General discussion

'It's the ATM Stupid' or so Obama believes

Just when you thought the antics of this administration couldn't get any funnier, along comes this bit of wisdom from Obama.
======================================================
Earlier in the week, at a jobs council meeting, the president was called
out for saying that "shovel-ready projects' weren't quite as
shovel-ready as he thought. Then later, in an interview with NBC News,
Obama suggested that innovation and technology -- like job-stealing ATMs -- were reasons why the employment rate was not rebounding as quickly as he had hoped.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/16/revenge-machines-obama-mocked-for-blaming-slow-recovery-on-atms/#ixzz1PXmhnC3q

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 'It's the ATM Stupid' or so Obama believes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 'It's the ATM Stupid' or so Obama believes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Unfortunately

even tho the interview was done on NBC even their own news stories later in the day didn't mention it much....He sure didn't give credit to any of the companies and employees involved with MAKING, maintaining, and stocking the ATM's or KIOSKS for creating jobs that replaced those tellers.

Another one of those moments that while I watched, drinking my coffee, I almost spit it across the room in astonishment.

- Collapse -
RE: I almost spit it across the room in astonishment.

A different story might astonish me, Perhaps a satirical story, but this one isn't spit across the room worthy in my books.

"There are some structural issues with our economy where a lot of
businesses have learned to become much more efficient with a lot fewer
workers," the president said this week. "You see it when you go to a
bank and you use an ATM. You don't go to a bank teller. Or you go to the
airport and you're using a kiosk instead of checking at the gate. So
all these things have created changes in the economy."

Astonishing?...I don't think so.

Did someone translate "changes in the economy" to "reasons why the employment rate was not rebounding" ?

More tellers now than 25 years ago? YES

Would there be MANY more tellers now than 25 years ago if there were no ATMS? YES!!!

- Collapse -
who loads them?

Can they be called "tellers"?

- Collapse -
RE: Can they be called "tellers"
Sure, why not?

Also...They load the ATMs then "tell" the boss the ATMs are loaded.
- Collapse -
PS I should add

usually BEFORE they open their windows to serve customers is when they load the ATMs.

Then, while they serve customers...the customers that don't want to stand in line for a teller/bank clerk can use the ATM.

So these ATMs replace a teller/bank clerk that the bank would/might have to hire, to keep the customer satisfied, by providing the service that they think they should receive.

- Collapse -
This had to be a joke on your part, right?

#usually BEFORE they open their windows to serve customers is when they load the ATMs.#

You DO realize that over 90% of the ATM's in the USA, not counting across the WORLD, are 'stand alone' units nowhere NEAR a bank where a 'teller' could load them prior to opening their windows?

The people who actually build, service, load, maintain, and empty them are NOT bank employees.

- Collapse -
This had to be a joke on your part, right?

NO?

I was talking about bank tellers.

So was Obama...he said "You go into a bank and you use an ATM, You don't go to a bank teller"

- Collapse -
what's Obama got against bank tellers?

If I'm at a bank I go see the teller. I'd rather deal with a person if at the bank, than a machine. ATM's are for when the bank is closed or in areas away from a bank.

- Collapse -
RE what's Obama got against bank tellers?

I didn't know he had anything against tellers. Some people don't like standing in line

If I'm at a bank I go see the teller.

I'll use your logic

What have you got against ATMs?

- Collapse -
nothing more than

I have against gas pumps, but if I could get someone to pump the gas for me instead, I would.

- Collapse -
If you want someopne to stand in line at the bank

with YOUR money...I'm your man.

- Collapse -
Move to Oregon

you're not allowed to pump your gas there.

- Collapse -
Oregon

passed that law, if I remember correctly, because too many pump accidents were happening. Static electricity fires, pumps being left on because the hose wasn't put back correctly, etc.

- Collapse -
Or you could just drive to NJ

I didn't realize NJ also bans self service gas.

- Collapse -
RE: if I could get someone to pump the gas for me instead,
- Collapse -
Would you pay an extra $1 a gallon for that

Full service stations always charged more so they could pay the help they had pumping gas. As it turns out most people would rather pump their own and save the difference from what the full service stations were charging so the full service stations went away.

- Collapse -
15-20 cents per gallon extra easily covers that.

At 20 cents extra, every small care fillup of 10 gallons is $2 and every larger vehicle of 15-22 gallons is $3 or more. If it's just to cover the cost of the employee, it only takes 4-6 fillups per hour to do that.

- Collapse -
Really?

Do you think that covers the SS contributions and workers compensation requirements of the employer? Optionally health insurance as well? I'd be surprised that a full service station could get enough business from the station across the road when stations literally have gas wars over pennies. I know they wouldn't get my business unless they had self serve pumps too with prices comparable to the self serve only stations.

- Collapse -
I would pay 10% extra

if I could find an attended pump garage in the UK nowadays. We don't have them as they are all self-service!

Mark

- Collapse -
And, Toni...

And, Toni, I wonder how much of the ATM use in the other 10% in banks is because the lobby is closed and the customer couldn't transact through a teller even if they wanted to.

- Collapse -
One of the things I've found

that I dislike immensely about the ATM's of late is that you can only WITHDRAW from them and not DEPOSIT. My bank is actually 27 miles from my house (BofA). Although there are other banks closer, they are all locally owned and operated...they have ATM's attached to their physical property, issue debit cards only if you are credit worthy, and there is NO tie in between checking and savings with those debit cards so you can't transfer money back and forth, because you have to still have a physical paper savings passbook that you present to a teller in order to transact from it. That's why I don't use their banks.

Twenty years ago, at National City Bank in Cleveland (now defunct), I would stand outside at the ATM machine connected to the building and deposit (could actually split that deposit to both checking and savings), transfer funds back and forth, pay on a loan I had with that bank, pay my utility bills, and withdraw. I hardly ever saw a teller. I also used to be able to do all of those things at a COMPETITOR bank if my bank wasn't nearby (say at a shopping mall).

NONE of the current 'stand alone' ATM's allow you to do ANYTHING other than make a withdrawal...and you are charged twice: once by that ATM company and again by your own bank.

I use my debit card for all purchases rather than write out a check anywhere, and I can get extra cash on that card at the grocery store for free without having to pay a fee at the ATM or drive all the way to my bank. I don't own a credit card...don't need one.

- Collapse -
Yes and no, it was a funny way of telling part of the story.

You have demonstrated before you, the difference between Brits and Canadians on the one hand, and Americans on the other. Americans assume that unless there's a stage and a drummer, that everything said is serious and true at least in the mind of the person speaking. Canadians, and Brits assume that jokes are a natural part of everybody's speech, and mix the straight forward with the puns and word play and laugh out loud jokes assuming that people are alert enough to catch them. I was brought up by a British mother and a father who spent 3 years in Britain, and they both loved jokes and wordplay so I grew up never knowing when the joke was coming so I learned to listen and evaluate all the time. It's a great education and strengthens children's vocabularies and intelligence because it's always a bit of a reach to understand it.

Bill Bryson approached a man in a Yorkshire railway station with the simple question, "Have you been waiting long?" The bushy faced man turned and said "Well, wen I coom 'ere, ah were clean shaven."

Then again there's pronunciation. When my parents and I were in Edinburgh we wanted to go to Berwick on Tweed (Berrick on the Tweed River) which gave its name to the cloth woven all over Scotland. We asked a couple of British Rail people who were tied up with other things, but a young lad said "Ye wantae go tae Berrick? Oh, ye take the bus tae Hoik." Fine, off we went looking for a sign saying Hoik or something similar. When we found it it was spelt Hawick. We got their fine, we did. Using typical Celtic emphasis. If I were Irish I'd say "We got there fine, so we did."

Rob

- Collapse -
(NT) Very very nicely done JP. I appreciate your posts greatly.
- Collapse -
If you want, but the word teller

comes from earlier banking practices and earlier language, it is found in the phrase "all told" meaning "all counted"

"It's almost as ancient as the verb to tell. It comes from a Germanic source that mainly meant to relate something, but it also had the sense of counting or reckoning (the modern German verb z

- Collapse -
It's called

"Evolutionary Economics".

Some people view economics is only a static mode.

The cell phone killed the pay phone. More or less jobs now??

- Collapse -
There are actually more jobs

Towers that have to be built and maintained, mortar and bricks buildings that have to be built for 'networking' servers, cell phone manufacturing plants that have to be built (how many are actually overseas though?), not to mention all the 'office' jobs regarding contracting, turning on/activating the phones, changing plans, billing, receivables for payments, payroll, accounting, advertising, etc.

- Collapse -
RE: There are actually more jobs

You left out the annoying phone calls to get a cellphone or switch providers.

- Collapse -
Telemarketers

have been around for a very long time and are not exclusive to the cell phone industry, but even those jobs are better than none at all.

- Collapse -
RE: not exclusive to the cell phone industry,

Didn't say they were.

The ones that are selling cellphones are.

You left out the annoying phone calls to get a cellphone or switch providers.

And they're not better from my point of view, When they disturb me, which is every time they call.

I'd rather have no job than the job of annoying people. I don't mind doing it for fun...but not for profit. Devil

- Collapse -
It's always been obvious to me

that you are much better at enjoying annoying people than you are at being annoyed by others.

CNET Forums