HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

it's just a funny noise

by gabbie_abbie / October 29, 2004 2:07 AM PDT

OK, first of all you need to know that I know how to use a computer but no idea how to fix anything. I have an emachines brand T2484 with Windows XP, 2.40 GHz intel celeron processor, 80 GB hard drive, and i don't know what else. My problem is that when I turn it on, the pc makes this long, drawn-out screeching sound that goes on for minutes (it sounds a little like microphone feedback). It's almost ear-piercing and it's driving my roommate and I crazy. I've had it for a year and it only started doing this recently. Earlier, when it started making the noise it would also do it randomly while I was working on stuff, but now it only seems to be on startup. And turning the speakers on and on has no effect. Please, anyone have a suggestion?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: it's just a funny noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: it's just a funny noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: it's just a funny noise
by Michael Geist / October 29, 2004 9:25 AM PDT

Time to pop off the case cover and try to isolate the origin of the noise. My suspect---a cooling fan.

Collapse -
by billv / October 31, 2004 11:42 PM PST

I agree with Michael -- probably either power supply or CPU cooling fan. If it's the CPU cooling fan, beware that if this fan fails, you could burn up your CPU chip. It could also be a GPU cooling fan if you have a fancy video board.

I know, because I've replaced the CPU cooling fan on one of my PC's twice in the last 5 years. My wife's PC burned up the CPU before we figured out the problem. It might also be your hard drive if the bearings are going bad. So, yeah, it could just be a "funny noise", but it could be something much more dire.

Good luck! Bill V

Collapse -
by TechHeadBob / November 4, 2004 11:07 PM PST

It's probably your power supply or cpu fan.
You could take a can of compressed air and blow it out.
If that doesn't do it I'd take it in and have it fixed.
Thoese are things a non-computer person should be messing with Happy

Collapse -
by gabbie_abbie / November 10, 2004 12:18 AM PST

thanks for your help guys!

Collapse -
by tigerrrrrrr82 / November 30, 2004 12:54 AM PST

i had this same problem on my m5310 laptop and i was told by the good old tech support guys that it was BIOS warning me that my computer was overheating and trying to shut down.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.