Speakeasy forum

General discussion

It's Bad when....................Venice is flooded

by JP Bill / December 1, 2008 4:59 AM PST
Historic centre of Venice under water

VENICE ? Water in Venice rose to its highest level in more than 20 years Monday, flooding much of the Italian city and forcing residents and tourists to wade through knee-high water.

City officials said the sea level topped 156 centimetres on Monday, well past the 110-centimetre flood mark, following heavy rains. Alarms went off to alert citizens in the morning.

?There are very few streets that are water-free,? said a city spokesman, Enzo Bon.

Among the spots affected was St. Mark's Square, the landmark piazza that is the lowest point in the city.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's Bad when....................Venice is flooded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's Bad when....................Venice is flooded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah, that's a good Johnny Carson take on it,
by drpruner / December 1, 2008 12:24 PM PST

but it has happened before. I think there's subsidence or something, so a mildly bad flood year in Italy is very bad in Venice.

Collapse -
Update
by JP Bill / December 11, 2008 3:29 AM PST

I know everyone's wondering how they're doing.

Venice hotels offer flood package with free boots

VENICE (Reuters) ? Hoteliers in Venice, trying to lure tourists to the canal city despite floods caused by the highest sea levels in over two decades, are offering special "High Water" packages complete with free rubber boots.

The Venice Hoteliers Association website www.veneziasi.it is offering "Venice and the High Water" promotions at 190 euros for one night's stay plus "free use of rubber boots" and a map with "alternative pedestrian routes during the high water."

Collapse -
"If the toilet overflows, make ..."
by drpruner / December 12, 2008 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Update

Oh, never mind. Happy Good thinking on their part, though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?