drm and take a grain of salt when you read this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: its about drm and take a grain of salt when you read this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) nah

In reply to: its about drm and take a grain of salt when you read this

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: its about drm and take a grain of salt when you read this

I choose to buy my music because it's the right thing to do.

Collapse -
I buy my music too.

In reply to: I agree

but I won't buy it from a store or in a format that employs any kind of DRM. Because that would mean that I'm enabling the continued use of it as a restriction not only of consumers' rights, but also restricting the possibility of a free marketplace. Why do you *really* think Apple slaps their DRM on all those songs?? I'll tell you, it's only about 50% because the RIAA has required it. They don't fight back against the RIAA's requirements (which they could easily do given their massive online media market share) because they benefit from it MORE than the RIAA does. You think Apple *wants* to sell you vanilla mp3 files? no. They don't want you to have any more ability to play that song on a Zune than the RIAA wants you to be able to make a backup for your Windows Home Server (what a gimmick that is BTW.) By being deliberately incompatible with competing products, Apple's iTunes and other DRM-employing services (PlaysForSure) only serve to stifle the digital media market's ability to innovate technically and compete fairly (now I'm talking about mp3 players too.) We forget that this is the exact reason why Apple is being sued right now. And, honestly, the the current scenario of Apple's online music service/player integration is dangerously close to resembling the IE/WMP integration with Windows that has gotten MS successfully prosecuted in the US and Europe for anticompetitive practices. So, no, DRM is bad. Don't encourage it by buying it. And yes, if you buy a song from iTunes, your enouraging Apple to continue their anticompetitive ways. Buying DRM only tightens it's grip on you.

Buy a CD. Buy from eMusic.

Down with the Man!

Collapse -
I agree with you too but

In reply to: I buy my music too.

Ok I agree with the whole apple wants to restricts us, or Microsoft for that matter, all I am saying is that DRM is a necessary evil right now. (You don't get to play your xbox 360 games on the PS3 right, even though the game is the same and the cost is way different, but its locked down to the system, and both the company making the game and the system decide on the price of each plataform.) Why is it wrong for companies like apple and now Microsoft want to make money, I thought this was what Capitalism was about. Buying pure mp3's is awesome, but that would leave the door open for distribution thats unaccounted for ( see my previous post for this issue).
I dont have time to go to the store and pick up a cd because between the commute to and from school/work and a little bit of personal life...I dont have time to spend looking for a parking spot in any kind of store so anything that I can buy/download off the web is the best solution for me.

All I am saying is that maybe DRM is not that bad, or its something that we are looking at the wrong way. We all want things like drm free music but look back and back in the early 90's we didn't even have internet, heck when it got to PR it was 1997 and those where just static pages and irc chat rooms and now 10 years later we are complaining that although we have gotten this far, we still want more.
By no means I am considered as a settler (I have plenty of profs who would tell you otherwise) but sometimes you have to put yourself in the other peoples shoes

Collapse -
nay..I say.

In reply to: I agree with you too but

This comparison that keeps coming up between a digital music service and console video games doesn't work. The reason it doesn't work is because anyone who gets upset that they can't play their xbox game on their playstation has to also be upset that they can't drive their train on the highway. They're two forms that, while essentially contain the same content, are incompatible for engineering reasons. The xbox and ps3 are two vastly different hardware systems (like a ppc apple and a pc) that are incompatible, not for DRM reasons, but for technical reasons. On the other hand, online music services a la iTunes deliberately take a standard format audio file (in this case aac) and add extra bits to it to make it incompatible with competing services/devices. This is not capitalism. There's nothing about pure capitalism that guarantees you'll get a return on your investment. This is more like monopolistic capitalism. This method of business violates the integrity of the whole business ecosystem. Video game studios don't put DRM on their games because they're worried about you playing them on a competing console, their afraid of duplication for their own console.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.