Question

Items in trash won't delete

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I have a couple of items in the Trash that won't delete, or when they are delete will re-appear. It is two files -- both say they are aliases and take up zero KB of space. The file names are gibberish.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Any suggestions as to what the files are and how I get rid of them>

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Items in trash won't delete
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Items in trash won't delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Empty Trash

Open Terminal at the prompt, the following commands:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to correct command syntax at poster's request on 06/07/2011 at 9:57 PM PT

- Collapse -
Zip Drive

I discovered that the items in the trash are from a zip drive. When I removed the zip drive, the items disappear from the trash.

- Collapse -
Put the ZIP drive back on

and then delete the trash

- Collapse -
That should actually be

That should actually be

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

So you delete what's IN the trash folder, not the folder itself. Yes, it would almost certainly be regenerated in this case, but it's important to remember the command line eschews all the safety nets of the Finder. The command line is a very unforgiving place, so you want to be sure to get those commands right. A subtle difference in commands can often times make the difference between doing what you intended and creating a whole lot of collateral damage.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Jimmy, I stand corrected, and yes I need to slow down and copy the entire line or stay away from such commands. Thanks.

CNET Forums