Speakeasy forum

General discussion

It's another "Earth Hour"

by Mike_Hanks / March 26, 2011 7:08 AM PDT

A couple of stories:

http://rossmckitrick.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/0/8/4808045/earthhour.pdf

I abhor Earth Hour. Abundant, cheap electricity has been the greatest source of human liberation in the 20th century. Every material social advance in the 20th century depended on the proliferation of inexpensive and reliable electricity.

Giving women the freedom to work outside the home depended on the availability of electrical appliances that free up time from domestic chores. Getting children out of menial labour and into schools depended on the same thing, as well as the ability to provide safe indoor lighting for reading.

I couldn't agree more.

"Making light of the phony Earth Hour"

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe_warmington/2011/03/24/17744251.html

"We will not be in the dark," journalist and conservative commentator David Menzies said Thursday.

Instead, what you will find is a giant beacon in the sky emanating from his Richmond Hill street between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m.

"While everybody else has their lights off I will have every light in my house on," said Menzies, as he prepared for his second installment in mocking the "phony" Earth Hour movement.

He's also gone a step further.

"I have rented four rotating Hollywood movie lights which will light up the sky for miles," he said.

"I don't need to give you my address because all you need to do is look to the sky."

Pretty cool !!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's another "Earth Hour"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's another "Earth Hour"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's use it up now, and leave none for the kids !
by grimgraphix / March 26, 2011 12:03 PM PDT

I am amazed by the people who want to celebrate and encourage conspicuous consumption when it comes to energy.

" We can't run out... there's an endless supply... It's just scare tactics meant to manipulate us... "

If it was endless, then gasoline wouldn't cost as much as it does. If it was easily harnessed, then every mud hut in Asia and Africa would have a microwave. If energy production did no harm, then there would be no radioactive seas off the coast of Japan and there would be no smog covering all the major cities of the planet.

There ya go Mike. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Wink

Collapse -
I wish our ancestors had saved
by James Denison / March 26, 2011 12:15 PM PDT

some of that whale oil for us.

Collapse -
(NT) well, you can probably get radioactive porpoise oil cheap !
by grimgraphix / March 26, 2011 12:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
They did save plenty for us
by Mike_Hanks / March 26, 2011 10:23 PM PDT

But we don't need it.

I've never really understood the dim idea of saving resources for future generations. If that made sense, the next generation would save it for their next. Silly and ridiculous !!

Collapse -
exactly
by James Denison / March 26, 2011 11:03 PM PDT

we could save for the next generation and then wonder why we did it when they start using some other source of energy while what we could have used just sits in the ground.

Collapse -
That's right
by JP Bill / March 26, 2011 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: exactly

Use it "just because it's there"

Spend it "because the credit is there"

Eat it..."because you can"

A planet of excesses.

Collapse -
It always raises a red flag...
by J. Vega / March 27, 2011 2:59 AM PDT

For me, it always raises a red flag when somebody raises kids in the future. I think that in many cases that is done to implant something that is impossible to defend, harming children. You see it all the time. Cutting back something would take food from the mouths of children, overturning a new health care plan would take coverage from children, and so forth. Did you notice that when the Health Care bill was signed, there was a kid standing next to the President? That kid was put there by design.
That said, let's look at the thing being discussed in this thread, Earth Hour. Lighting is responsible for 8.8 percent of U.S. household electricity use. But the greatest share of household electricity use was for central air-conditioning at just over 15 percent of household use.
When I was growing up, household central-air conditioning was extremely rare, yet people got along just fine without it. Now, it is common. So, using the "for the future sake of kids" argument, wouldn't it be much more meaningful to give up central air-conditioning?

Collapse -
Yet, they never advocate
by James Denison / March 27, 2011 4:27 AM PDT

just a children's national health care plan, do they? Wink

Collapse -
Not what I wanted to hear
by Mike_Hanks / March 26, 2011 10:21 PM PDT

But it's what I expected

Collapse -
Then it is what you wanted to hear
by grimgraphix / March 27, 2011 1:21 AM PDT

You went phishing and caught what you expected. I'm glad I could brighten your day.

Wink

Collapse -
Refrigerated air conditioning
by drpruner / March 28, 2011 2:56 AM PDT

is also pretty cool. Sociologists say it has saved billions over the last century, what with more productive workers in the heat areas. Also brings out-of-season foods via rail. (The conditioners on reefer cars don't work off the grid, but indirectly from the diesel fuel driving the trains; no free lunch.)

Just an observation. No perfect solution to any problem, including progress.

Collapse -
Refrigerated railroad cars...
by J. Vega / March 28, 2011 3:33 AM PDT

Refrigerated railroad cars were a great idea, but the first ones using diesel powered refrigeration units went into service in 1958.

Collapse -
Right. Before that they ran mostly off
by drpruner / March 28, 2011 3:41 AM PDT

a hookup to the cars' trucks. The motive power still came out of whatever the trains used for fuel: coal or oil. Still an environmental factor, but people eat better. They also made CA and TX the ag powerhouses they are today.

Collapse -
The fist ones...
by J. Vega / March 28, 2011 3:56 AM PDT

The first ones used on board gasoline-powered engines, but that quickly developed to using electricity created by the engine's alternator.

Collapse -
Didn't know that. Thanks for the details.
by drpruner / March 28, 2011 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: The fist ones...

BTW gasoline more polluting- grim and I win!!!!!! Happy

Collapse -
Funny thing, dr...
by J. Vega / March 28, 2011 11:41 AM PDT

In a way, it's funny, dr, I worked in an airplane and flew in them in other work, yet for some reason got interested in trains when just messing around on my own time.

Collapse -
wild wild west
by James Denison / March 28, 2011 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Funny thing, dr...

LOL, made me think of that show where Robert Conrad and Martin Ross went around the west as secret service agents on a private train. I bought the whole series for my wife's birthday to distract her from RTV for awhile. Wouldn't it have been fun to ride the trains all the way from East to West back then when the country was young? When you considered the other ways of crossing the country, by rail was probably the best.

Collapse -
Stop by: We got trains!
by drpruner / March 29, 2011 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Funny thing, dr...

Belen is the Belen Cutoff to RR folks. RR execs in the traditional areas like Chicago and NY know of us; key point in western RR history.
Most other Americans think we're a small town in S America, perhaps. Happy

Collapse -
OTOH The child labor part took more
by drpruner / March 28, 2011 3:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Of course, dr...
by J. Vega / March 28, 2011 3:40 AM PDT

Of course, dr, considering that the thread conversation mentioned things like electric lighting and central-air conditioning in the home, some kids still are heard to gripe about child labor in the home (grin - I just couldn't resist that one).

Collapse -
(NT) Kids DO work in the home? Amazing? :-)
by drpruner / March 28, 2011 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Of course, dr...
Collapse -
(NT) Nah, urban legend
by Diana Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 7:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe a legend in urbans
by Roger NC / March 28, 2011 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Nah, urban legend

but still happens (if less than "the good old days") in rural homes.

Collapse -
Very good point. I've said before- maybe here-
by drpruner / March 29, 2011 4:22 AM PDT

that my best kids in school are the farm and ranch kids. One reason: You mess up on the farm the way city kids do in class and the cow dies!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!