Linux forum

General discussion

Itching for Linux

by Tom Aikman / April 1, 2005 9:40 PM PST

Hello,
I have 2 HDDs in my PC. The first has XP and all my files. The 2nd is unused.
My plan is to install Linux on the 2nd HDD and switch between the 2 using the boot sequence in the BIOS. Logical? Is there a better way?

Thanks, Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Itching for Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Itching for Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works fine.
by chuckieu / April 2, 2005 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Itching for Linux

That's how a lot of us do it. Actually, I have Windows on one partition on 1st HDD, a 2nd 120G partition on same
drive(photos and media), and Mandrake on 2nd 40G HDD. But
I've done it like you want (since you have already partitioned and installed Windows). Just be sure to put the MBR on head of 1st HDD(Windows). Or, to put it another way, just accept the default when installing Linux. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
I haven't installed Linux yet...
by Tom Aikman / April 2, 2005 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Works fine.

What I want is no "bootloader". What I want is... if I have the XP drive chosen in the BIOS to load first it will boot to XP without asking. If I have the Linux drive chosen to boot first it will boot to Linux without asking.
Possible? Hope I make sense!

Collapse -
Why do it this way?
by Art / April 2, 2005 4:07 PM PST

What your reason for selecting the OS throught the bios method? I think you maybe making thing more complicated. Was there something about the boot loader you don't like? What did you hear?

Collapse -
I agree!
by chuckieu / April 3, 2005 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Why do it this way?

You HAVE a bootloader, even if you are just running Windows. If you install the normal way, as suggested, you
choose the default of your choice. Usually, Linux will
make itself the default since it loaded last(has to have Windows installed first). If you want Windows as the
automatic load default, change to that. That's how mine was for a long time till I became more comfortable with Linux. chuck

Collapse -
Ok...
by Tom Aikman / April 3, 2005 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Why do it this way?

I'm going to install Linux on a partition on my 2nd HDD. I set aside 12 gig for Linux. The BOOTLOADER needs to be on the 1st HDD? Is this obvious since the PC boots to this drive 1st?

Thanks....Tom

Collapse -
Now you're getting it.
by chuckieu / April 4, 2005 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

For a dual-boot, Windows has to be installed first, and the boot-loader from Linux just adds itself to the already present MBR, giving you more choices than you may want(Windows,Linux,Kernel,etc). My first dual-boot was on Seagate 20.5G drive, half for Windows, the other for RH9.
Linux is less of a hog than Windows, especially XP. Good luck. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.