Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"It's Good News Week"

by keyhoti2 / December 30, 2004 4:34 PM PST

I'm sure I am not the only one who remembers that song vividly.

A confession:

Ever since I was a little kid I have been on the side of the under-dog in human affairs ... I don't know why, only that I have never been any different from my earliest awareness of myself, at about three years of age.

Clearly, currently, the US empire is top-dog (not to be confused with everyone living in the USA).

Sometimes I have found it hard to keep that distinction in mind ... like during the Vietnam War when little more than peasants were being carpet bombed and driven to horrific circumstances via napalm and chemical weapons of mass destruction (Agent Orange ring any bells?).

Sometimes, as humans are sometimes wont to do, I have "hated Americans" and been glad when some tadpole has made a dent in the arrogance of an American government.

I have temporarily forgotten that some entirely innocent entirely innocent conscript has been killed or maimed.

I will put it this way:

I grieve for you, America, that you have been led into another Vietnam, by a few people who only have their own pockets to line, at whatever cost to the rest of you and all the other people in the world.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "It's Good News Week"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "It's Good News Week"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you should learn a new song as this same is boreing
by Mark5019 / December 30, 2004 8:55 PM PST
In reply to: "It's Good News Week"
Collapse -
You could always change the channel...
by Blake Cook / December 30, 2004 8:59 PM PST

Cheers!!!

Happy

Collapse -
yes could as his reruns get boreing
by Mark5019 / December 30, 2004 9:44 PM PST

needs to get more writers to keep a folowing or then his folowers dont understand his rants either
cheers Grin

Collapse -
re
by MKay / December 30, 2004 9:46 PM PST

And I keyhoti2, have always had a love for my America. I won't always agree with what you say but I certainly respect your right to say it.And I will take your remarks as points to examine our position
on things.

Collapse -
It's interesting to me that the people that are dragging us
by Ziks511 / December 30, 2004 10:08 PM PST

into this conflict are the ones who avoided service in Viet Nam. Not one of them served.

And yes I remember the song very well.

Collapse -
While all proclaiming their support for the war.

As usual, Rob, they're willing to fight to the last drop of someone else's blood, all in the name of a democracy and liberty they don't really support.

Happy New Year! -- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
yes dave and your choice would sell us out to the un
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 12:21 AM PST

good choice on a coward you admired a man who self inflicted wounds to get out of the service.
please have more self respect for yourself.
and relize your respecting of a coward makes your views suspect

Collapse -
Pick the coward(s)
by JP Bill / December 31, 2004 11:07 AM PST

Which do you respect more?

A person that fought in Viet Nam (and knew what was going on there, because he was there), Then came back to the US and expressed his opinion of what he saw, and said he was against the war.

OR

Two people (the present President and Vice President) that did not serve in Viet Nam, and from what I have read the vice President used many tactics to avoid going in the military. The present President did not feel it was his duty to volunteer to serve in Viet Nam at the time.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/vicepresident/vpbio.html

Mr. Cheney served with duty, honor, and unwavering leadership, gaining him the respect of the American people during trying "military times" but not in the military emphasis mine

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney/ascent.html

So many " deferments"

One of the reasons I am asking this question is

You seem to believe if you "didn't serve" you shouldn't have an opinion, yet, from your responses to previous posters, you have no respect for Kerry and a great deal of respect for the President Bush and VP Cheney. Neither one were in Nam and "didn't serve"

Who is the "bigger" coward, someone that goes to battle or the two people that don't show up for the battle?

Collapse -
The one that cuts and runs after rigging his purple
by Kiddpeat / December 31, 2004 5:29 PM PST
In reply to: Pick the coward(s)

heart records.

Collapse -
well as kerry
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 7:08 PM PST
In reply to: Pick the coward(s)

never released his records we dont really know all do we?

and a man that self inflicts wounds to get out of nam after 4 months hmmm.

why wouldnt kerry release hmmmm whats he hideing?

bush did his time, others like some here went to canada and some went to collage.
you admire kerry i dispize a coward a sell out

Collapse -
He didn't, so you don't know
by JP Bill / December 31, 2004 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: well as kerry

Award Specifications

The Purple Heart differs from all other decorations in that an individual is not "recommended" for the decoration; rather he or she is entitled upon being killed or wounded in a manner meeting the specific criteria of AR 600-8-22:

1. In any action against an enemy of the United States;
2. In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged;
3. While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party;
4. As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces;
5. As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force;
6. After March 28, 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of the department concerned, or jointly by the Secretaries of the departments concerned if persons from more than one department are wounded in the attack; or,
7. After March 28, 1973, as a result of military operations, while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.
8. After December 7, 1941, by weapon fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, regardless of the fire causing the wound.
9. While held as a prisoner of war or while being taken captive.

A "wound" is defined as an injury to any part of the body from an outside force or agent. A physical lesion is not required; however, the wound for which the award is made must have required treatment by a medical officer and records of medical treatment for wounds or injuries received in action must have been made a matter of official record.

Individuals wounded or killed as a result of "friendly fire" in the "heat of battle" will be awarded the Purple Heart as long as the "friendly" projectile or agent was released with the full intent of inflicting damage or destroying enemy troops or equipment.

Award Examples

Examples of enemy-related injuries which clearly justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

1. Injury caused by enemy bullet, shrapnel, or other projectile created by enemy action.
2. Injury caused by enemy placed mine or trap.
3. Injury caused by enemy released chemical, biological or nuclear agent.
4. Injury caused by vehicle or aircraft accident resulting from enemy fire.
5. Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy generated explosions.

Also

Due to the 1973 National Archives Fire, a large number of retroactive Purple Heart requests are difficult to verify since all records to substantiate the award may very well have been destroyed

never released his records we dont really know all do we?

No, you don't know, but you'll condemm (villify) him anyway.

Bush served his time flying around Texas and Alabama or ?

Cheney didn't serve anytime.

Collapse -
why is the question
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 10:56 PM PST

and self inflicted wounds are ok in your eyes.
and he is the person who brought up his nam service or lack of service.

gee other men who got wounded real wounds stayed he took a loophole.

and he wanted the un to have say on when we can protect the usa shudder, the un has proven how good they are at that.

and others didnt serve in nam how many people went to canada? and were allowed to come back to the usa.

bush served his time in states so did many others,
why was the media all over bushes records and not kerrys such lopsided media.

Collapse -
I didn't say
by JP Bill / January 1, 2005 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: why is the question

self-inflicted wounds were OK, and I don't think that you can prove that the wounds were self-inflicted. If they were. and self-inflicted wounds do not receive a Purple Heart, how did Kerry receive the Purple Heart?

and others didnt serve in nam how many people went to canada? and were allowed to come back to the usa.

Some people left the US in order to not serve in Nam, others went in the National Guard, others got 5 deferments using the "loopholes" that you complain Kerry used. They are not "loopholes" it is called using (or abusing) the system. All 3 (Kerry Bush and Cheney) used the system.

Why was the system set up so that if you get a certain number of wounds, you could go home? He used the system the same as Bush and Cheney, Except he went to Nam, He got the T shirt, Been there, Done that.

The media go after the people in power, because they are in power.

And the people in power use the media to "spread the word".

Collapse -
you
by Mark5019 / January 1, 2005 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't say

ask the swiftys they served with him

and bush served full duty did kerry? look at his service record, wait you cant he wont allow them to be seen hmmm.
yes he went there got minor wounds i new others never tried that of course its not a well know loophole

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You should learn a new song, cause this one is boring,M
by Ziks511 / December 31, 2004 11:47 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) but at least the song im singing is true
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 7:12 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And the Pope is a Baptist too...
by Blake Cook / December 31, 2004 7:20 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and as he talks from god to your ear i suppose?
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 7:24 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Since this whole subthread is true, that's affirmative
by Blake Cook / December 31, 2004 8:25 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) well then we know whats reality dont we? to bad you don
by Mark5019 / December 31, 2004 10:57 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kind of like spending someone else's money?
by Kiddpeat / December 31, 2004 5:26 PM PST
Collapse -
You didn't serve either as I recall, and the vets,
by Kiddpeat / December 31, 2004 5:25 PM PST

for the most part, support the Bush admin.

Collapse -
Yes and everyone who posts in here
by gearup / December 31, 2004 9:11 PM PST

is exactly what they claim to be. I wonder how many of you have real lives in a real world?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.