Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

It's just too ridiculous! Halo for Windows

by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

Of all the PC games out there I would think Microsoft's own games would install and run fine on a Windows PC but I am very wrong!

I liked Halo on XBOX and wanted to try it on PC. $20 isn't a heavy cost. I picked it up, installed it but it won't run. I tried a number of things to get it to work but to no avail.

Ridiculous

There's even an "auto update" patch but it won't even install because it says there's a problem with the game install and that the game needs to be reinstalled. If I could tell the patch how many times I reinstalled the game I would but, that's for a future time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's just too ridiculous! Halo for Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's just too ridiculous! Halo for Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this a rant or plea for help?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

I think it's a rant since you didn't supply a word about your PC.

Bob

Collapse -
It's a rant
by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 7:47 AM PDT

I'm so incredulous at MS's own product not working with MS's own other product ...that it was designed for...that I couldn't keep quiet.

Collapse -
I've run it. BUT...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a rant

It required me to update drivers, then directx and then tinker with settings. It's why the Xbox and PS2 are what I favor for games for the kids.

Bob

Collapse -
My PC is newer than the PC version of the game.
by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I've run it. BUT...

Actually my PC is just a few months old, has the latest drivers, DX 9.0b and exceeds the game requirements.

I have nearly 30 PC games installed and maybe 2 of them gave me slight trouble getting them to run...actually, now that I think about it, just one game....but did finally get it to run. A number of those games...like 90%... installed actually have higher hardware requirements than Halo.

My video card isn't the latest or greatest but it certainly gets the job done.

System specs:

Velocity Micro AMD Vector:

AMD Athlon 3200+
Asus A7N8X MB with nForce2 chipset
256 MB eVGA nVidia GeForce FX 5600 XT video card
Two 80 GB 7200 RPM HDDs
430 watt power supply

As far as the settings are concerned, I'm assuming you are referring to game settings rather than OS settings. I can't set any game settings because I can't get to them. As far as I can get is the Brand screen then it goes back to the desktop....automatically as though the game were cancelled or exited.
512 MB DDR333 running in dual channel

Collapse -
ridiculous as this may sound
by dawillie / May 30, 2005 10:52 AM PDT

you may actually have a faulty product.

try exchanging it.

Collapse -
Does that happen frequently?
by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 11:01 AM PDT

I considered that but can't figure out how digital info could be in error unless a whole batch or complete inventory of the game were burned in error. There are no physical imperfections.

Actually now that I think about it Walmart has given me more software that wouldn't work than anywhere else.

Collapse -
This may not be your problem but
by roddy32 / May 30, 2005 10:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yeah, I just became aware of 9c a couple days ago.
by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 11:06 AM PDT

I plan to install it with a video card upgrade. A GeForce 6800 GT.

Collapse -
Incredible as it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

Your machine is not one that you can install just XP and run. It's an experts only machine that you get to update BIOS, motherboard drivers and more before games will work.

If you want a click here OS install, try an Apple.

But this is an area that has not improved in 10 years. Many expected XP to update the drivers for them. But it's a very old OS now with expectations of the owners from an era that is past.

Bob

Collapse -
That's just it, games are running very well on my machine.
by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 12:01 PM PDT

Even Far Cry, which must be turned down in effects and resolution, runs well. The only game I've so far encountered that doesn't seems to want to work is Halo.

But as another poster pointed out it could be that Halo doesn't work because of a faulty disc.

There are no new drivers or BIOS available for my PC.

Collapse -
Could be it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

But that doesn't indicate the problem is as you first noted. You would have to see it work elsewhere.

Collapse -
Couldn't even get it to install in my laptop
by martylk2 / May 30, 2005 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Could be it.

1.4 Gh Pentium M
512 MB DDR333 Ram
9200 Mobility Radeon
40 GB HDD

I only tried once to install it but it gave me error messages during installing and seemed to lock up my computer... for a while, anyway. That's why I didn't try twice.

Collapse -
a visit to WalMart may be in order....
by dawillie / May 30, 2005 10:36 PM PDT

i mean if your Radeon 9200 does not support it:'(??

Collapse -
I agree
by martylk2 / May 31, 2005 1:54 AM PDT

I figure, though, that if one is bad their whole inventory of Halos is bad. I'll get a refund and buy it elsewhere.

Collapse -
You said you tried to
by roddy32 / May 30, 2005 10:43 PM PDT

install a patch, There appears to be more than one. You may have already seen this link but if not, I would check it out about half way down the page. If nothing there helps, then I would agree with David and take another trip to Walmart.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/halo.aspx

Collapse -
Yeah, I saw that patch but....
by martylk2 / May 31, 2005 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: You said you tried to

didn't think it applied to me because I don't play games online....a 56k dial up service is the best I get.

I did, however, see that I was executing the "auto update" patch incorrectly. As soon as I get a new copy of the game I'll use the instructions I just learned of and patch it.

Collapse -
Surprise, surprise
by martylk2 / May 31, 2005 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: You said you tried to

With the same copy of the game I reinstalled it, installed the "auto update" patch and downloaded and installed th "Hot fix" patch.

Game now works. I am very surprised at how hard it runs on my equipment, though. I had to turn nearly every effect off or to low before the game would run smooth.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's great, glad it worked for you.
by roddy32 / May 31, 2005 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Surprise, surprise
Collapse -
........ what!!!!!!
by 101Ares / August 1, 2005 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Surprise, surprise

my geforce fx go5200 has all setings on high and resulytion of second highest!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?