General discussion

iTOUCH4 ~ need to uninstall Itunes & Email

Hi all ~
I purchased a 4th gen. ipod touch two days ago and uploaded my Itunes library and set up my gmail account (which took 7 tries because of the touch pad--I kept making errors). I have decided that at my age, this is too much technology for me and my old fingers can't manipulate the apps. I want to return it to Costco but need to uninstall my 'stuff' ... I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Can anyone out there give me some simple steps to follow? I will be most appreciative.

Many thanks, grammy_annie

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: iTOUCH4 ~ need to uninstall Itunes & Email
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: iTOUCH4 ~ need to uninstall Itunes & Email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a thought.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1927444/how_to_securely_erase_an_ipod_touch.html

"
1. Fully charge the iPod Touch. Alternately, keep it connected to a power source while you're doing these steps. It's important to keep the iPod Touch charged during data operations, as otherwise you may have to re-start this process or you might inadvertently damage the filesystem of your iPod Touch's flash memory, so have a USB cord handy and make sure that your iPod Touch is charged for at least 3-4 hours of continuous use (don't worry, your part of the process won't take that long).

2. Go to the Settings menu. Scroll down until you see the "General" settings, and hit that, then scan to the very bottom, where you'll see a mini-menu titled "Reset." Press this. This will bring up a few different options, but the one you want is "Erase All Content and Settings." Be sure that you've got everything backed up that you need before pressing on this--once you erase all your content, you can't get it back, ever. If you're all backed up, though, go ahead and press this button. A prompt will come up warning you of what you're about to do, and it will suggest that the process for erasing the iPod Touch will take about two hours. Confirm your decision and the iPod Touch will begin to erase itself."

- Collapse -
I'M STUCK ALREADY!

Bob ... I don't know where the SETTINGS MENU is. Am I supposed to have ITUNES open? If so, I didn't find it there and I don't see it as a choice under FILE/EDIT/VIEW, ETC.

Sorry to be so inept but I am lost. Thanks again. Ann

- Collapse -
Hmm. No itunes used here.

I'd use the (ipod) device and look in its menus.

- Collapse -
DUMB BLONDE

I finally realized that what you were instructing me to do was on the device itself and NOT on my computer! This old brain takes a while to process ... I followed your instructions and it set everything back to zero (so to speak) and only took a few minutes since I had only done Itunes and Gmail. Now I can return the iTouch and rest easy that my data is no longer on the device.

Thanks for your patience ... there are some of us who really, really need the most basic of directions which I am sure a young person would know without thinking. CNET is so helpful and I try to tell my friends about it but most are intimidated ... I just keep plucking away!

grammy annie

- Collapse -
Keep plucking away,

Good for you!

P

- Collapse -
We don't use those words here.

It's a sign of a smart person to ask directions.

- Collapse -
You are right

Yes, Bob, you are right ... I shouldn't denigrate myself or anyone else who is blonde and I agree with you about asking directions. Learn and you can teach someone else!

Thanks again

- Collapse -
Once you have completed the steps,

laid out by Bob, you might want to take a look at an iPad.

Much bigger screen, much bigger buttons, icons and, perhaps most important for you, a much larger on screen keyboard.

It does everything that the iPod Touch does, and more

P

- Collapse -
Thanks, Guys!

I am going to try to follow Bob's directions and I am sure it will work since he has helped me before.

In addition ... the suggestion to try the IPAD is a good one but I don't know if I want to make that kind of investment as I already have a new laptop as well as a Kindle ... my IPOD is wonderful (Nano ... 3rd gen.) ... it was just a whim that I bought the I-TOUCH and now need to undo my impulsive action.

I'll be back if I am stuck. Thanks so much to all who replied. Grammy_Annie

CNET Forums

Forum Info