Speakeasy forum

General discussion

It was 29 years ago to day...

by grimgraphix / August 16, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

Elvis dead at 42.

He would have 71 by now? Wow!

grim

Happens to be Madonna's birth day to day as well... Coincidence?

Of course it's coincidence! What are you, some sort of conspiracy freak? Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It was 29 years ago to day...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It was 29 years ago to day...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We're a strange society dontcha think ...
by Evie / August 16, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

... that notes this anniversary every year? I can see year 1, 5, 10, 20, 25 (maybe 2 and 15), but 29?? It's one thing for a person that has a special relationship with the deceased, but that this is "newsworthy" (I heard it on TV) does kinda bug me.

Collapse -
It's a strange case...
by grimgraphix / August 16, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

Elvis... a world wide Icon that a Japanese prime minister will imitate on state visits and preachers will imitate as they marry couples in 24 hour chapels. People swear they have picked up Elvis as a hitch hiker long after he was reported dead. Just knowing him has made others celebrities. He is acknowledged as american royalty. I wonder how many countries in the world where a person on the street would recognize his name or a recording of his voice?

His legend has eclipsed his life. He's the Paul Bunyan of rock and roll and could probably bring peace to the middle east with a sneer and a swivel of his hips.

A friend of mine... his mom is a 71 year old life long Elvis fan. I don't understand her at all, god bless her. But the music and the visits to Graceland and the black velvet Elvis paintings makes her happy.

Life could be a lot uglier! Wink

grim

As a future mythology built around a celebrity... try googling all the "Why Chuck Norris Rules" websites.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hes alive and well in area 54
by Mark5019 / August 16, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Elvis Lives!!!!!
by Maggie6243 / August 16, 2006 8:22 AM PDT

The only possible way for Elvis to be alive, is he would have no choice but to be working as an Elvis impersonater.That way when people spot him, they will say, "you look just like Elvis" Then he will say, thank you, thank you very much....Maggie

Collapse -
think about it
by Mark5019 / August 16, 2006 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Elvis Lives!!!!!

hideing in plain sight:)

Collapse -
Personal question maggie
by grimgraphix / August 16, 2006 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Elvis Lives!!!!!

Did you actually type maggie in 6243 times before the sign up page said "This name is not taken" Wink

Now, for a more serious question... did Elvis ever, actually say, " Thank you, Thank you very much".

grim Happy

Collapse -
What???????
by Maggie6243 / August 16, 2006 2:53 PM PDT

#1 Went over my head.
#2 Yes, I believe he did.
Maggie

Collapse -
Often ...
by Evie / August 17, 2006 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: What???????

... if you were to choose just Maggie as your ID, and it's taken, websites come back with other suggestions. Like Maggie1, Maggie19##, etc. So grim was asking if you had to try all 6242 before they allowed 6243 Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I was joking but I had always wondered...
by grimgraphix / August 17, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Often ...

how someone got "fred twelve thousand and seven" or "samuel eighteen hundred" as their screen name. I got caught in the numbers game one time (I think it was for an online account of some sort) but its interface wasn't kind enough to give you available names like some now do.

I always imagined some determined soul out there typing in "Stan 243", hitting enter and upon getting a negative, then types in "Stan 244" until they reach the available number. Happy

grim

Collapse -
now i know why Ray Bradbury
by jonah jones / August 17, 2006 12:47 AM PDT

used farenheit459....

Wink

jonah

Collapse -
Many use birth year ...
by Evie / August 17, 2006 12:56 AM PDT

... maybe some use a badge number, phone number digits, address, etc.?

Collapse -
I would try not to use such numbers...
by grimgraphix / August 17, 2006 1:46 AM PDT

since an enterprising social engineer/hacker might find a way to take advantage.

Some what off subject... I once pulled up to a drive thru ATM (while out with friends) late one night as the guy in front of me drove off. The fellow had left his ATM card behind so I pulled it out in order to use mine. I noticed on the back he had wrote down a birthday (a girlfriend maybe?).

Later that night my buddy who had been playing with the card all night... stuck the lost card into an ATM at a bar and punched in the birthday. Sure enough, the idiot used that as his PIN number and we had access to the guys account. We didn't take advantage of this... we just left the card alone (as I held my friend in a full nelson :D) until the machine ate the card. Since that time I have avoided using any significant number for any purpose.

Collapse -
I have a new pin number trick
by Evie / August 17, 2006 2:45 AM PDT

When we got our latest ATM cards in the mail, the computer generated PINS were sent along as usual. My first inclination was to go switch it to something I know, but figured I needed something to remember the given PIN for a little while so I could use the card until I had the opportunity to do the change. So I wrote the numbers down and the keypad letters underneath each. Came up with something in letters that I could remember and did the same for my hubby. Both are very easy to remember, but would never have been created by us. Never ended up changing the PIN's. The notices with the original pins were burned in the fireplace Wink Perhaps as added security one could use a random sequence generator to generate a PIN and do the same thing, that way at least the PIN is changed once.

Collapse -
Good tip!
by grimgraphix / August 17, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

Kind of trick code breakers use to create and break simple codes.;)

grim

Collapse -
Bubba Ho-tep
by grimgraphix / August 16, 2006 5:00 AM PDT

The story of an underground Elvis teaming up with a black JFK to battle the evil of an undead egyptian mummy come back to wreak havoc on a Texas retirement home. You gotta see it to believe it. Wink

LINK

grim

Collapse -
Who says he died?
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

Wasn't he seen on Mars or Venus?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.