General discussion

IT person says can't run Win 7 on new PC if others use XP?

I have not had very good experiences with our IT guy at work--he has some odd ideas like saying that Mozilla products are for "home users" only and insisting we can't use Firefox. I went ahead and purchased a new Dell Studio desktop with Win 7 for my office (without his advice, which annoyed him) and he is now insisting that I can't run Win 7--that all computers on the network must be on the same operating system (most are using XP), and he claims all computers must have same software, and has moved people "back" to Excel 2004, etc, removing newer editions.
I can't find any evidence to support this. He claims that the server won't run properly if we use different operating systems. I think he is misguiding us. Any input?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: IT person says can't run Win 7 on new PC if others use XP?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IT person says can't run Win 7 on new PC if others use XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That is basic "IT" staffer talk.

They have a hard enough time with just XP in the brew. For years we had NT, 2000, then XP in the brew of clients. We did however have to ditch DOS/98/ME systems due to too unstable and stealing IT staff time helping those that clung to the old systems. Good riddance to that.

HOWEVER the IT staffer would be in their rights to demand 7 Pro since that's what's needed in an domain or active server setting.

Don't battle too hard with them. I find they eventually explode or catch up.
Bob

- Collapse -
Locked.

The post in the Windows 7 forum is the right forum for this.

CNET Forums