Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

It wasn't SP2! Follow up on

((Please note that this is a follow up on a rather long, and now difficult to follow, thread http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=34121&messageID=393320 ))

The issue of the freezing of my daughter's explorer bar was discussed in the other thread. One suggestion, by David was 100% on target (as usual!). I created a new user and it worked fine, switching to the old user eventually froze the machine.
Instead of running FAST (and potentially bringing over whatever bug exisited in the first user), I decided to 'rebuild' this user, not a lot of fun, but at least I know what is there.
One response in the other thread asked about a relationship between the SP2 upgrade and this freeze problem. Not being an expert (and we can all agree on that) I can state that if the new user works and the old user freezes, the problem (probably) isn't related to SP2.
For the record, I wholeheartedly endorse upgrading to SP2. I have had no problems (related to the upgrade) that I am aware of. If anyone is 'sitting on the fence', (as long as you don't have one of the 50 applications known to cause problems) I would advise upgrading.
Thanks to all who pitched in for all your help, and thank you CNET for brining us David!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It wasn't SP2! Follow up on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It wasn't SP2! Follow up on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Belated "you are welcome" ?

In reply to: It wasn't SP2! Follow up on

Create new account message and susequently File & Settings Transfer wizard (as your single account wish).

Signed,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot
Collapse -
I was afraid of FAST since I didn't want to bring over...

In reply to: Belated "you are welcome" ?

...whatever problem was on the original user (if that makes sense)

Collapse -
Yeah, but reread thread before giving some credit (NT) ...

In reply to: I was afraid of FAST since I didn't want to bring over...

Collapse -
Oops! I meant thanks for giving us David and Cetin!

In reply to: Yeah, but reread thread before giving some credit (NT) ...

apparently the end of the sentence got cut off!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.