PC Applications forum

General discussion

It's a two-parter.

by Cazzual_attire / September 3, 2005 9:32 PM PDT

[1] I have three separate wave files:
greetings.wav
professor falken.wav
chess.wav

What's the easiest/simplest way to join them into one single wav file?

(I've experimented with creating a playlist, which I called joshua, but during playback there's a noticeable pause as Media Player loads the third, larger-sized file.)

[2] How do you add the above, now one single wave
file (hopefully), to the startup in XP? Or is
there a better alternative?

(I've tried copying the playlist into the startup
folder, but then Media Player can't open
the wav files.)

So, when my computer boots up I'll hear, "Greetings Professor Falken. Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?"

And for extra credit - Can you name the movie?

Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It's a two-parter.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It's a two-parter.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try AUDACITY with google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2005 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a two-parter.

From memory you can append wave files.

Collapse -
Oddysey 2001?
by TONI H / September 3, 2005 10:17 PM PDT

HAL the computer?

How about using Sound Recorder, after using a 'merging' program, which is appears you've used already, to edit out the pause between each file and then save that new file? Sound Recorder comes free with windows and although pretty primative, it should do what you want fairly easily.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) NOOOO.......WarGames LOL
by TONI H / September 3, 2005 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Oddysey 2001?
Collapse -
Really? I would have bet money it was 2001 A Space Odyssey!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2005 5:43 AM PDT

I'm glad I didn't.

I used to use Nero's Wave editor, but haven't done that for some time.

How to get it to play on Startup?

Place the file in the C:/Windows/Media folder. Then goto Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices, choose Sounds and under Windows > Start Windows, select the Browse button to select your wav file.

Mark

Collapse -
Matthew Broderick
by TONI H / September 5, 2005 8:19 AM PDT

was in WarGames as a teenager messing with computers that hacked into the governments war chest. It was a great movie that I still have....and just as I posted the first response, I remembered it vividly as a scene at the end of the movie. What a trip down memory lane.....pulling out the movie to watch it again. lol

TONI

Collapse -
It is WarGames!
by Cazzual_attire / September 6, 2005 9:53 AM PDT

I am feelin' very old. I expected, like, so many users to have known this. War Games was a "must see" for my generation (TRS-80, Commodore VIC20 (and then the superior Commodore64 with sprite capability and SID chip), Texas Instruments 99/4A, Atari 5200, anyone?). There was even a Galaga arcade scene where a young Matthew Broderick allows his ship to be captured, only to double his firepower. Although I could be mistaken in this. HAL is freaky but Joshua had heart - "The only winning move is not to play." - I guess this film had great impact on me 'cuz I grew up in the Reagan era of nuclear arms build-up. This was before Cameron's "Terminator" even - but the "underground base" figures in "Terminator: Rise of the Machines." BUT it was the Joshua "voice" that always got to me - I can remember searching back in the days of BBS's and 300 baud modems for a Joshua-like synthesis (and people today think 56k is slow?).

I am going to try the suggestions, and plan to let you all know.

Toni gets a gold star (You are exempt from the final exam!). Hehehe :-D

Maybe I should keep this up? I have other issues concerning XP that are in some way connected to old movies. . .

Collapse -
Thank you! - One more thang!
by Cazzual_attire / September 6, 2005 8:28 PM PDT

Ok, I had the audacity to use audacity - and it worked like a charm! A big shout out to R. Proffitt!
Best of all its freeware.
Even better is that its freeware without any adware/spyware hidden in its install!
A rarity these days.

Merci beaucoup to MarkFlax for the directions where to place the file.

Congratulations Toni H! You're the first person to get my War Games theme when it's complete.

------------------------------------------------------
I created this picture of the Joshua mainframe, with blinking leds, that I want to use as my boot screen.
How can I go about doing this?
So, instead of seeing Windows XP with that scrolling thingie underneath it, I'll see the mainframe with blinking lights (an accompanying humming sound that the AI makes in the movie would be a bonus).

Sidebar: Do I really need to know I'm using Windows XP everytime I boot up? I mean, really. Not to go on a "Foamy the squirrel rant" (http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html)
Like I'm sitting there every day after turning on my computer thinking, "What operating system am I using again? Lemmee see." As if that huge pseudo-embossed metallic sticker saying Windows XP on my tower isn't enough

------------------------------------------------------
What was the name given to the AI mainframe the DOD uses in the movie?
I'll give you a hint - it's not the same name Falken usses.

Collapse -
The Whopper (WOPR)
by TONI H / September 7, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

Changing the Windows boot and/or shutdown splashscreens was a really simple thing to do with W98 and lower (maybe even W2K and ME) because you could take any .bmp and change the name in one of the windows folders from the original logo files. XP seems to have hidden those files extremely well with different names now that aren't even close to the original file names that used to be used.

I've been through the MSKB trying to search for how to do it now, and the same instructions for the older versions of windows is all that shows up for my search, but admittedly, I don't do searches in the MSKB anywhere near as well as some of the members here do. I couldn't even find anything in the resource kit that tells how to do it, and that file has much more information than a normal windows help search has available.

Hoping somebody like Cursorcowboy shows up with the info you want......if he does, and he would be the man with the answer, I'll be copying/pasting his response so I can add it to my website and tips files.

TONI

Collapse -
Some light reading
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2005 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: The Whopper (WOPR)
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?